“Another "OK"”

The Peacock
Ranked #9 of 86 Restaurants in Bakewell
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Peacocok is a 200 year old, and very typical English pub set in the Centre of Bakewell Town. We offer accommodation varying from lovely traditional type rooms in the old stables fully converted with en-suite bathrooms (showers only) inc full English breakfast if booked direct with the Peacock as opposed to third party web sites - Book direct with the Peacock to achieve a better deal. The Pub has a very varied menu that is all prepared and cooked on the premises by very skilled competant chefs with many fantastic specials.
New Zealand
“Another "OK"”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Gosh, here's a pub with mixed TA reviews and a landlord who seems unable to accept any criticism whatsoever!
We enjoyed our lunchtime meal / drinks, at the "The Peacock" this week. The positives were the beer was an excellent pint, although expensive. Yes I know that's already been debated.
The food was good pub grub, thanks to some very good kitchen staff no doubt.
Panini's, Sandwiches,Fish & Chips, Pies, plus larger meals if required.
Pub food is being done well at many establishments nowadays though, so this isn't us raving about it.
The toilets (mentioned in previous reviews) were spotless. The young staff members were very obliging.
I probably wouldn't rave about the place quite as loudly as the landlord seems to, be that's his job I suppose.
It's also his job to be more WELCOMING and not sit at the bar tapping on a laptop and ignoring the punters!
There are plenty of pubs in Derbyshire offering exceptional beer, food and hospitality, I'm just not sure this is one of them.

2 Thank Jacko05
thepeacockbakewell, Owner at The Peacock, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
So, Jacko05 puts a post on the infamous Trip Advisor, almost I feel expecting a response from yours truly.

Well here goes 'Jacko05 - but first let me point out to all you 'experts' out there that my responses are not to be taken serious, as I certainly don't, and don't give the posted reviews out there too much respect or serious thought either.

They are opinions of the moment - and that is fine, no problem there, they are the thoughts and transcripts of individuals who probably don't really have much to do, have embraced the PC World and have time on their hands to go through the motions of posting reviews on such web sites as this, instead of applying their energies into more meaningful tasks, that let's be honest here, this site has no mitigating circumstances, it is an individual opinion that can be untruthful or let's say very biased without understanding the issues.

Jacko05 comments that I am unable to accept any criticism whatsoever - on the contrary, I basically like to take the proverbial hiss out of all you sad individuals who spent time giving thoughts and opinions that has no mitigation, and that can be very biased in the favour of the reviewer.

Having said that, Jacko05 does compliment the Peacock on:
And these are his admissions....

The fact he enjoyed his lunchtime meal/drinks.
Beer was an excellent pint.
The food was good pub grub.
The kitchen staff were very good no doubt.
Plenty of choice was on offer if required.
Toilets were spotless.

Ah - but the landlord was at the time of Jacko05's visit, sat at the bar tapping away on a laptop ignoring the punters.

Do you not think that if I have been up at the crack of dawn, from probably not finishing general duties the night before which can be as late as after midnight, I am entitled to sit at my bar doing a little tapping. When do you tap Jacko05, and I hasten to add my tapping may have been work that was Pub/Peacock related.

This Pub is like a runaway train at times, the work load from yours truly, to all members of staff is at times relentless.
We have accommodation, we serve beer, we serve food, we have general duties that unfortunately ignorance from the general public is not shown on the agenda. Have you ever considered I may have been updating the many many bookings we take on the web site we endorse and there is no rule that states I have to be locked a way out of sight as the staff do their job.
Have you ever considered I may have been carrying out the mountains of paper work this Pub incurs.....
I am there as a back up if required,....

I could go on and on...

There are, as you rightly state plenty of pubs in Derbyshire offering exceptional beer, food and hospitality - we feel we are one of them - alas there are also plenty of pubs in Derbyshire that are not!

We do our job at the Peacock, and you as a paying customer benifit and have the freedom and may I add, the right to post your opinion.

I will always respect that if it is the truth - unfortunately, - not in this case, - there are a few white lies out there, but we ticked many of the right boxes for you Jacko, and if we are considered 'another ok' that's also ok with us....!

Don't take TA too serious - we don't - but we do take our job serious, and the Peacock is our job and that is taken more serious than anything - especially Trip Advisor??? - but a part of that seriousness is to respond to such reviews, and why - because WE CARE!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“Great place”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

The Peacock takes some beating for service, food quality and beers. Visited many times and never been disappointed.

Manchester
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Divine food and great service!!!”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Portion sizes are great value for money, our family of 10 couldn't finish their own plates of food! Superb choice of meals and food all palates and tastes! We can't express how much our large family loved this restaurant, it's fresh, home cooked great quality food was DELICIOUS!
If we are ever in Bakewell again, we certainly won't hesitate to call in for a meal again!!!
The bar staff and waitresses were very friendly, polite and cheery, they even let us sample their selection of real ales for free!
We would ALL recommend a visit to the Peacock when visiting Bakewell!

1 Thank Diane O
United Kingdom
“Excellent pub food!”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We went here on a busy bank holiday weekend and although we were told our food would be a while as it was busy, the food really didn't take too long at all. We sat in the conservatory which was lovely. I had the steak and stilton hot sandwich which was amazing and a large portion. My partner had a club sandwich which was also a generous size. We had a side order of chips too. Has to be the best pub lunch I have had. We will definitely be back next time we are in Bakewell!

1 Thank Vicki P
thepeacockbakewell, Hard work has made it easy. That is my secret. That is why I win, at The Peacock, responded to this review, September 29, 2016
Thanks Vicki P - we never forget!!!
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and service”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stumbled on this pub whilst going back to our hotel after an all day visit to Chatsworth. On the outside the pub looks like any other pub, nothing special. However, the food was excellent and the staff very friendly. I would recommend

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Jean039
Are you sure Jean039, but thanks all the same as we never forget!