“Excellent place ”
Review of The Steak and Burger Merchant - CLOSED

The Steak and Burger Merchant
Description: We serve 100% grass fed beef burgers and steaks. All our meat and eggs are free range. We have visited each of our suppliers and seen their high animal welfare standards for ourselves. We also care about our staff and train them to the highest standard to ensure our customer care is outstanding.
Reviewed May 21, 2017 via mobile

Went here 20th may 2017 for my birthday
Now let me tell you I am very hard to please these day and would of normally been dining at hassop hall had they not had a wedding there .

So we decided to give this place a go !!
First impressions
Warm welcoming staff and beautiful decor laid out very well

The staff through out the meal were present and attentive

The cocktails were a thumbs up

We ordered the chateaubriand for 3 people

Now I am a chateaubriand critic and Up till now nothing has ever beaten the one at hassop hall

But I have to say these guys did it !!!!!it was very very close but beautiful beef cook to perfection

On the whole this place is fine dining but with making you feel uncomfortable the place has a great atmosphere

So thank you steak and burger merchant for an enjoyable evening we will definitely be back and recommending you

Reviewed May 21, 2017

Ate here at the weekend and love the refurbishment. I had a regular burger which comes in a bun with lettuce and tomato. The sweet potato fries and coleslaw were excellent and the burger was tasty, however it was overcooked and dry. Given that burger and steak are their speciality, they should excel at both. A really good fresh burger should be cooked to order like a steak.

Reviewed May 21, 2017 via mobile

This was a special occasion and we wanted to find somewhere to suit everyone. This fitted the bill.
We booked early and were thankful we did as it got very busy and service became slower. Nice atmosphere though.
Olives come in a very generous portion, cheesy bites delicious, calamari to die for and excellent garlic bread to start.
The tomahawk steak was fabulous and cooked to perfection, but my son in law asked the waitress if the chef could possibly cut it up as the knife provided wasn't really suitable, she looked puzzled and said I'll ask............sometime later after she hadn't returned he sliced it up the best way he could. The steak came with 2 sides, they chose spinach and fat chips, there are sufficient chips for one not 2!
I had rib eye, arrived over cooked and looked completely battered, it was OK nothing special I'm afraid, had better from Aldi tbh.
Hubby had a smoked burger, asked if I it could be doubled up......one burger normal size but second so much smaller! !
Most of the service was excellent, and a new waitress was lovely, very attentive and happy, however one girl was rude, didn't bring anything we asked for i.e steak to be cut, mustard, dessert menu (twice)and the bill and made so much noise stacking all the dishes on our table we had to stop talking. Not very pleased bearing in mind the price. When paying the bill we gave feedback on the waitress and apparently others had complained too, she's obviously in the wrong job.
They ran out of vanilla ice cream, no cream available instead so we opted out and went to the Co op and bought one to take home! Strawberry ice cream is not on my list for an accompaniment to passionfruit cheesecake! !
Would we return? Probably but would choose carefully.

Reviewed May 19, 2017

Very good food, my steak was cooked just right and my wife enjoyed her smoked beef burger.

The service was very good, we would recommend it to our friends and family.

However, I was not over keen on the suggestion that we had the opportunity to give a charity donation, which had been added to our bill!

Reviewed May 11, 2017 via mobile

Would absolutely recommend The Steak & Burger Merchant - have visited a couple of times and every time has been amazing. Evening menu offered a gorgeous (and huge!) tomahawk steak, cooked to perfection, and lunch menu gave me the most perfect brioche bun stuffed with steak, mushrooms and blue cheese sauce. Service was fabulous with attentive staff who weren't over bearing, the Maître D' was particularly charming and made us feel really special. Lovely cocktails and puddings worth bursting the buttons on your jeans for - absolutely worth a visit!