“Great food. A must.”

The Peacock
Ranked #10 of 82 Restaurants in Bakewell
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Peacocok is a 200 year old, and very typical English pub set in the Centre of Bakewell Town. We offer accommodation varying from lovely traditional type rooms in the old stables fully converted with en-suite bathrooms (showers only) inc full English breakfast if booked direct with the Peacock as opposed to third party web sites - Book direct with the Peacock to achieve a better deal. The Pub has a very varied menu that is all prepared and cooked on the premises by very skilled competant chefs with many fantastic specials.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food. A must.”
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

We went on a Thursday evening after walking around Bakewell looking at other places to eat. I'm so glad we chose this one. The food was lovely and presentation was spot on. Very tasty and good value for money. Other dishes were coming out to other customers and I wanted to try theirs. I can't fault the service from the staff although it did look like the manager and a lady I assumed was his wife were obviously having a difference of opinion behind the bar! Worth trying.

• Visited April 2013
thepeacockbakewell, Owner at The Peacock, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Keepscalmandtravel - yes that's a good philosophy, and we at the Peacock will endeavour to fulfil your quote and feel you chose the right eatery in your wander around Bakewell.

Glad you enjoyed your meal, as Me & the Mrs have an obligation to entertain you as you dine in our lovely Pub - Seriously though, thank you for the nice comments, and if Vicky and yours truly were having a little difference of opinion - believe me it's what keeps the Peacock up and running with the best of 'em, as she says her thing and I get my way - See you next time you are in Bakewell as you Keep Calm on your Travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Higham, United Kingdom
“Fawlty Towers-esque staff!!”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

The rudest staff I have ever encountered.
My wife and i went in for a drink and were told all the tables were reserved for diners; which is fine. We were told we could enjoy our drink at the bar. Great.

I ordered our drinks while my wife sat at the bar; another member of staff told my wife she couldn't sit at the bar! When I questioned this I was curtly told that we could sit at the bar but only for a few minutes. This is a bar! In a pub! And we were told we couldn't sit there!

The lady seemed out of her depth and stressed (it was only 12:15 Sunday lunch; I dread to think how she was after another 2 hours. I hope she was the proprietor as if she isn't I fear for her job!

I asked for my money back and left.

7 Thank Adie L
thepeacockbakewell, Owner at The Peacock, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
There are two sides to every story - and so from the Peacock's prospective I will endeavour to set the record straight and tell the TRUTH.

Let me stress we were not rude - we simply informed the customer Adie L that as it was Sunday Lunch time at the Peacock, the bar would in the next 10-15 of his attendance, would be extremely busy from customers ordering drinks & placing food orders so would they the customer, not congregate, and in effect close down a large area of the bar serving area.

The Peacock bar is quite small and at times very congested, as we are very, very busy during certain periods and times of the day - especially Week Ends and Monday Market Day.

Adie L was not informed he could hold fort at the bar - He was politely informed that as it was to soon be very busy and addressed as Sir, would he mind moving away and in retaliation he started in an aggressive mode - this is a Pub and I want a drink and I can sit where I want, I've bought two drinks and you've taken my money.

Our response was to offer the gentleman a refund on a pint of Cider and a pint of Bitter. which he took and stormed out - and may I add as informed by my staff Adie L had, in the space of less than 5 minutes in attendance, had three outbursts with his companion, who we presume was his wife.

Also may I add it was explained that a 75 year old very disabled customer who has been coming to the Peacock, to my knowledge, for the past forty years would be arriving in the next few minutes, and as as he carn't stand for more than 5 minutes at a time, we do reserve the particular seat for him - that's Mick to all you regulars that frequent the Peacock.

Julie - the lady in question, is a most polite member of staff at the Peacock, and I will testify would never be rude to any one in her duties, and any regular to the Peacock, will also testify to her manner in dealing with 'awkward' customers.

With ref: to 'This is a bar- In a Pub, let me stress the Peacock is more characteristic to a Dining establishment, to that of a drinking hole and that is how I will maintain it's personality, as I and many others agree, that it makes it a nicer environment to that of having customers sat around a bar cursing and swearing every other word.

Let me stress at the Peacock - We don't allow Dogs, and we also will not tolerate rudeness from any one - irrespective of their intentions, and I will also add to that, - None of those pathetic Electronic Cigarettes.
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We had a Sunday Roast here, and although the lamb was delicious, two of us (out of four people) found hair in the food. To be honest, we have had better meals elsewhere, and was slightly disappointed with overall food given the excellent reviews on TripAdvisor.

1 Thank Gavi_sr
thepeacockbakewell, Owner at The Peacock, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for your review Gav_sr, and we hear you loud and clear, but why, why, why, didn't any one from your party point this issue out with a member of the waitress staff, or even any member of staff at the time, and we would have happily dealt with your complaint and served you another meal.

Quite frankly I find your accusation about a foreign body in your lunch very unlikely, but I have to accept your criticism on face value, as I watch the chefs in the kitchen everyday prepare and serve all the meals, and they are so conscious of hygiene whilst they work, they as a matter of course wear their chefs hats and wear the protective gloves you may see your dentist wear.

Please understand we are not unique, and if such an incident is apparent, we need to be informed immediately, so this is the disappointing factor, that it wasn't mentioned in the moment - this gives me suspicion that the mitigating circumstances are suspicious!

Oh - and please in form me where you have eaten better meals, as I would like to know where these secret places are too!
Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“sunday evening meal”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We both ordered rib eye steaks with chips. The steak was cooked as we requested and the chips were delicious. The onion rings were very good as was the salad. The only down side of the meal was that it was served on wooden platters and both platters had a large split in them making us question whether it was hygienic.

1 Thank LinC237
Thank You for your comments LinC237, and the point you make about the boards is understood, but we can assure you all the serving boards are meticulously cleaned and other than bringing out the Wire Brush and Dettol, they are cleaned to a very high spec!

The steaks you enjoyed are always a popular choice on the menu, and are supplied from the Local Highfield House Farm at Darley Dale.
Essex
“Very impressed”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We enjoyed lunch here one Monday and was very impressed with food. I ordered a fish finger sandwich and it was HUGE and the best I've ever had. My husband ordered the pie and it was incredibly tasty. Definitely recommend this place.

• Visited February 2013