“Narnia 2013 - better organisation required to deal with the numbers!”
Review of Chatsworth House

Chatsworth House
Book In Advance
More Info
$679.48*
and up
5-Day Heart of England Tour from London: North Wales, Stratford-upon-Avon...
Ranked #2 of 28 things to do in Bakewell
More attraction details
Owner description: Chatsworth, home of the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire, is set in the heart of the Peak District in Derbyshire, on the banks of the river Derwent. Explore the historic house for fascinating stories and one of Europe's most significant art collections. In the garden, discover water features, giant sculptures and beautiful flowers set in Britain's most stunning and surprising country estate. Or come face to face with our farm animals in our working farmyard and enjoy adventurous fun in the playground. Furthermore, with holiday cottages and hotels, shops and restaurants, including Britain's best farm shop, you can really make the most of your time with us.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Stairs / elevator
Reviewed December 23, 2013

As a family we are regular visitors to Chatsworth and are firm fans - we enjoy spending time in the beautiful gardens, house and other attractions - which are second to none. However, having visited today - the final day of the Christmas Narnia decorations I have to say the experience was lacking. In previous years we have visited earlier on in the Christmas season and haven't had reason for complaint. However, perhaps because it was the final day, I'm not sure, it wasn't the best. We had to queue for quite some time in the rain and wind and then after a while under an awning. We had pre booked so waited less than the other poor people in the longer queue. However, the whole event was basically one long queue - it was impossible to view the decorations properly as you were constantly hemmed in with crowds of people. It felt claustrophobic and unpleasant for the most part. I am not sure how this can be managed in the future but it doesn't work currently. The decorations themselves were beautiful but the experience wasn't the best it could have been.

2  Thank Britgirls
Write a ReviewReviews (6,507)

Reviewed December 23, 2013

Looked forward to seeing display, as seen advertised on television - display was worth it and very good for Christmas atmosphere. However, took an hour or more to get into car park and then very long queues to get into the house, but not so bad as we already had tickets. However, the display was very good, but was only about half an hour to walk through, so did not seem long enough, and thought there would be more to see. Outdoor catering poor, was advertising certain food but when trying to order this, was told did not have it and only had alternative. Christmas at Chatsworth is a bit of a rip off !

4  Thank Cineworld341
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Today (23/12) myself my husband and two children visited chatsworth for the lion the witch and the wardrobe. We queued for an hour and a half ( were told when joined queue it was a 45 minute wait)even though my husband had bought per booked tickets. The queue was mostly outside ( pretty bad weather today!) and the staff did offer the occasional umbrella but they were broken. To be honest we didn't get to see the grand urge of the place, just felt like we were conveyed around the few rooms we had access to like cattle. We had to park on the grass and my husband and many others got the cars stuck in the mud. Not the first time I have felt chatsworth have just got as many people in to maximise profits but service not been great. Will be writing a complaint to chatsworth it was that bad! Complete waste of 55 pound

6  Thank Kitty S
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Sweeping down the road to Chatsworth House, I can see what Jane Austen was thinking when she was writing about Pemberley in Pride and Prejudice. I have visited many times at different times of the year and Christmas time was a first for me, my mum, my daughter and grand-daughter. All in I think it is a tad pricey, however we all enjoyed the decorations and the christmas theme, the price of decorations have to be costed in to the visit and there were plenty of them. A visit at different times of year is a must to enjoy the gardens to the full and the whole house is just amazing and is a must see.....the cafe and shops are always worth a visit....and yes I will be going back again.

Reviewed December 23, 2013

We have visited Chatsworth many times but we thought let's go and see it at Christmas and we were not disappointed. There is plenty to do and the staff were very helpful. The house has been lovely to walk around and see all the giant christmas trees.