“Outstanding food, atmosphere and service”
Review of The Peacock

The Peacock
Ranked #9 of 86 Restaurants in Bakewell
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Peacocok is a 200 year old, and very typical English pub set in the Centre of Bakewell Town. We offer accommodation varying from lovely traditional type rooms in the old stables fully converted with en-suite bathrooms (showers only) inc full English breakfast if booked direct with the Peacock as opposed to third party web sites - Book direct with the Peacock to achieve a better deal. The Pub has a very varied menu that is all prepared and cooked on the premises by very skilled competant chefs with many fantastic specials.
Tideswell, United Kingdom
“Outstanding food, atmosphere and service”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Had lunch today with a friend at the Peacock. It had been recommended to us and we were not disappointed. For starters I had the terrine and my friend had garlic mushrooms - both divine. Both a meal in themselves - the bread which accompanied both dishes was lovely.
Our mains were Ribeye steak and I chose the pan fried Sea Bass with spinach and asparagus off the specials board, absolutely faultless, I can not recommend this place highly enough. Lovely atmosphere, background music and great staff. I would imagine that if it had not been terrible weather it would have been a lot busier. I can't wait to go back

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Linda E
thepeacockbakewell, it's all outstanding at The Peacock, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
An outstanding review from two lovely ladies who embraced what we have on offer at the Peacock, and for that I thank you from the bottom of my heart!

xx

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ware, United Kingdom
“Slow service and average food”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We visited on a cold, wet January Saturday night. It was fairly busy, but not packed out. I'd called ahead and booked a table, but on arrival we saw that it was a very small one right by the front door. Asking if we could move to another, we were told that wouldn't be a problem at all, just to choose wherever we wanted to sit and order at the bar. So a point won for that. Unfortunately, of the tables that were free there were none that were appealing. We had a choice of about 6 out the back in a separate room where the toilets were, that all smelt of, well, toilets. Then there were two that were in the path of said toilets, so we were under threat of bashing every time someone walked past.

Once we chose what seemed to be the least troublesome of the two I went to order. It took a long time to get served at the bar, and like I said, it wasn't rammed so that was a bit disappointing.

When the food did arrive, it came on a board. That's not conducive to creating an easy way of eating a pie. And the mini colander that the vegetables were served in, whilst making for novel presentation, was also not that easy to eat from. It was a tasty pie though, and the chips were good, but the onion rings were bland, oily and had skin left on in some of them.

Overall, a mediocre meal.

• Visited January 2014
4 Thank ultrasteve
thepeacockbakewell, spot the spelling mistake, at The Peacock, responded to this review, September 4, 2014
...just a miserable old bloke on a wet January, and he blames us for his misdemeanours - that's life I guess, but we are the cheerful one and you are the more on!
“Love it”
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

I would like to say a simple but big thank you for the amazing food and very helpful staff. When we go out for dinner we are more than happy to spend and not scrimp on quality. Although the game pie was not available much to my partners disappoint, we were offered many other delicious options. I trained as a fish longer in London and worked on the butchers at Chatsworth, I can safely say that our steaks and fish were superb. We love to bring friends and family to the Peacock as we know that attention to detail and a passion for food is a priority.

1 Thank Eton01
thepeacockbakewell, the eton rifles at The Peacock, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
....and we would like to say a simple big thank you also for choosing the Peacock to show off to your friends....

You know it makes sense - take heed mcf679 and ultrasteve - not forgetting AndyCez

Who are these people?

Youlgreave, United Kingdom
“Average and a little expensive”
Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

Me and my wife ate here a couple of weeks ago, it was about 7pm on a Friday evening. We had nachos, ok, garlic mushrooms, ok and steaks... Hmm we are local and expected better steaks, they were very fatty & bland... Chips were good.. We didnt say anything at the time and we left thinking we should have gone for a curry instead. Cant remember how much it all came to.. about £60 I think so not cheap for a pub dinner. Would go back to see if it was just an off night.

Visited January 2014
4 Thank AndyCez
thepeacockbakewell, a steak is a Good Steak at The Peacock, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
This is a post I have to blink as I read it, and why you may ask.....

