“Service versus food!”

The Peacock
Ranked #11 of 87 Restaurants in Bakewell
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Peacocok is a 200 year old, and very typical English pub set in the Centre of Bakewell Town. We offer accommodation varying from lovely traditional type rooms in the old stables fully converted with en-suite bathrooms (showers only) inc full English breakfast if booked direct with the Peacock as opposed to third party web sites - Book direct with the Peacock to achieve a better deal. The Pub has a very varied menu that is all prepared and cooked on the premises by very skilled competant chefs with many fantastic specials.
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Service versus food!”
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

The food here is superb bar type food. The ploughmans is a huge smorgasbord of cheeses, meats and pickles and the fish and chips are just stunning! However, every time I've eaten here the bar service is really, really slow (it was Easter Saturday and expectedly busy). The poor girl behind the bar was trying her best and so was the landlady, but as for the landlord...the words 'chocolate and teapot' spring to mind. Come on Peacock. Sort it out.

1 Thank LloydMason-Edwards
thepeacockbakewell, Owner at The Peacock, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for the review LloydMason-Edwards, but and this is official, please don't cross the threshold of our little establishment again.

To be so pompous and go on line to state how superb the food served is, but to criticise the staff for being slow on a manic - yes manic Easter Saturday of which all Easter was at the Peacock- doesn't this tell you something about our little establishment.

The staff here work tremendously hard and are all hand picked by the teapot - or is it chocolate, that's from the pot washer to the highly qualified competent chefs, that even on crazy, crazy days, and we can boast many at the Peacock, ensure the standard of work they carry out is never diminished.

Sort it out you say - Let me inform you LloydMason-Edwards, everything is sorted out at the Peacock to a very high standard and this you have rightly commented on, - but if we had 10 more bar staff, 10 more chefs 10 more teapots, the product would not be served any faster.

Why? - because Quality takes time - Our Pub due to it's size has character, it has personality, it has behind the scenes investment (down to the Teapot) that ensures there is no drop in standards, even on those best and busy times - and as a result my staff (and the Teapot) do not like being patronised on web sites from small minded people who think we are really really slow on busy busy days.

There are other establishments where you can choose that are quick quick quick and that's because they are empty!

Quality is never fast, but we preach it is worth the wait and that is sorted Sir, so if you enter the Peacock you will be entering under false pretension, as we don't know who you are and we don't want you here.

UNDERSTOOD- How fast was that for you?

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hertford, United Kingdom
“I Wish My Local Was This Good”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We were in Bakewell around Christmas. The first time I went in The Peacock, it was a cold, wet lunch time. The Peacock looked warm and inviting, so I bought a paper and went in for a drink.
They have a great selection of ales. Living near Hertford, I like my ales without a head (or "flat" as the barman said), so I asked for my pints pulled without the sparkler. Happily, I wasn't asked to leave.
This pub is warm, welcoming, cosy ... I'm trying to think of suitable "good" words. The atmosphere is lively and chatty, in a relaxed and comfortable way.
I liked the place so much that I came back the following day, with all the family, and had lunch. If, like me, your idea of good pub food is to be traditional, but do it very well, then this place scores top marks. My burger, obviously freshly made, with melting cheese, fresh salad, superb chips, a delicious bun, etc, was a delight. Throw in a couple more pints of that (flat, lol) real ale, and you have my idea of an ideal pub.
Happily, we are back in Bakewell for Easter, and we will definitely be dropping in at The Peacock.
On both days, we went at lunch time, so we haven't yet tried this pub in the evening. Watch this space! But if you want somewhere to go for a good pub lunch, I would definitely suggest trying The Peacock. We really, really liked it. I wish my local was this good.

• Visited December 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Oh my Dayum”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Go on youtube.com. Search the word "Dayum". Play the first video. That is how Peacocks 12oz Devonshire ribeye made me feel.

Try to imagine it. A huge steak cook so beautifully the weight of the knife is enough to cut through it. A giant mushroom with melted cheese oozing over it and big lumps of deep fried potatoes which they called "chips" but I called "delicious".

Eat here. You won't regret it.

• Visited March 2013
thepeacockbakewell, Owner at The Peacock, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
You have to follow the advice of saxmam 123 and watch the video and hopefully when you call into the Peacock - you will feel the same way, especially if you try one of our delicious steaks or Dayum, - sorry Peacock Burgers .

A Delicious post, thank you! - Get on You Tube Now!
Bakewell, United Kingdom
“A pub with character.”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Good food, good beer, cosy inside or on the one sunny Monday a year you can sit outside and watch the antics in the adjacent market. Our Louise used to take her new boyfriends here to check em out!

Visited September 2012
thepeacockbakewell, Owner at The Peacock, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
As Franklin D Roosevelt once had a campaign theme 'Happy Days are Here Again', and Franklin T H of Bakewell, has a similar theme with a similar message 'A Pub with Character' and Mr. F. T. H. we thank you for honest interpretation of our humble establishment in Bakewell.

Good Beer, Good Food with a Cosy Interior - certainly the right ingredients as far as we're concerned for.........

The Peacock - HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN.
England
“Some of the best food I've had at a pub.”
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Booked a table for six people last sunday with no fuss. Loved this place, a lovely relaxed atmosphere and very friendly attentive service. The food came in good time, was delicious and not overly expensive. Great fresh food and really good value. Well done for making us feel welcome - we will see you again. I've seen someone call it the best pub in England, to be honest they don't often come much better. Everything was baked-well!! (Get it?)...

Thank You to Pete and Jonny - yes, we do get it, and we like to think all of the customers who wine & dine at the Peacock get it and feel the same way as you do, when they come to the Peacock and are wined & dined in a Pub that does have a relaxed atmosphere.

Your food, which is sourced from local farms and supplies, will always be prepared and cooked by competent chefs, who are supported by friendly staff who feel like you do, everything served is probably the best food you will have in a Pub, and BAKED-WELL in BAKEWELL.