“plenty of choice”

Ranked #1 of 3 Bakeries in Bakewell
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Traditional shop for a market town lots of nice things to pick from. you can have as much or as few as you want. The puddings are fresh and tasty

Reviewed July 24, 2014

Ordered everything from sausage rolls to Welsh rarebit to eat in. The food was really good but found the experience of ordering and attitude of (some) of the staff tiring. Most had no idea about the food on the menu, how much things cost and the poor chap on the till had no idea how to work it! A question on drinks for the kids was met with a terse "just wait!". We had a tray full of drinks spilt over us and into our backpack. To be fair, the waitress did apologise but as I emptied my bag of fleeces and jackets now covered in beer I was a bit annoyed that she then tried to blame the kitchen for loading the tray incorrectly. Start of the summer so prob new staff. Note other recent reviews didn't suffer fm this - perhaps just a bad day.

1  Thank scourtnadge
Reviewed July 20, 2014

I had never heard of a Bakewell pudding until a recent visit to Bakewell - I was missing out! Flaky pastry, soft custard and a hint of sweet strawberry - delicious! The front window was so inviting and oozed village charm. A vast array of goodies plus a gift shop to browse. We ate our pastries across the street, surrounded by the roses of the Memorial Garden.

Reviewed July 18, 2014

Traditional tea shop with a difference in serving a good selection of dishes including the home made Bakewell Pudding. Upstairs cafe with bakery and gift shop downstairs means not too suitable for disabled.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

In the UK, Mr Kipling is the default Bakewell tart, including white icing and a cherry. So I thought as I was near Bakewell I would pop in and try the real thing. Move over Mr Kipling, the real thing is a "Bakewell pudding". Suffice to say flaky pastry, jam and some sweet almondish centre. really sweet, but really really nice. So for £14, you can sample, two Bakewell puddings, two traditional scones with jam and cream and two drinks of our choice. All sitting in the patio soaking in the sun and chilling. Not bad.