Let's start by first clearing the decks - everybody is entitled to an opinion, and we have no divine right to fully expect everybody to say that we are the best on God's planet, but having as I say blinked once or twice after reading the post from Andy & Cez, I cannot accept that the steaks we served were fatty and bland - I'm sorry, but we don't do the afore mentioned and you may ask "who does he think he is, coming out with a statement like that"

Let's start at the beginning.....how does one review nachos - Nachos are Nachos, so I guess ok is fine, and the garlic mushrooms we serve are fresh, not the, what ever else there is out there, but if they are considered ok, we have to accept and accept we do......BUT

Steaks - Rib-Eye Steaks ARE fatty, it is part of the beef that is the fore of the ribs, the upper rib and most flavoursome part of the animal, and is in my opinion, the tastiest part of the beef, and this includes fillet, although delicious, again it only my opinion, but the fat in the rib-eye flavours the meat as it is cooked where with fillet it is all meat, hence why it is always the more expensive of steaks in restaurants or even from your local butcher. We, in our case source all our meat from the Local Farm Houses at Highfield House and New Close Farm.

I go into depth explaining this as I don't believe our steaks are bland, it is simply not the case, and although your word is as good as mine AndyCez, I in all honesty feel there is a little animosity shown for what ever reason.

In all your Trip Advisor posts you don't really have any thing nice to say about any of your experiences, (but for one exception, and that's not exactly the bees knees in a complimentary way) whether they are in the UK or abroad - you constantly moan about the prices in so far as this is expensive, that is not cheap, and as already clarified this is your privilege, but when I look at the places you criticise, and the majority have many five star reviews, AndyCez chooses to down grade them as if he gets some form of justification or satisfaction.

People work very hard in this trade, and I've no doubt you work tirelessly and hard in your work, so maybe you should take a step back, and try and understand the Big Picture - despite your comments, we are Good, and I honestly feel if average is your measurement of an experience according to the Bible of AlexCez, then in real terms it is really a Good or Very Good to us mere normal mortals - just a thought!

Surely you must have been somewhere that warrants a lovely five star review.....

Thankfully you do state you would come back, as in your words "would go back........" so we urge you to return so we can at least put the record right from our perspective.....trust me on this, introduce yourself and we will endeavour to change your mind and seek a five star review, as I feel we are more worthy of......

And may I add next time you have something to say, say it....we don't bite - well only on Trip Advisor replies!
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
“Dinner at the Peacock”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

We visited the Peacock on a Saturday night in January, and it was very busy, with most tables full. The pub menu is varied, and several things looked good, but I plumped for the steak and ale pie, and my partner for the hobbity. When both came, they were on wooden boards, with veg in a mini colander. Whilst it looked great, the eating wasn't as good, and it felt like a definite case of style over substance. The food was average pub fare in big portions, but the presentation made for awkward eating - a board and veg in a bowl with holes doesn't really allow you to empty your gravy jug over everything! We didn't stick around long after our meal as it was getting quite busy.

Visited January 2014
3 Thank mcf679
thepeacockbakewell, have we got imagination at The Peacock, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
.....Interesting post from mcf, as basically I feel we are being criticised for being busy......not forgetting inspirational, and this is in January, and let me state here and now - well above average!!!

I think you basically came to the Peacock, and didn't like the way we presented your food, in respect you are more than likely used to having your meals presented in the way of a school dinner - hence when we show a little imagination and integrity, it's not for you, so you justify this from your perspective by saying out loud - how did you put it 'style over substance', - 'food average pub fare in big portions'

....I understand your argument if you are of the 'used to the norm" type, but let me assure you we don't do average pub fare, and who in all honesty pours gravy over a colander with holes in it - you're really not supposed too, and as for awkward eating, the vegetables are presented in the colander as a nice touch. It's often referred to as imagination.....If it was a problem, if it was an issue, all you had to do was simply ask a member of the waitress staff to change the way your meals were served and we would have happily exchanged the presentation method!

There are plenty of establishments - the general run of the mill pubs - that would probably be more akin to how you prefer your food to be served, but we like to feel we have moved on from the 70's - you know the 'chicken in a basket brigade' and if it's not to your taste, that's unfortunate, but there is a saying 'You can't please all the people all of the time' - I guess you came into that bracket mcf....Shame really!!!!

Average.....it is not a description how I would describe our product, but we can't put words in your mouth - just react with dissapointment.