The Peacock Bakewell
Ranked #16 of 44 Bakewell B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Great location in beautiful Bakewell, fabulous food, clean and comfortable room and a great price. My friend and I had a wonderful time drinking, eating and walking. It was the first of, I am sure, many trips to stay at this perfect pub/hotel. I simply cannot say enough good things about it. Can't wait to get back.......

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank 111Milly
thepeacockbakewell, Some Guy who loves Lovely Guests at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Perfect.......

Do I need to add anyhing - No, other than a Big Thank you to Milly And Haley who were perfect Guests!

THANK YOU.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Booked, travelled 45 mins and was not disappointed. The food was beautifully presented, tasty and generous.
would highly recommend the chocolate fondant. It was a taste of heaven. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: March 2014
thepeacockbakewell, one night in heaven at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

You know it makes sense sillybro - we don't dissapoint, and just like the Food we serve all our Sweets are homemade and truly scrumptious, so thank you for the excellant post and the 45 minute drive was undoubtably worthwhile.....

See you real soon for another night in heaven!

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Popped in for some food and wasn't expecting what I found! Food was excellent and the price was great. Definetly recommend this place for some good home cooked grub, great location and good staff. Be better if I could gave sat in the beer garden but I suppose they can't control the rain

• Stayed: March 2014
thepeacockbakewell, The Rain Maker at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Hey Dan - sorry about the rain, but I guess everything else came up to expectations - even if it was a surprise, although I can't understand why, as we pride ourselves in being a Traditional Pub in Bakewell that does it's job, and I wouldn't have expected anything less that what you describe.

Thanks all the same for the nice post.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Just returned from a two night stay at The Peacock. What a find.
We chose The Peacock as it was half way between me and my best friends and we thought it would be an ideal base for a walking weekend. The peacock is beautifully positioned in the Centre of Bakewell which is picture post card beautiful. The pub looks appealing and full of charm and it didn't disappoint. Our room was warm, comfortable and had everything we needed. We booked the twin bedded room. Our beds were comfortable and we both slept extremely well.
We ate both nights in the Pub and our meals were superb, as were our breakfasts. The food arrived quickly and was fresh, tasty and beautifully prepared.
All the staff were great and more than happy to help. My friend and I particularly enjoyed a pint of two of Draught Peroni after our 10 mile walk. Really hit the spot!
The atmosphere in the pub on an evening was charming and everyone enjoyed spinning a few tunes on the Juke box which added a nice touch. A real mixture of people came in and out throughout the evenings. Very relaxing place to spend some time.
Really enjoyed our stay and will definitely be back. Well done!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
thepeacockbakewell, Tip Top Toe at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2014

Warm, Comfortable and Clean - thank you Haley, as I know you and your old school friend both enjoyed your two night stay with us at our little abode......

We are what we are - a little pub in the centre of Bakewell that is traditional in every way, and I feel you both embraced this as you caught up on past times whilst being fed and watered in style to ease the aches and pains, after a couple of days hard walking in the beautiful countryside of the Peaks.

See you again, possibly in the summer when the walks are even more enjoyable in the summer sunshine - and we will still feed you well.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

It was our first time in the Bakewell area and paid £129 for a double room for a Saturday night. I've read the owner replies to reviews, so I am expecting to get shot down for suggesting that the accommodation could be improved. It's just the little things that let it down - shower door not closing, cracked sink, ill-fitting bed sheets, cheap toilet roll. Yes, the room was clean, but I just expected a bit more for the amount paid that was all. I understand that a premium is often required to be paid for one-night only accommodation but I hope the owner takes the criticism as it is intended - if you don't receive feedback, you can't improve!

On the flip side, the food was excellent - our cooked breakfast beat many hotels we have stayed in. The evening/pub food was also superb and I could not recommend it more.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank C b
thepeacockbakewell, The Listener at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Thank you for the post C b and I hear you loud and clear, but still I'm a little disappointed with your review.....

I have been and checked all the rooms only this morning, and I couldn't find one shower door that doesn't or didn't close.

