“The worst pub food we have ever had!”
Review of The Red Lion

The Red Lion
Ranked #7 of 44 Bakewell B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 11, 2013

My husband and I visited the pub today for a meal after having visited a few years ago and having a lovely meal, with good service and friendly atmosphere. Unfortunately things have changed and not for the better. I ordered scampi and my husband ordered cajun chicken sandwich. Both meals were very poor quality, the chips hard, greasy and full of eyes and my husbands chicken looked and tasted awful. We both left most of our meals and when the waitress collected the plates and we expressed our disappointment although she apologised she did not it seems pass the message on to the chef/manager or if she did it did not produce an explanation or apology from them. We got the impression that no one was that bothered whether we were satisfied or not. Such a shame that I cannot now recommend this pub, as we used to rate it highly and have many happy memories of visits with our children when they were younger. Sadly we will not be going back.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Sleeplesspsyche

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We have eaten here before, both from the bar/specials menu and for Sunday lunch. Previous times were great - basic pub food but lots of it home made and very large portions. This time, my steak onion and mushroom sandwich was delicious but the chips were very hard on the outside to the point I couldn't eat half of them - not the lovely chips we have had here before. Didn't bother to complain as I was full anyway. The price is OK considering the portions given. The only other thing I don't like about the lounge area is the whiff from the loos - it's worth moving up to the restaurant area! The local beers served were lovely.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We chose this pub at random after wandering around Bakewell this week and we're very glad we did! The local ales (Peak Ales, I think) were excellent; I had Bakewell Best Bitter and one of my group had Chatsworth Gold and there was also a really good selection of soft drinks for our designated driver.
Between us we ordered a steak sandwich with mushrooms and onions, a jacket potato with Chilli and cheese, a hot beef sandwich and a beef and ale pie.
The chips that come with the sandwiches and pie are probably the best I've ever had but even better was the gravy - better than your mother makes, for sure. The pie was packed with big chunks of meat and was made with proper pastry and despite it being fairly busy we were not kept waiting too long - the staff were very efficient, polite and friendly and nothing seemed too much trouble - they brought out drinking water for a dog near to us and we also saw high chairs available for small children.
All in all, if I am ever back in Bakewell, which I think I will be, I will head straight for the Red Lion for some more great food after a long day's walking! All four of our group would recommend this pub for an excellent quality meal!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sn0wman89
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Went here for lunch recently with a friend, I had the steak sandwich platter, he had the roast pork cob. Both were well presented, the portion sizes very generous and the chips were some of the best I've ever had! Staff very friendly and attentive as well. Definitely worth a visit if you're about in Bakewell

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

We stumbled across this pub whilst wandering around bakewell looking at all the cute little shops, we visited just after 12 noon, there were a few people eating already so we knew food was being served, we found a table easily and studied the menu, it was full of the usuall offerings you would expect from a pub, reasonably priced, there was a nice selection on the specials board but sadly only available for dinner service. We ordered steak & ale pie and half chicken, unfortunatly the chicken had run out! So I reordered the chilli & garlic bread. Both meals came out from the kitchen without much of a wait and were piping hot, the portions were great and both meals were really yummy and good quality. The staff behind the bar and serving we're all polite and helpful. The pub it's self was clean and felt warm and welcoming, I would like to return to sample some of the meals on the specials board at dinner service.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Well i booked a table for 18 of us, on the 24th Feb, for a walking group sunday tea. They were very accommodating and helpful on the telephone when making the booking. We all arrived and seated at the table, there was an extra person and they were very accommodating. Some of us had pre orded out sunday lunches as we know they are a busy pub (this was not requested by the pub), and others orded on the day.
The food arrived and it was wonderful the portions were massive, but the food very good quality. The staff were great it was all hands on deck concerning our group so they could get our food out hot.
Highly reccommend it for a big group though i know bakewell is busy and we booked for 4pm which i think was best time for us as they were not busy with food and we were not rushed or squashed.
We did not stay in the accommodation, this was food only

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Claire W
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Stayed here for a few nights whilst in the area on business. Very clean and comfortable room as was the rest of the place. Room very warm, so had to turn the radiator down and open window, but very cold outside so nice to have a good heating system.
I would have liked a little more water pressure in the shower, but it was adequate.
They are in the process of getting free wifi which is a good idea.
I enjoyed two evening meals , both were very nice, cooked on the premises.
I would have preferred breakfast to start earlier than 8.30 but can understand why not as there are only 5 or 6 rooms and only 2 rooms being used whilst I was there, perhaps they serve earlier when the place is busier.
Some very nice real ales, very nice staff and the landlord is a smashing chap! Will def return if in the area ! Thanks !

Room Tip: Def eat here and try the local beers they sell.