“good food & setting, slow service”

H's wine Bar & Restaurant Cafe
Ranked #56 of 82 Restaurants in Bakewell
Cuisines: British, Cafe, International, Wine Bar
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“good food & setting, slow service”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

me, my husband & our children visited H's yesterday afternoon. we waited a good few minutes to be seated but had a lovely table by the window.
I love the fact that they cater for children - children's menu, colouring and crayons, not a lot of places do these days.
we were made to feel very welcome and the coffee is lovely!
we had to wait a while to have our order taken and the drinks took a while to arrive, I am glad we ordered the food and drinks at the same time!
we ordered food and it arrived quickly, the soup was nice, wasn't keen on the bread and wasn't offered anything other than white bread.
the pizza my husband and children had was beautiful!
the chips were from frozen and greasy though. would have been nice to have proper chips?!
we wasn't asked if our meal was okay and we paid before our plates were cleared!

over all a good place to eat, the service needs tweeking, the food is great and a really lovely atmosphere & staff.

coming from a catering background I would say one thing, please train the staff to not pass food and drinks, especially hot ones, over babies/childrens heads, or place hot food and drinks in babies reach. I know its a parents/guardians place to make sure the baby/toddler is safe but if anything spills on the babies head, well, need I say more?

we would go back!

• Visited July 2013

Bakewell, United Kingdom
“Birthday Celebration”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I have just had my Birthday celebration at H's Wine Bar, Helen couldn't have been more helpful and accommodating. The evening was a great success, thanks to the fabulous buffet, hard working staff, DJ, wonderful ambience of the venue and helen's attention to detail.

Thank you Helen and staff for making my evening so special!!

Annette
Bakewell

• Visited July 2013
Derby, United Kingdom
“disgusting food”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

i went to this cafe on a rainy friday with my 2 children and mother in law. One of the staff members was at the till in the bakery part and didnt even look up when I asked if they were still open. She was quite sullen and didnt seem to want to tell us where to sit let alone show us! We ordered coffee and cakes and I have never had such awful food in my life. My shortbread tasted of engine oil and my sons coffee cake again tasted oily and had no flavour of coffee at all. The poor young waiter tried quite hard to be nice but it didnt make up for the cakes. I will never go there again. I had to take my cake out in my handbag and bin it later as I really couldnt eat it. Avoid this if you like nice food.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank goodcakeclub
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
“rip off!”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Been to this cafe bar a couple of times and it was reasonable but took my grandson last week and feel ripped off. He is only 22 months old so after he'd eaten his sausage roll I asked if he could have just 1 scoop of ice cream. When it arrived it was very small, barely enough for even the smallest child. When I went to pay for the food and drink we'd had they had't added the price of the ice ream on so proceeded to add on £2.95! I had wondered if they were giving it to him free of charge as it was so small! Could not believe the cost of the smallest scoop in history! I queried it but the assistant muttered something about having to charge VAT etc. If I had been told this before I would not have ordered it. This has put me off from visiting this establishment and will frequent the other quality cafes in Bakewell in future.

• Visited May 2013
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Enjoyed our meal”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

A bit concerned when we saw some of the reviews once we had purchased a voucher but went with an open mind. Have just had a really nice meal here, steaks done just right for us, the bread and butter pudding was delicious. The young waitress was lovely and was very pleasant. We were told we had the option of sitting either upstairs or downstairs and chose to eat upstairs as we preferred the setting to downstairs . Would definitely return.

• Visited May 2013