“Best Steak & Ale pie ever!!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Red Lion

The Red Lion
Ranked #5 of 46 Bakewell B&B and Inns
South Yorks
“Best Steak & Ale pie ever!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2010

My husband and I have just enjoyed an overnight stay at the Red Lion in Bakewell. Booked as part of my husbands birthday treat, and as a couple with 2 young children who do not get away together that often!, I made the reservation with mixed expectations having read a few reviews, good and bad! Howerver, I have to say that we were pleasantly suprised. We found the place to be warm and cosy, our room was basic but clean and the staff were friendly, especially the little Australian manager (great character!) and it had a lovely atmosphere throughout the day and night. We would recommend the food, great portions, hearty and tastey. I particularly enjoyed the home made Steak & Ale pie and as a lover of good old traditional food I can confidently say with great enthusiasm that for me this was the best pie ever!! huge chunks of tender beef probably at least 2 inches deep so no scrimping on filling here! and nice light shortcrust topping - hmmm!...

The Red Lion is was it is, a tradional public house with b&b facilities in the centre of beautiful Bakewell. If you're looking for a nice base to stay it fits the bill, we would definately go back.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Gracicca

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Sheffield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2010

My husband and I stayed at The Red Lion over easter.The staff made us feel so welcome and were all exceptionally friendly.The atmosphere on Saturday evening was great so we decided to eat there.If you go try the sizzling steak and homemade chips they are delicious!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank AliceSheffield
St Helens
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2010

My Partner and I tried to make a booking for 20 people for a Wedding Meal on a Monday (Market Day) in June 2010. It was made clear that tables would not be reserved for the time we requested and we were left with the feeling that our business was too small to be of any interest. The Proprietor wanted to fit us in to suit himself and not us. When I emailed explaining how disappointed we were with our treatment, we received a sarcastic reply. This reveals the management as complete amateurs, not worth wasting any time on. My advice is to visit the Wheatsheaf, just up the road and in complete contrast to the Red Lion. The owners are warm and welcoming and customer-friendly.

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank REIW
Manchester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2009

We have visited Bakewell many times, we booked the Red Lion on arrival paid our bill then told they had double booked, we would spend 1. night in a double & then be moved into twin room, we were not happy about this, so off we went walking for the day & arrived back at 11.15 pm to be told again by member off staff who was rude, we found new accomadation and requested a full refuned which we got, the landlady appeared to say we could stay, the pictues on the website are not like the inside, the double was more like a box room with a damp patch on the wall for £70.00 per night , we would not advise anynoe to stay there, we will go back to Bakewell but not the Red Lion.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BakewellWalkers
Cheltenham
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2009

Rooms - nothing special

I cannot warn you enough about the quality of the food in this pub. Its simply dreadful. On first appearance the plates coming out of the kitchen looked really good, especially the roasts, how wrong could we be....

Firstly, out of the 6 of us, 4 went for the roast pork, unfortunately on 3 of the plates, they forgot the pork and on mine forgot the roast potatoes. I didnt mention the potatoes but they brought a plate of pork out. This was the only nice thing on the plate (or off the plate). The mash (strange with a roast) was stone cold and oddly topped with apple sauce, the leeks werent cooked, carrots fine, stuffing was clearly packet mix and not a very good one and the most revolting thing was the red cabbage which unbelieveably smelt of an ash tray. It was clearly burnt but how you achieve that aroma with cabbage is beyond me. It was probably the worst meal i have ever ever had. The pint of bombadier was nice but not a reason to ever set foot in there again. Go to the peacock, the manager may be a little cold but the food is very good.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank TravellerRob
chesterfield
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2008

I booked a night at the Red Lion as an anniversary surpise for my husband.On first arrival it was warm and welcoming and the friendly reception from the landlady was lovely...until she showed us to our room.The room was not ready and looked like the previous guest had just left!!! She quickly found us another room,smaller than the first but ok.We didn't eat there as I had booked somewhere else in the town,Alberts Restaurant (which I would recommend).
On return to the Red Lion we realised that it had its diadvantages to being next door to the Bakewell pudding shop,constant van door banging/revving from about 4o'clock in the morning!!
Breakfast fared no better with tea served sloppily in the cup with a tea bag and an average 'cooked ' breakfast.The portions of jam had already been opened and obviously enjoyed by someone else just like our room!
I think this is a shame as The Red Lion shows massive potential but as yet needs to be discovered!
My advice go for the Rutland.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
2 Thank fj70
devon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2008

I have just returned home from a 3 night stay at the Red Lion, and must say how much i enjoyed my stay. I was made very welcome by the landlord and landlady, and their friendly and efficient staff. The food and the accomodation were 1st rate, and i will certainly go back there soon. I would have no hesitation in recommending the Red Lion to my friends and family.

• Liked — the cleanliness and quality of furnishings
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank boveyboy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bakewell
Bagshaw Hall
#11 of 46 in Bakewell
The Farmyard Inn
The Farmyard Inn
#1 of 4 in Youlgreave

Been to The Red Lion? Share your experiences!