“Excellent Cafe”

Hassop Station Cafe & Monsal Trail Cycle Hire
Ranked #7 of 86 Restaurants in Bakewell
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Scenic view, Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Situated on the Monsal trail near Bakewell. Serving freshly prepared Breakfast, Lunch and Afternoon Tea using local produce. Open evenings during the spring and summer with fresh, stone baked pizzas. Ample parking, disabled access. Counter service. Bookshop, Gift Shop and Cycle Hire on site. Cycle Hire open 9-5, 7 days a week all year round
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent Cafe”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

The variety of food is great, the cafe is very clean and the staff are very helpful. Stopped there quite a few times and every visit was faultless. Very clean amenities.

Visited September 2013

• Greek first
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Poor service for cycle hire”
Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

This review is based purely on the cycle hire and not on the cafe, which we didn't use.

We had a wowcher for cycle hire for 2 and on arrival I went to check we were ok to use the voucher on that day, which was fine. I was told at this point that I had to leave a form of ID as a deposit which wasn't mentioned on the deal so anyone going please be aware if this. The young guy that served us was miserable and rude, didn't even nearly crack a smile. He wanted to take my bank card as a deposit and wrapped it in a piece of paper with my name and address on and put it in an open, non secured box under the counter! (Serious breach of data protection there?!). I refused to leave this and instead left my licence card and it was really lucky I had this as I don't usually carry it. Surely there must be a better way of taking a deposit from people? Maybe a swipe of the card like when you set up a tab or security deposit at a hotel?! He also told us we couldn't park in the customer car park which is free and instead had to use the pay and display one where you pay £4.50 for the day (on top of the cycle hire). The bikes themselves were in good condition and decent quality. when returned I was given my licence back from the unsecured box (surprisingly it was still there). I have reviewed the Monsal Trail separately as this is beautiful so please don't be put off. With the regular cycle hire prices as high as the are, I just wouldn't go back and pay full price. Couple of bits of advice. If you're parking to walk, use the Bakewell station car park - it's only £3.50 for a full day there. If you want to hire a cycle, there is a hire shop and tuck shop at the Wye Dale end. We used the tuck shop there and the staff were pleasant and friendly and from what we could see the prices were better too; I would go there instead next time.

Visited September 2013
Hassopstation, Owner at Hassop Station Cafe & Monsal Trail Cycle Hire, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
We are sorry that your experience of our cycle hire was disappointing for you.
However, having hired thousands of bikes out over the last couple of years we have had NOT ONE issue with ID theft or data protection. The box for ID is kept behind the counter which is manned all day and never left unattended. We also have CCTV, Alarm etc etc. We tried deposits on Credit cards and it proved to be unworkable in this environment as people returning bikes queued up and often didn't have the card with them etc. Much easier for everyone to just hand the ID back as they handover the bikes.
There is free parking for café customers and also a large pay and display car park that is operated by a third party. ie NOT BY US.
We offer cycle hire for 2hrs, 4hrs or Full Day at £10, £14 and £17 so there is a choice rather than one flat fee.
We are conveniently located just outside Bakewell and boast a fantastic café, bookshop and gift shop on site too! Well worth the visit!
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“good food, but poor service!”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

we went cycling on the monsal trail and finished up here to use our groupon voucher. any main meal and cream tea for two, bargain! we asked if we could order our our main courses and hold the cream teas until we were ready, so we could have a wine and beer with our main meals, but the answer was no, because it made it too complicated!? so the wife had a wine while i was forced to have a pot of tea for two to myself. we both had burgers, which were very good. but by the time i got to my scone, my tea was cold, so asked for hot water and ordered an extra latte. when the staff came to collect the plates no one asked if we had enjoyed our meals, they seemed more happy to be hiding behind the counter chatting. there were was no interaction with customers or a smile to brighten the place!?

i am from chesterfield, and heard several different accents in the cafe, but ime afraid there wasnt the great derbyshire friendliness to be seen, what a shame. even i felt a stranger in my own county.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank ScottishBlue
I'm very sorry to hear the staff didn't accommodate your request to have the tea after your main course. We try to be flexible on matters like that but obviously on this occasion the message didn't get through to that particular person. I assume the member of staff in question didn't have the confidence to go off the normal 'protocol' on a busy summer day. We will make sure it is not an issue again.
On occasion the lovely staff do stand and converse with one another but they work very hard and cover a lot of miles in such a busy, large place. It is cafeteria service rather than table service. Friendly chatty staff is what we have here and we get so many comments on what a nice bunch they are. We would much rather have that than individuals shuffling around resentfully.
Strange comment about accents! I don't see the relevance in that, but it's certainly ironic as it is a fact that 95% of our front of house staff have been brought up in Derbyshire. Mainly Bakewell and surrounding villages and even a few from Chessie!
Great Longstone, null, United Kingdom
“Not what I expected”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I live in the area and was having a walk on the monsal trail and decided to have some lunch as I have been to the cafe before and really enjoyed it , I ordered 2 chicken, bacon and mayo sandwiches and a bowl of fries and for what I got it was very expensive I payed £16.54 for a sandwich, a leaf of lettuce, tomato and cucumber also my sandwiches had way to much mayo on it, so much that I felt kind of sick after it, also £1.75 for a can of coke :S. Since then I have found out it has had new owners since I last went and enjoyed it.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Lydia-Jaye R
Chesterfield
“Will certainly visit again”
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Visited here in July 2013.

Excellent food and friendly service.

Can reccomend the Whisky & Ginger icecream.

• Visited July 2013