“Disappointingly wonderful!”

Ranked #13 of 47 Bakewell B&B and Inns
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Disappointingly wonderful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

We needed to meet friends somewhere between Manchester and Sheffield, and chose Bakewell and The Peacock on account of many good reviews and a promising menu. I confess a part of me was hoping for something to complain about so I could get a strong rebuttal from the publican, but sadly this was not the case, the food was simply wonderful. The menu was full of tempting choices, and I went for the fish pie. My wife chose a steak and ale pie, and our kids opted for F&C and a cheese burger from the children's menu. The pub was full but we had plenty of room around our table, the food arrived after a short wait, seven meals pretty much at the same moment, and portions were excellent (so excellent I could not manage a pudding), my fish pie was very tasty and full of fish, prawns and mussels covered with a cheesy mash. Luckily it was so good, as I had a pang of regret when I saw our friend's salt n'pepper squid and prawns with noodles - a real plateful. Not only was the food tasty and substantial, it was all beautifully served. I am mystified how anyone can score this establishment less than 4, and for me it was well worth top marks. Staff were also very professional, most looked under 25 years old to me (and more like 18-21) and they deserve particular praise for their hard work and competence. Highly recommended for adults and families.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
thepeacockbakewell, Ant & Dec - we got 10 Stars at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
.....thanks to the Professor for the two glowing reviews posted on Trip Advisor....

One on the restaurant site, and this one on the - well let's call it the pub site as there are two sites fot the Peacock - in Bakewell of course, where our happy customers can post reviews.

The Professor I feel enjoyed it so much as a meeting place to wine and dine with his friends, that he thought we deserved two posts - that's Ten Stars Professor!

I'm just dissapointed you couldn't manage a Pudding, so that's my rebuttal for you delivered in person - thank you, and we'll see you again, and don't leave it to an excuse to meet friends next time!

Now that's two rebuttals......!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

A sunday afternoon walk and a nice meal at The Peacock. Inside its very nice and retains plenty of charm. Good beers and menu. Food is presented in a quirky style which I like. Lasagne and a steak pie were excellent and reasonably priced - 2 clean plates. Looking around at other diners all the food looks excellent and all plates are clean. Service is good and as one would expect in a well prepared food establishment, you may have to wait a bit, but not that long. Give it a try and I am sure you will enjoy. Dont really undertsand some of the negative reviews.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
thepeacockbakewell, just go, and you won't be dissapointed at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
....and as your namesake once said.

'The shortest answer is doing the thing'- Ernest Hemingway.

And we like to think we do the thing - whatever the thing is....

Maybe it's putting up with the dim wits that moan & groan becaues we are busy and they don't like to wait, I don't know, but we thank you for giving the good advice as "Just Go" says it all in an instance, and we like you, hemingwayaway feel that's all you need to know!
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

My husband and I recently stayed overnight at The Peacock Bakewelll We had evening meal and breakfast both meals were excellent we would certainly stay again and the staff were very helpful. Our room was very comfortable.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
thepeacockbakewell, I only light the candles on the cake at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
…..does anyone here remember Vera Lynn?

Remember how she said that we'll meet again some sunny day!

Vere, Vera - what has become of you, does anyone else in here feel the way I do?

Thank you to the modern day Vera M who enjoyed her Birthday Treat at the Peacock, and we hope we will meet again - some sunny day!

Vera/Pink Floyd - The Wall…..find it on You Tube.
Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

The best food me and my husband have ever eaten ! I had fish which was a special and believe me it was something special ! My husband had the game pie and he hasn't stopped going on about it since ;+) ...
We were that impressed with the staff, ambience & food that we have booked an overnight stay in June ! I can't wait ;+) x

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Buddens
thepeacockbakewell, The one and only member of the Charlie Rich Fan Club at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
….now listen here folks, the Buddens have got it spot on with this review and I for one will be looking forward to their return in June, so once again we can spoil them with our hospitality and give them some lovely choices that no doubt the chefs will have prepared for our 'specials board'

The choices are changed regulary, and are mouth watering to say the least, and I feel if you come to the Peacock and Fish is up there on the menu board - do yourself a favour and sample, because trust me you will not find itt prepared and presented better any where in Derbyshire - Hey, but what do I know?

Thank You for the lovely review and as we have said - see you at Mid Summer in June.

Beware - there's gonna be a lot of bikes in Bakewell that weekend…….
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

My husband and I stayed for two nights over new year with my Sister and her partner who stayed in room 4 , we stayed in room 5 which was lovely and comfortable and had a "special bed" Food was excellent' breakfast was first class. Excellent location and loads of pubs within walking distance to sample some of the many real ales on offer. Would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Room 5 has a "special bed"
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
thepeacockbakewell, the man with the key to ? at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
When your sister celebrates her 50th birthday we are endured to make it special, and with the surprise you gave her all in all the objective was achieved BP.

No need to throw any petrol on your fire, as you all seemed to have a good time, and we thank you both for the lovely posts - hopefully we'll see you again, as I guess you may want to try out that special bed again!!!

50th or no 50th???

Thanks for the nice reviews.
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

Stayed with my partner here along with sis and her other half. Had a lovely stay and food excellent both at breakfast and evening meal. Great location so you are able to leave the car and find plenty to do. Special thanks for my suprise birthday breakfast. Staff were helpful and friendly at all times. We stayed in room 4 in the courtyard annexe which was very nice. My sis in room 4 with the 'special bed'!

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank foxylady02
thepeacockbakewell, the kid that lights the candles at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Thanks to the foxy lady as the pleasure was all ours, and as 50th's come around only the once - so happy you have a good memory to keep, and the surprise I feel was well appreciated!

Your sister was in room 5 with the special bed that would compliment any 21st never mind the 50th, but thanks for spending the new year with us, and I'm sure we'll see you again from up the road in Derby.
Northumberland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

Travelling to the south from Northumberland I decided to split the journey and visit Bakewell
The town was very busy but I booked a room at The Peacock on a B&B basis
My room was fine and very comfortable with en suite and TV
The busy bar served excellent food and the local beers were excellent
The pub gas it's own car park and is bang in the centre of town and ideal for a night or two or longer

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Graeme U
thepeacockbakewell, the guy who makes the beds at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Comfy stays are our speciality Graeme U, and add the fantastic food we serve and whether travelling north or south, Bakewell is a lovely choice of any split journey, so thank you for the review and I know you especially enjoyed your fish pie - who wouldn't…..

See you anytime you visit our waters!