The bed sheets are, in my opinion not ill-fitting whatever that insinuates, and as for cheap toilet paper - if that's a gripe so be it, but in all honesty we usually have the soft Kleenex type, but this week end we did actually run out, so I can only apologise for that little issue.

The cracked sink Ok, that is also an issue you can have a go at, and I do apologise, but is it only a hairline crack - but my humble excuse is that we are planning to refurbish the bathrooms this year, and until then unfortunately we have to live with the very small problem - problem it's not really a problem, but it does leave room for a moan if you so wish!

Clean rooms are a must, and that to my way of thinking is more important than what you brought up, but we do listen - pity these issues were never mentioned at the time, and as for paying £129 for a premium location in the centre of Bakewell on a one night Saturday night stay, I feel is quite reasonable.

In much the same way as you left feedback, - why don't you leave feedback at the time of your visit and we can do something about it at the time - not when Elvis has left the building.

You have gone to great lengths complaining about little issues, but the headline starts off with " Food Superb........." - It's only disappointing you didn't go to the same lengths describing this side of the the coin, maybe that was too difficult.....if you get my drift!

Regardless, thank you for choosing the Peacock, and at the very least you were fed and watered well, and we were clean, even if you couldn't wipe your bum in style!

Reviewed March 1, 2014

We needed to meet friends somewhere between Manchester and Sheffield, and chose Bakewell and The Peacock on account of many good reviews and a promising menu. I confess a part of me was hoping for something to complain about so I could get a strong rebuttal from the publican, but sadly this was not the case, the food was simply wonderful. The menu was full of tempting choices, and I went for the fish pie. My wife chose a steak and ale pie, and our kids opted for F&C and a cheese burger from the children's menu. The pub was full but we had plenty of room around our table, the food arrived after a short wait, seven meals pretty much at the same moment, and portions were excellent (so excellent I could not manage a pudding), my fish pie was very tasty and full of fish, prawns and mussels covered with a cheesy mash. Luckily it was so good, as I had a pang of regret when I saw our friend's salt n'pepper squid and prawns with noodles - a real plateful. Not only was the food tasty and substantial, it was all beautifully served. I am mystified how anyone can score this establishment less than 4, and for me it was well worth top marks. Staff were also very professional, most looked under 25 years old to me (and more like 18-21) and they deserve particular praise for their hard work and competence. Highly recommended for adults and families.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
thepeacockbakewell, Ant & Dec - we got 10 Stars at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2014

.....thanks to the Professor for the two glowing reviews posted on Trip Advisor....

One on the restaurant site, and this one on the - well let's call it the pub site as there are two sites fot the Peacock - in Bakewell of course, where our happy customers can post reviews.

The Professor I feel enjoyed it so much as a meeting place to wine and dine with his friends, that he thought we deserved two posts - that's Ten Stars Professor!

I'm just dissapointed you couldn't manage a Pudding, so that's my rebuttal for you delivered in person - thank you, and we'll see you again, and don't leave it to an excuse to meet friends next time!

Now that's two rebuttals......!!!

Reviewed February 10, 2014

A sunday afternoon walk and a nice meal at The Peacock. Inside its very nice and retains plenty of charm. Good beers and menu. Food is presented in a quirky style which I like. Lasagne and a steak pie were excellent and reasonably priced - 2 clean plates. Looking around at other diners all the food looks excellent and all plates are clean. Service is good and as one would expect in a well prepared food establishment, you may have to wait a bit, but not that long. Give it a try and I am sure you will enjoy. Dont really undertsand some of the negative reviews.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
thepeacockbakewell, just go, and you won't be dissapointed at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

....and as your namesake once said.

'The shortest answer is doing the thing'- Ernest Hemingway.

And we like to think we do the thing - whatever the thing is....

Maybe it's putting up with the dim wits that moan & groan becaues we are busy and they don't like to wait, I don't know, but we thank you for giving the good advice as "Just Go" says it all in an instance, and we like you, hemingwayaway feel that's all you need to know!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bakewell
Bagshaw Hall
Riverside House Hotel
Riverside House Hotel
#2 of 4 in Ashford-in-the-Water
The Devonshire Arms at Beeley

Been to The Peacock Bakewell? Share your experiences!