“Good for Lunch”

Ranked #2 of 3 Bakeries in Bakewell
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Bakewell is nice, unlike the eponymous pudding.
It is a lovely place to while away two or three hours looking round what it has to offer which seems to be limited to: Bakewell pudding shops (several claiming to be the original) outdoor clothing stores, fish and chip shops, butchers, bakers and maybe even a candlestick maker.
Worth a visit, say, once every five years when you haven't got anything to do on a Thursday afternoon and finding ourselves in this situation we decided to visit and have some lunch.
We decided on the Original Bakewell Pudding Shop restaurant purely on the basis that it wasn't far from the car-park and seemed to be not too busy.
The upstairs restaurant is pleasant in a fake olde-worlde way and the staff are pleasant and efficient and we were quickly shown to our table.
The menu was quite comprehensive and we were drawn to the Ploughman's Lunch which we both opted for - my wife having never sampled this seventies country pub favourite.
The plate was substantial and consisted of, two types of bread, ham, three sorts of cheese, pork pie, apple slices, salad and a pot of tomato relish and surprisingly a pot of houmous (tasted good and seemed to go well with the rest of the stuff). It must have been the lunch of a modern urban ploughman.
Having sampled, over many years, a lot of less than satisfactory ploughman's lunches, I can declare this to be the best I have ever had and my wife really enjoyed her first sampling of this traditional English fare.
This place isn't cheap though and I thought the drinks were way overpriced (£3.75 for mocha with a completely unecessary lump of clotted cream floating in it!
Would we go back? Probably not as it will likely be something else when we make our next visit to Bakewell - in five years.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (1,737)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Both my partner and I are GF and my other half had been so hyped to find this place after reading up loads about it's gluten free options. The biggest disappointment came from the staff in the shop, unhelpful, rude, dismissive literally left the shop feeling really miffed.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I went here with my parents and brother and the food was not that bad, the drinks was ok, it felt a little bit crowded and the tables was to close together, a 6 foot person like me found it hard to sit down without bashing the table behind me

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The most wonderful Bakewell Pudding ever! Love this historic establishment and always make a stop when Im in the area. Great food.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Service quick and our waiter very polite and helpful. The only complaint that I would have is that the drinks are over priced. Have to say though Bakewell Puddings are superb.