“Sweet little gem”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Sweet little gem”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Discovered this gem in 2012 and make a beeline for it whenever we're in Bakewell. Never been disappointed. Spent many a pleasant hour treating ourselves to their delicious produce.

We always eat outside, either in the beautiful courtyard or under the archway. It's a lovely setting. They thoughtfully provide blankets for chilly days. Provide water for the dogs.

They have a unique menu, with hot chocolate to die for. Serve quality foods made with selectlocal ingredients. Everything we've had has been delicious. Prices are very reasonable too.

• Visited August 2013

Melbourne, Australia
“Lovely place and food, poor service...”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We've eaten here several times - it has become our favourite place in Bakewell (taking over from Treeline). Alas the last two times we've been in (sundays), the service has been very slow and poor. The first visit we waited ages - at least 40 minutes - for our food, without any warning there would be a delay. We had to rush to get back to the car because the parking ticket was due to expire, which meant we had to rush out food and asked for the bill. We did chase the order, but I am not sure it made much difference.

Our more recent visit had similar problems. We were warned this time there would be a wait on food. So, I ordered two cakes with our coffees and asked for them to come out with the coffee. It took around 15 minutes for the 2 coffees and 2 cokes to arrive. No cakes. I asked the waitress if we could get the two cakes and she said she'd bring them. Nothing... we waited around 30 minutes after the coffees before the food came, which was a bit long really as we were at the 45 minute mark again. We had no cutlery so we asked if we could get some. The waitress disappeared for some time, before eventually bringing back only 2 sets of cutlery (there were 4 of us). We waited as we thought maybe she had gone to get some more but nothing... So, I went and asked at the counter and they gave me some more. I would say the food is generally very good - certainly by Bakewell standards. The bacon and sausage is excellent! We've had the breakfast before which is good, and the paninis are nice. Mine came without the promised caremalised onions this time. The sundaes are great!!! The cakes, when they finally arrived were naff this time - we we were gutted! We had a brownie and "billionaires" shortbread. The brownie was dry and the shortbread had been overworked and was so crumbly you couldn't eat it without it falling to pieces. This is such a shame as the little shortbread biscuits that came with the drinks were brilliant. So, I think this place may be struggling to cope with its own success. I am very happy it is successful after the fear it would be "Costa'd" - but please keep up with the service side of things.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Scootar123
West Yorkshire, UK
“Amazing!”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Is there nothing these ladies cannot make out of chocolate? The shop and cafe are amazing, the chocolate gifts are out of this world. The staff are lovely. I can't wait to go again.

• Visited May 2013
Sheffield, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“love it”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Hi everyone. I have been to shop a few times and i love it. Chocolate is amazing and the girls in the shop.are great.
This is the place to visit in bakewell 

• Visited August 2013
Redditch, United Kingdom
“Ideal if you can sit in the courtyard”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We were very lucky as it was a beautiful warm afternoon in Bakewell, and as I am in a wheelchair we could not have sat upstairs. We sat in the courtyard which is very quaint and lovely surroundings. We missed breakfast due to early start so opted for the breakfast menu. Nicely cooked and very friendly staff. So wish we had come back for late afternoon tea and cake as the next place we choose was awful. The cakes here looked lovely, as well as all the chocolate in the little shop. If I'm ever in this area again I will definitely revisit. Highly recommend.

• Visited September 2013