“Rude and poor service. Mediocre tart !”

The Bakewell Tart Shop & Coffee House
Ranked #43 of 89 Restaurants in Bakewell
Cuisines: British, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Description: Cosy Cafe/Tea rooms, a family owned buisness famous for the Traditional Bakewell Tart. Great menu including breakfasts, lunches, cream teas, snacks and lite bites and delicious cakes.Retail shop open for freshly baked bread and confectionery.Teas, Coffees, cold drinks, freshly made sandwiches, toasties and jacket potatoes to take-away. OPEN 7 DAYS PER WEEK FROM 8.30 A.M. OUTDOOR SEATING AVAILABLE FROM MARCH TO SEPTEMBER.
Reviewed July 26, 2014

We arrived at about 4.35 on a Saturday afternoon keen for tea and tart. And tart was what we got. The waitress was exceedingly sharp, refusing me an extra cup to share my daughter's pot of tea, and not managing to serve ice cream in a separate dish despite being asked with humour. Coffee was served in the saucer. I was careful with my tone. A neighbouring customer approached me as she was leaving and said I handled it well, so I'm sure I wasn't too demanding or rude in return. The waitress explained they were closing, but if that was the case then she should have said so and not taken the order at all. Better to get it right, or to not try at all, than to get it so badly wrong. My receipt, brought with the order, once corrected, was timed 16.46.

2  Thank JCScotland
zoe m, Owner at The Bakewell Tart Shop & Coffee House, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

After reading your review I have spoken with the staff on duty at the time and it would appear that you arrived after the kitchen and coffee shop had closed at 4.30pm which you may not have been aware of, although we were closed you were served as we did not want to disappoint you.
you ordered a pot of tea for one and asked for an extra cup to share with a another member of your group, you were advised that a pot for two people would be chargeable.
All our customers normally would order a drink each.
Regarding the ice cream which we serve in the same dish with our desserts, after bringing this to your table you requested for the ice cream to be put in a cup, which I understand you were all sharing, maybe when you ordered it if you had made us aware that you were all sharing it would have been done before it was served to you and more cutlery could have been supplied also.
The member of staff has assured me that she was not rude to you, explaining that a pot for one is not the same price as a pot for two and an extra payment would be required obviously offended you.

Reviewed July 11, 2014

I always visit this shop when in Bakewell. Perhaps 8 times over the past 30 years (I live hundreds of miles away) and it has never dissapointed. If you are anywhere near call in and at least buy authentic, original, genuine Bakewell Puddings & Pies, or even the iced variety that a certain cakemaker popularised. If course you have to be an almond lover because this product definitely contains nuts. Love it. If you cannot finish (because it's very rich) just wrap it up and take-away. I buy to take-away for numerous 'appreciative Southerners' and the product travels very well and lasts in the refigerator once you get home.

zoe m, Owner at The Bakewell Tart Shop & Coffee House, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2014

Thank you very much for your review and for visiting our shop every time you visit Bakewell, we have quite a following of customers who have to keep coming back to take Bakewell tarts and our traditional pies back home for friends and relatives.
This is really appreciated and look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Thanks again

Reviewed July 7, 2014

Called in for lunch, what an excellent meal we had. Pleasant friendly staff, quick service and very good prices. Will be back.

Thank you for your review, your comments are really appreciated.
Look for to meeting you on your next visit.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

We went here in June after scoping out Bakewell and it certainly seemed the best place. We had a sit down and shard a Bakewell tart and Bakewell pudding. Delicious. It don't let your eyes get bigger than your belly as it's very sweet and we struggled towards the end!
Staff were lovely and the place was buzzing with people. We took a Bakewell tart home too as it was so good.
Bakewell itself is a beautiful place and as we had just come from a trip to Cornwall I was surprised to find it was prettier and 'quainter' than anywhere I had seen there.

zoe m, Owner at The Bakewell Tart Shop & Coffee House, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2014

What lovely comments, thank you so much. You certainly seem to have enjoyed your Tart versus Pudding experience.
We agree Bakewell is a lovely place to live, work and visit, great to know we can beat the best in Cornwall too!

Reviewed June 7, 2014

Visited Bakewell mainly to go here! We love Bakewell Tarts but have to say the real tarts are quite different to Mr Kipling and the like. Ooh the lard! We went in, there are a few tables, very small area, but had one iced bakewell and one slithered almond bakewell which we had warmed with custard. Amazing. You are offered all tarts and puddings either cold, with cream or icecream or warmed with custard. We had one of each and shared. We're we full! Went for the experience, staff friendly, quite pricey. strangley everything served with slices of oranges??
Also has large bakery, bread cakes, and tourist tins of biscuits and the like.

Thank you for your lovely comments, so pleased you enjoyed your Bakewell Tart, although we have a relatively small shop, there certainly is a lot going on inside!
hope to see you again.