“Poor”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My sixth family birthday celebration at le mistral was spoilt by the poor quality of food. The fact that there was no mussel available was an initial blow which then went from bad to worse. Two of us had the mushrooms as a starter, which totally lacked any flavour-I think they had also run out of garlic. The main courses of duck and chicken were dry and over cooked. Fortunately the service was good.

Judith

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Booked a table on Saturday evening for 8.30. Ordered garlic bread and garlic mushrooms for a starter but they had run out of mushrooms...so shared a garlic bread between us which was ok.
I ordered duck, which was very salty with dauphinoise potatoes and green beans wrapped in parma ham. i think it had been left in the oven while they cremated my husbands vegetable crepe.
The parma ham had dried up and the the dauphinoise had turned to mush. My husband complained about the very burnt crepe and this was exchanged for another which was very greasy.
Why send out a burnt crepe in the first place when it only takes a few minutes to make a fresh one.
The wine (Prosecco) was lovely if not a tad expensive at £22.00 a bottle.
I cant see us going back again..

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I have eaten here on a number of occasions including a 14 person birthday lunch. We have never been disappointed and always had tasty fresh food. I have only had cause to complain on one occasion, when a pasta dish had a layer of grease on it. I complained as soon as I saw it and the staff immediately offered me another dish. Some staff can be friendlier than others but overall they are very efficient.
I would not hesitate to eat here whenever I visit Bakewell and the fixed price lunch menu represents very good value.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

Cannot comment on the full price menu but the fixed priced lunch menu was great value and tasty.

Wine by the glass a bit pricy for the quality on offer but to be honest that's true for most chain owned restaurants.

Would recommend for a leisurely lunch if your in the area.

1  Thank MysteryGuestRochdale
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We've been here a lot since it opened and it generally does what it does well. The other night they were caught out by one party arriving early and another party arriving late. The net effect was us having a 20 minute wait to order and a 75 minute wait for starters - which is just not good enough. We complained and the (very good) main courses arrived quickly and well cooked.

I think they were just caught out by these parties -and having too few staff on - but worth being careful on busy evenings or if you're in a rush. That said, do try the Pork Belly or the Steaks - wonderful. They do a 'two meals including a bottle of wine for £26' deal some nights - so it's worth looking for that as well.