“Excellent Evening Meal”
Review of Ashford Arms

Ashford Arms
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bakewell
Ashford Arms
Ranked #28 of 44 Bakewell B&B and Inns
Stalybridge, United Kingdom
“Excellent Evening Meal”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I have just returned home after spending the day visiting friends who are holidaying in Derbyshire. Following a day’s walking in the Derbyshire Dales we visited The Ashford Arms for an evening meal. Although the bar and restaurant was exceptionally busy, we were served quickly. The food was excellent and prices were reasonable, as was there good selection of wines and beers. Staff were welcoming and extremely attentive and the atmosphere warm and friendly. We will certainly visit again and recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
thatcham
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Stopping off after a day of cycling, we dropped in after reading good reviews on various sites. Thought my luck was in when I see it was steak night...but no...

The food was completely devoid of any taste or seasoning. It was like salt and pepper never existed ....

I had the Ribeye steak with Diane Sauce. The steak had no taste, and the sauce the consistency and flavour of dishwater. My son had the so called BBQ Chicken, which was little more than a chicken breast with tomato ketchup on top.

If I hadn't been so hungry I should have sent both meals back, but after a long day of cycling we just needed food so finished the meal and then ordered dessert to see if things improved.

My son was happy enough with the chocolate cake,but I had less luck with the sticky toffee pudding, which turned out to taste like a Jamaican ginger cake...bizarre. This time I did send the dish back (still wound up from the rubbish main course) and instead had the apple pie. That turned out to be a soggy mess of uncooked pastry, but feeling sorry for the young waitress having to deal with my complaints I scooped off the minimal apple and ate the ice cream.

As you can guess, not impressed at all!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank timmmeee
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2013

A lovely, quiet location within short driving distance of Bakewell. Our room was clean and spacious, although facilities were rather basic and dated. Breakfast was made to order and was of a very good quality - smoked salmon and scrambled eggs recommended. A strength of Ashford Arms is its restaurant. Food quality and portions were strong and, based on past visits, the restaurant is always busy. However, if you're on a diet, you might get a shock when your vegetables arrive - deep fried broccoli and cauliflower swimming in in cheese certainly wasn't to my tastes.

Overall, service was good and we experienced a pleasant stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Prestatyn, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Myself and my wife were staying in Ashford so we had the pleasure to eat here twice during our stay.I have to say that both times we were more than happy with the quality of the food,the size of the portions,the price also as they were extremely busy both times the service was quite quick.I would advice reserving a table or getting there at opening to ensure you get a table as some late comers had to be asked to come back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Gosport, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Spent two nights here on a visit to Chatsworth on arrival we were quickly shown to our room and asked if were eating in the restaurant that evening as the table had been booked for us. We were glad we took up the offer as the food was outstanding and fantastic value for money.You know it has to be good when the restaurant is busy on a Monday and Tuesday night. After dinner we had a drink in the comfortable bar. The breakfast choice was excellent with everything from cereals and grapefruit to scrambled egg with smoked salmon and a full English. The village of Ashford in the Water is quaint with its" Arkwright's" type shop on the corner.

The rooms were clean and comfortable but a little dated,

Room Tip: Try to avoid room 6 if you are 6 foot tall the shower is in the pitch of the roof but that's rea...