“Generous portions.....make sure you are peckish!”
Review of The Peacock

The Peacock
Ranked #9 of 89 Restaurants in Bakewell
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Peacocok is a 200 year old, and very typical English pub set in the Centre of Bakewell Town. We offer accommodation varying from lovely traditional type rooms in the old stables fully converted with en-suite bathrooms (showers only) inc full English breakfast if booked direct with the Peacock as opposed to third party web sites - Book direct with the Peacock to achieve a better deal. The Pub has a very varied menu that is all prepared and cooked on the premises by very skilled competant chefs with many fantastic specials.
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We visited The Peacock in Bakewell for a meal when we were passing by mid-September. The Peacock appears to be well looked after both inside and out, with lovely hanging baskets outside and a warm atmosphere inside. Staff were friendly and the menu was extensive. The meals were obviously cooked to order and the portions were generous. We all really enjoyed the food we ordered - fish & chips, scampi & chips, gammon steak and a traditional Ploughman's. We were too full to sample dessert! We would recommend it if you are looking for somewhere to eat in the area.

1  Thank SleeplessInDundee
thepeacockbakewell, Owner at The Peacock, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Thank You for the positive review SleeplessinDundee, as I feel if you give four stars then the review should be taken very serious as although you are maybe sleepless, you certainly treat your Trip Advisor reviews with a great deal of passion.

From my perspective I am always grateful when customers take the time to sit at their PC and cast their thoughts to give guidance to others readers of their experiences, and the recommendation you rightly give the Peacock in Bakewell is obviously honest, as you say it how it is and was for you and your friends......

Again, a big thanks, and take note George J from Norwich as The Man from Dundee speaks clear and direct as he lays Sleepless in Dundee but Wide Awake when in Bakewell.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,297)

Reviewed September 15, 2013

We took some Bristolan friends for lunch at the Peacock and whilst three of the meals were served on white bone china plates the management considered it acceptable to serve fish, chips and peas on the equivalent of a bread board.
My friends heart sank when presented with his lunch as the board was split on the edge and warped so had to be wedged to stop it rocking as he ate. Because peas are spherical he couldn't tip them out of the ramekin but had to eat them with a teaspoon...this stupid affectation needs to stop as it doesn't add to the !dining experience' but makes it memorable for the wrong reasons

2  Thank Marion M
thepeacockbakewell, Owner at The Peacock, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

In answer to your question Marion M from Sheffield - it's because we at the Peacock have vision, while you obviously wear bifocals....which I can't really help you with!

To come on Trip Advisor and review a wooden board, and complain that you had to eat your peas from a ramekin with a spoon suggests you need to be educated and get out more.

After all some people like eating their fish & chips in a plastic tray, some prefer a white plate, some even prefer them in a newspaper, but we at the Peacock try and put a little theatre into the proceedings and put them on a nice clean wooden board - it's called being different old girl, being adventurous and if your friend found it not to his liking we are sorry, but I can assure you we will not stop for the benefit of Mr. Kite - oops sorry, one moaning Bristolonian who also needs to get out more.

Pity you couldn't be more constructive and describe the meals you were served as opposed to the surface one was served on - but as the saying goes.....

It takes all sorts, and maybe coming from Sheffield the home of Bertie Basset's Liquorice All sorts I for one would have thought you'd understand.....Oh Well, not to worry!

Reviewed September 15, 2013

My husband, 2 year old daughter and I went here for lunch recently. We had a lovely time, for a Saturday it had a lovely buzz but not crowded in any way. Food was great, I had a lovely burger, my husband a pie and my daughter sausage, mash and peas which she loved! Great value for money and tasty, well presented food. Would definitely go again.

thepeacockbakewell, Owner at The Peacock, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

