“Let Down”

Byways
Ranked #56 of 84 Restaurants in Bakewell
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: Cafe serving homecooked homely food.
York
“Let Down”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

Its 12 years since we last visited Bakewell so we were pleased to see Byways was still there having had super food there in the past......What a let down, I had the Hawaian Rarebit which was a slice of very soggy bread covered in a very sloppy sauce with so much mustard that that was all I could taste, the side salad consisted of a tiny amount of lettuce,a quarter of a tomato and a slice of cucumber, it was so disappointing. To be fair when we mentioned it it was knocked off the bill but it seems such a shame that the standard of food there has fallen so much.

• Visited October 2012

“We are looking forward to lunch there again very soon!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

We visited today and it was very chilly outside so we opted for a nice warm lasagna. It was lovely, nice creamy sauce and it wasn't floating in tomato sauce as they often are. The garlic bread that was served with it was nice and crunchy and not just soggy garlic-buttery bread. Very nice. We were too full for pudding.
A lady at the next table was having a ploughmans lunch and it looked fresh and really tasty, that will be my
Choice next time I think!
The staff were polite and courteous.
It cost around £16 for the two lasagnas a pot of tea and a pint of diet coke. Bargain!

Manchester, United Kingdom
“A real quaint authentic old english establishment”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

I have seen all the earlier reviews & I can vouch for their responses to this place. We've been coming here for a number of years now & have seen the other owner's. It feels to me very much the same. The only comment I would say is that the mushrooms on toast that I had from the previous owner's were far better done than the new owner's. The old way was that the mushrooms were cut up not whole as now. They were cooked in garlic & butter. Mouthwateringly gorgeous. ooh! I do miss them! The new way of doing them isn't so good. Bland! The bread used for the mushrooms was a very nice tasty brown bread.
Apart from that I do love having my earl grey tea as tea leaves and using a tea strainer is so old fashioned but great! with a pot extra of water so that you can get the strength of tea you want.

I like going upstairs to the rooms. They have 3. One is with a fireplace and feels cosy when on. The tables are a mixed sized old fashioned wooden one's and chairs to match. Nice atmoshere as well with pics on the walls. A good choice of menus to choose from with a daily board as well. I miss the old china they had though. Staff pleasant & helpful. I'll still be going back there from time to time & try some thing else to eat.

Radstock, United Kingdom
“A hidden gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

Although not obvious to the passing trade it is worth seeking out this excellent tea room. Whether you want a cup of tea or a full English breakfast, a toasted teacake or a cream tea or even their delicious chicken pie - the climb up the stairs is well rewarded! Delightful rooms decorated with an eclectic mix of treasures and curios and (in the winter) a real coal fire make the visit a memorable experience. I have visited on numerous occasions and have always found the staff to be pleasant , efficient and welcoming. I love it!!

Sheffield
“Charming cafe with no frills”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

There is something for everyone in this cafe. Whether you're after morning coffee and cake, a light lunch, or a full blown meal you'll find it here.
The staff are always friendly, efficient and willing to please and there is a great atmosphere.
My personal recommendations would be the scone with jam and cream (served warm is best), the ham and pineapple toastie (with a side order of chips!) and of course the banana split (it's gigantic). Everything I've seen being served looked lovely though.

1 Thank LibsDibs