“One very unsatisfied customer”
Review of Castle Inn

Castle Inn
Ranked #10 of 89 Restaurants in Bakewell
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Not impressed. On all previous visits over several years my dietary needs I.e allergy to,potatoes has been met by having rice with any meal, not today apparently now it's only chips or potatoes, explained I'm allergic to them all I got was a shrug from staff member as if it was take it or leave it. Won't recommend to anyone again. Stars minus 5

Reviewed April 4, 2014

Called in to the Castle Inn for coffee & cake today. As always, we received a warm & friendly welcome. The prices for both meals & snacks are most reasonable - topped with first class service.
Would not hesitate to recommend this establishment.

Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Had visited before, so as we were staying locally at the Melbourne B&B, thought we'd take advantage.
Lots of atmosphere and a good choice of beers. Wine a little overpriced maybe, but not terrible I guess. £4.30 for small glass seems wrong when a nice pint of IPA Gold was £2.50.
Anyway, afternoon snack was beef chilli Nachos- very nice and plenty for two!

Dinner later (about 9.15) was very efficiently dealt with, my only gripe was portion size I'm afraid, I had the mushrooms stuffed with Stilton with garlic bread. Beautifully cooked and very very tasty, however 3 mushrooms (chestnut, not big Portobello's) is a bit half hearted I'm afraid.
Main course, I had surf and turf-8 ounce rump with a skewer of prawns.
Again, cooked to perfection, but I'm afraid 8 ounces seems to be quite a variable amount, mine was definitely on the small side of 8.
Also a skewer of prawns to me suggests something a touch bigger than a thick cocktail stick! 2 prawns!! Tastily cooked though.
Served with tasty chips and peas, topped off with peppercorn sauce. All very good JUST NOT BIG ENOUGH.
My partner had salmon served on wood, which was tbh over cooked and again, not enough of it.
I know pubs have to maintain a margin, but how about offering a large portion option? Best of both worlds. We get delicious food, and enough of it!
My only actual complaint was over eager staff clearing plates away far too quickly and setting up next days tables all around us, felt a bit canteen like I'm sorry.
My last few comments sound overly negative, I will be visiting and eating here again, just I will be sure to ask for a bigger portion, and maybe arrive a little earlier.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Called on a fairly busy Saturday evening, nice atmosphere and welcoming roaring fire. Friendly staff and locals. We only wanted something light to eat so availed ourselves of the 2 for a tenner menus. Arrived promptly, was excellent value and very tasty. All in all a smashing pub.

Reviewed March 20, 2014

Friendly pub, roaring fire, great range of real ales - there - said it all. Didn't eat, but was very jealous of the good honest home-made pub food everyone else was eating. Try their Castle Ale. Would definitely pop in for a pint if we're in Bakewell again.