A Lovely review from Lovely people.....Thank You.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Chose the peacock by walking round Bakewell and reading the menu's outside pubs so sort of by chance. The menu has lots of choice and their are specials boards for starters, mains and puddings.
My husband had the chicken burger which came with salad and chips. The chicken was less burger and more breaded fillet and there was plenty of it, if my memory serves me correctly there were three peices served in a nice fresh bread bun, with a large bowl of large cut chips. I ordered the homity pie with chips and peas (carb overload! ) which consisted of an individual homity pie in a pastry case with a huge portion of the large cut chips and a very generous portion of garden peas. The pie was nice with nice crisp pastry and appeared to be home made. The chips were very nice. The only complaint we could come up with was that the portions were huge, too big even. No one wants to be offered a mean portion when eating out but these portions were too big for both myself and my husband and we are big eaters who had just been walking!

I noticed a gentleman sat behind us who ordered the ice cream, not sure if this was meant to be a shared pudding but it came with 6 - yes 6 scoops of ice cream!

Service was nice, cutlery was clean and a real napkin was provided rather than paper - all good.

You see all the celebrities from Norwich out there, when customers such as ClareH2010 complain they do it in a positive vane as Clare's complaint is not childish and immature, but actually articulate and positive in congratulating the Peacock for giving her a meal that was for Her and Husband a little on the big side - Hey, but we can live with that, as we would rather have you filled up from the walk you also obviously enjoyed.

Again a post that looks to the positives as opposed to one that illustrates a language barrier from Norwich, and I suspect most readers on Trip Advisor fully appreciate constructive views than that of the 'if you're gonna moan stay at home brigade"

Thanks Clare - much appreciated, apologies for feeding you too much!

Reviewed September 12, 2013

On Sunday 25 th August, we visited the Peacock for an evening meal. I ordered the drinks and food from the bar. Steak on a sizzle platter and jacket potato with CHEESE. After about 30 mins I asked at the bar if they had forgotten us, to which they said no. After about another 20 mins a steak on a sizzle platter was put in front of me. I waited for my wifes to turn up which it did, but it was lasagne, which the waitress said we had ordered but we worked out it was for the table next door. Good job I hadn't seasoned the steak. We were without food again, for about 15 mins ,then the food turned up, a steak on a sizzle platter and jacket potato with CHILLI. We told the waitress it was wrong it should be cheese, 5 mins later a potato with cheese turned up. Halfway through the meal the man from the bar came over and said " You did order the chilli" I said I did not, he said " You did because I took the order". I replied that my wife had never eaten chilli in her life.. Had we not paid for the meal on ordering it would have gone back over the counter and no money paid.. It will be interesting to hear the excuse for this, because obviously by the replies to the reviews this man is never wrong.

17  Thank George J
thepeacockbakewell, Owner at The Peacock, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

So George J from Norwich - yes they do have a funny accent in Norwich, comes onto Trip Advisor and gives the Peacock a one star 'I'm a celebrity get me out of here George" for a simple mistake, from which side of the fence I'm not too sure, but with twangy farmers 'oh eye' accents cheese did sound - to me like chili. Yes it did George old boy, and for that simple misunderstanding you damn the Peacock.

For a simple misunderstanding - which was rectified incidentally, BOTH meals came out 40 minutes after you had ordered them - ok the waitress brought the Lasagne to your table which was intended for the table next to you, but with a 90 degree turn rectified it....is that such a big deal, is that the end of the world, some how I don't think it is.

Your funny accent got you chili instead of cheese, but that is the issue here, not the waitress and that very simple misunderstanding was put right within 5 minutes and you were both served your meals together, and when I asked you at the end, both of you from my perspective, seemed to have thoroughly enjoyed your meals, you both confirmed that 'yes you had' when I enquired at the same time apologising for the delay etc. - but then come on Trip Advisor and slate us....we don't have to look for an excuse George, because we do make the odd mistake, the odd slip, (you maybe are the exception in the modern world, and don't) but it doesn't effect the quality of the product you put in your belly, and for that reason George - Yes I am always right!

Bit of a sad post from where I'm sitting.....is that a right assumption or a wrong assumption -who knows?