“Friendly and efficient service”
Review of Hobb's Cafe

Hobb's Cafe
Ranked #34 of 91 Restaurants in Bakewell
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Cafe and craft centre with stunning views over Monsal Dale.
Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

I turned off the Monsal Trail after the Tunnel at the Monsal Viaduct and took the steep uphill trail for the Cafe. It is also accessible by road.

The building was erected during construction of the Derby to Manchester railway in the 1850s and was used as a bunkhouse for the navvies and as an office for the paymaster. It opened as a tearoom in the 1930s.

Pros:
-Short stay (max 1 hour) and long stay car parks available adjacent to premises
-Free WiFi (see staff for password)
-Shoe covers for muddy boots
-Clean and well-maintained premises.
-Spacious interior, so the tables aren't on top of one another.
-Numerous friendly & efficient uniformed staff.
-Food includes sandwiches, soup and cakes. Drinks include coffee, tea, hot chocolate and cold drinks. I had a latte (£2.30) and a scone (£2.90). Food & drink arrived in 5 minutes of ordering.
-Specials board.
-Multiple copies of the Peak Advertiser newspaper available to read.
-Local attraction leaflets.
-Wood laminate floor section and hard tiled floor section.
-Wooden tables and chairs.
-Some outside seating available in front of premises.
-Great views onto the valley below.
-Unisex toilet
-Attached shop selling international crafts.
-Two love birds in a cage!

Cons:
-Food and drink a little more expensive than nearby Bakewell.

1  Thank jonotennis

Reviewed May 5, 2013

As regular walkers around Derbyshire, we often make detours to this tea shop and craft shop. It serves the nicest caramel latees and hot chocolates this side of Italy and has the best view in Derbyshire. The welcome we get is lovely - as soon as I spoke today, the owner said that mine was a voice he thought he recognised and that it was lovely to see us once again (even though he doesn't know us by name!) Well worth either a drive up to from Bakewell or a walk up from the nearby Monsal Trail. The value for money is also amazing - The Derbyshire Cream Tea for two is well worth the money. Less than £10 for two light, warm scones, jam, clotted cream or butter and a pot of tea which gives 6 cups! Plenty to replenish those stomachs after a walk up from the valley. A superb tea shop - give it a try!

Reviewed April 27, 2013

This is a little gem with good parking and views to die for. They serve the best coffee around as well as delicious home made delights - ideal if you are on one of the many walks in this lovely part of the world and you are ready for a bit of a rest and some nourishment.

1  Thank Longey
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Having walked up the Monsal Trail ,in Springtime blizzard conditions to Monsal Head, we came across the welcoming sight of Hobbs Cafe and Craft Shop .
After covering our boots with the covers supplied we walked into a lovely clean,warm and welcoming cafe. The owner was a really pleasent guy who quickly and politely served up coffee's and hot chocolate...mmmmm lovely.
A very welcoming place on a very cold day. We'll be back but not untill it warms up a bit..!!

raylambe, Owner at Hobb's Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Delighted to hear you made it back. Hope the Angler's opened on time.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Yep, I was not surprised to read a review of nasty and aggressive service at Hobbs. I went there for coffee with some walking friends. I asked for a mocha latte and I was served a horrible, syrup sweet thing, which would have constituted a meal in its own right. I brought it back and said I hadn’t expected the coffee to have been made with syrup. The tall male manager took the patronising tone first ‘Well you asked for mocha it does have chocolate.’ I told him I was not expecting it to be made with chocolate syrup. I said I just wanted a latte and I would be fine with the difference in price. I sat down expecting that to be end of things, and to get a replacement drink, in accordance with my consumer rights. But then he stated shouting over to me from the counter, he still had the coffee in his hand and he said that if I didn’t stir it I could still drink it as a latte. Bear in mind that this shouting over to me is going on in a crowded room with all tables full. This guy knew he had the power of public embarrassment on his side. He then asked me (publicly) if I expected him to give him a free cup of coffee and I said yes. He proceeded to proclaim loudly that this wasn’t fair. So in short this is a man who is content to go to that level of effort to publicly embarrass people over the price of a cup of coffee. We’re talking cost price to him here, so we are talking pence to him. I didn’t get to drink coffee which I’d paid for and I was not offered a refund.

7  Thank maria c
raylambe, Owner at Hobb's Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

In our short time here we've served around half a million customers. Most appear to be happy with our efforts but inevitably some slip through the net and, as is the modern way, dash to the internet to write something scathing. We tend not to place too much importance upon the bad reviews because we remember well the people and the circumstance which caused them to take up the sword. More often than not it's a case of someone behaving without consideration for other customers and our having to deal with it doesn't always go down too well. On most of those occasions we hear the word "review" brandished at us like a stick with which to beat us but, as I say, it's just the modern way.
But this was different. This was an intelligent young lady who ordered and paid for a mocha latte then demanded that we replace it with something else, free of charge, because she didn't think it should contain mocha sauce. It's a pity because we use a lovely mocha sauce and we sell a lot of mocha lattes. But it wasn't a request for a replacement - it was a demand, made quite publicly and after having walked to the front of the queue so I told her that her approach wasn't fair. It wasn't, and as for demanding a free replacement because it wouldn't cost us much - I'm not sure that makes it right. So off we go to the internet to tell the world about that nasty man ............bah! Now, where's that stupid waiter.........Manuel ! Manuel !