“The Peacock - A Gem in Bakewell”
Review of The Peacock

The Peacock
Ranked #9 of 86 Restaurants in Bakewell
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Peacocok is a 200 year old, and very typical English pub set in the Centre of Bakewell Town. We offer accommodation varying from lovely traditional type rooms in the old stables fully converted with en-suite bathrooms (showers only) inc full English breakfast if booked direct with the Peacock as opposed to third party web sites - Book direct with the Peacock to achieve a better deal. The Pub has a very varied menu that is all prepared and cooked on the premises by very skilled competant chefs with many fantastic specials.
Home Counties
“The Peacock - A Gem in Bakewell”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Four of us dined at the Peacock last night (Aug 12) and were not disappointed. The portions are legendary but that does not take away from the quality which was excellent. The meat in particular; both steaks (fillet and sirloin) and the lamb chops were probably some of the best we have had in the UK in years, very tasty, succulent and tender. The hot stone for cooking the meat was a genius idea - when you eat there you must ask for that! This is not to take anything away from the vegetables, salad and enormous and tasty chips! The reason I didn't give the meal an excellent rating is due to the lack of wine options, I know it's a pub (and the beer was fantastic) but with such great food I felt a bit let down by not having the choice of a more expensive Chilean Merlot for example. The French Merlot we had was OK but lacked the depth to support the excellent meats on offer. All in all though a very good meal.

• Visited August 2013
thepeacockbakewell, Owner at The Peacock, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
A Gem of a review Sir - pity we didn't get the five stars we deserve, but if the review below from MikeAmann was petty, then this review, although lovely, is what I would determine petty.

We have got it right at the Peacock through hard work, investment, honesty, and commitment, but if a wrong choice of wine let's us down, I won't be too worried.

We create at the Peacock, not destroy and of the two choices we all know which is the easier of the two!

The Peacock is Five Star bannism4 - but you choose four star because the Merlot lacked depth, one thing this Pub doesn't lack is depth and that is hard to create, unlike posting comments on this web site that takes no depth what so ever!

There used to be an old ad on TV that had a slogan which still stands firm today:

"think before you drink before you drive"

May I add to that......

"it is harder to score a goal, than defend"

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Newcastle upon Tyne
“Petty”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Enjoyed the Peacock immensely last night. And as promised returned today, I had already informed the office that we should book the place to stay for next year. Tills singing and enjoyed a happy hour until I came to pay the tab when the landlady informed me that there would be a 20p surcharge on my DEBIT card. I questioned this and was told “that's what we get charged" I was going to leave a tip but thought why not say in advance. Will check receipts and if I was charged last night without being told will be mightily hacked off. By the way beer 4.60 a pint, when I said it is 4.05 at my local she had the nerve to say ”that's Newcastle " . Make your own choices

2 Thank MikeAmann
thepeacockbakewell, Owner at The Peacock, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
When A man sits at the end of your bar, and incidentally a very small bar for two consecutive days, and this during Bakewell Show week when on the show days upwards of 40,000 visitors a day come into Bakewell for the annual extravaganza, and gulps down Peroni with not a care in the world that he is in the way of baying customers actually trying to get to the bar, having a 'tab' and on paying his bar bill we add 20p for allowing him to use a Debit Card he comes straight onto Trip Advisor and moans we are Petty.

This man who is aka MikeAmann actually in his post confesses he enjoyed the Peacock immensely, and was even informing his works to book rooms for next years carnival as he was acknowledging the Peacock was the place to be in town.

Is is petty MikeAmann that our bank charges are extortionate, and for a small business we feel this is an honest way of recouping those charges, or would you rather have us put a 5-10% service charge on your tab as the staff made sure you were sat all comfortable as other customers were leaning over and around you to be seen to be served - or is that rather petty......

What isn't petty is that you will not becoming back to the Peacock, - .....probably the best Pub in town, come Carnival Time in 2014 and maybe at £4.60 a pint - of Peroni....that's Bakewell, we will be doing you a favour when in your town you can purchase the said for £4.05.....

I guess that can be construded as "make your own choices" - and I've certainly made mine....
“A nice return”
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

Having not been to the Peacock for quite some time we went today whilst in Bakewell.I have to say that the meals are not for the faint hearted.I thought the ploughmans sounded a bit expensive but oh boy was it worth it. Well recommended.

Visited August 2013
Nice to see you back Barrie L - some things have, as you probably noticed changed.

Nothing is expensive at the Peacock, because boy oh boy it's always worth it.

Thanks for the nice review - well received!
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We ate at The Peacock twice on our recent trip to the Peak District, on our first day and on our last day as we could not think of anywhere we would rather have our last meal on our holiday.
The food on both occasions was fantastic and we would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone visiting Bakewell. Having read some of the reviews (and the responses!!) all I would say is to try the food yourself and can guarantee you will keep going back. My only regret is that we live over 3 hours away so popping in for a quick meal is not possible.

• Visited July 2013
thepeacockbakewell, It is known to be fantastic, at The Peacock, responded to this review, April 18, 2016
I have to say this is a fantastic review from say123.

It rightly says that we should take no notice of the small minority of whingers - my responses make your own mind up, but all I am trying to do in a light hearted manner, is the way that some people take too seriously the little moments, so that they have to post a review on here that supports their childish moan or whinge in a more speculative form to highlight the fact they may have been waiting more than they have been accustomed to, or the meal didn't turn up after forty minutes it may have been fifty etc etc,

I do understand this issue, and we do try to address it in a professional manner, but I always come up with the excuse and I feel fair reasoning is that we are:

ACTUALLY AT TIMES VERY BUSY!!!

And being fantastic is the price we pay.......

Say, by the way, thanks for the fantastic review!

Fort Augustus, United Kingdom
“Fab all round”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Walking round Bakewell we came across The Peacock on a beautiful summers afternoon. We stopped for a drink in the packed beer garden and viewed the extensive mouth watering menu. Having viewed other menus in the town our first thoughts were that it was a little expensive so on this occasion moved on. However on our second visit we sat inside and saw more of the appetising meals being served so decided to eat here. We were not disappointed and enjoyed every mouthful. Service was quick, presentation was excellent and portions were large. The food was excellent and well worth the money - fantastic chips!

The exterior of the building is a gorgeous looking stone building and the comfortable interior is of a high contemporary standard. While we were there a couple came in looking for a room for the night. The Peacock was full but the owner sat at the bar rang another place and found them accommodation, passing his phone to the couple to allow them to discuss requirements and then gave them directions. A truly above average service.

Just one very minor 'tongue in cheek' gripe - I was enjoying the oldies music coming from the jukebox - having a great singalong with the old tunes. So it was a shame when a man in charge of the remote control (in a suit) kept fading the tunes out before they had finished to start another....saying this with a smile on my face really, but am just curious why he did that when others were enjoying the music?

We will return.....maybe to stay next time.

• Visited August 2013
thepeacockbakewell, Owner at The Peacock, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
All sounds FAB to us T0mL1n, and we'd have to say your post is spot on.

The minor tongue in cheek we take on the chin with no animosity, as it's the Local Hero in Bakewell - Mr. Sugar 'destry rides again' Sheldon who adores, just as do many a visitor to the Peacock, the 1943 Wurlizter Manhatten Juke Box we have, playing out all the classics
from the 50's, 60's, right up to the modern day....

Our Local Hero though, thinks all the classics are only sung by Roy Orbison, so we sometimes have to give him a little nudge when he has control of the remote, to bear in mind that 'only the lonely' and 'drive all night' are not the only tunes on the Juke Box...

Glad you enjoyed every mouthful though, as well as the tunes - See you the next time.