“Fantastic food”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

We visited Rajas late Friday night. When we went in there was only a few other diners in so not much of an atmosphere. The restaurant was lovely, beautifully and tastefully decorated.

The food was excellent. We had Chicken Bhuna and it was spot on. Tender chicken and perfectly spiced sauce. Garlic naan was the best I have ever tasted.

3  Thank Aitchmcc71

Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

I cannot recommend this restaurant enough. The whole service was a completely fantastic experience. The food however was even better. Welldone to Raj and his team. We will definitely be supporting this delightful restaurant.
Richard & Sue

4  Thank Peakdiners
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Arriving in Bakewell on a Friday evening after a long drive, we wanted something quick and simple to eat and of course curry usually fits that bill. Raja's however is much more that just a curry house. The ambience is superb. A large airy dining room (one of my pet hates in restaurants is rubbing shoulders with my fellow diners) instantly afforded us a sense of welcome and relaxation. Drinks were ordered and arrived quickly without fuss and the waiting staff were extremely attentive without being obtrusive as we perused the menu. All the standard dishes were there, but there was a varied and interesting specials board with a bit more of a southern indian influence than is usual in most british curry houses. The food was superb. Everything gave the impression of a chef who enjoyed what he was doing as it tasted fresh and lght with the sauces and seasoning subtle rather than overpowering. I would thoroughly recommend a visit if you are ever in the area.

5  Thank Clanger62
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Living in the area and having been disappointed by all Indian restaurants in Matlock,I chanced upon Rajas in Tripadvisor reviews. First impressions were that the staff were very polite and the ambiance with the real wood fire was excellent. Service was first rate for drinks and starters.
I took to ordering from the flourescent specials board - a bit out of keeping with the rest of the pleasant decor - a fish Balti,priced £14.50 and asked for it to be more than medium spiced.
The other main was a Chicken Pasanda.
The Balti delivered the flavour I enjoy but with only five small pieces of soggy fish, it lacked the quality of an overpriced special dish. Having eaten the fish and some of the sauce,what was left behind was a large amount of large pieces of just cooked onion.The almonds in the Pasanda had been burnt leaving a bitter taste to a sauce that contained very little chicken.
The table was well laid out and I observed that new linen was used after diners had left the table.
However, paper serviettes stuffed into the wine glasses to be used in place of cloth napkins detracted from the dining experience.
The search continues for a decent curry experience in the Dales.

1  Thank karenm734_12
Reviewed January 27, 2013

What can I say. We had a wonderful meal at Rajas in Bakewell. Everything was spot on. Also, it was the first time we've had a curry in front of a roaring log fire! We will return.

4  Thank Tebor123