“Good location and good food”

The Peacock Bakewell
Ranked #14 of 44 Bakewell B&B and Inns
newcastle upon tyne
“Good location and good food”
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for four nights while touring Derbyshire Dales ....good location in the heart of Bakewell....breakfasts excellent , evening meals very good choice on menu. Rooms cosy and en-suite in a small annex adjacent to the pub. Overall, good value stay and hope to be back sooner rather than later.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Visited the Peacock in July 2012, and was so impressed with the food and service we made two visits. Therefore, on a return visit to the area we decided to call in again, and just hoped that the food was as good as we remembered (and the steak and ale pie was still on the menu!!). Thank goodness it was and just as we expected. The little glass of ale was so cute, and a nice touch.
We will certainly call in again on our next visit.
PS The chips are the best we have ever tasted!

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I had been to Bakewell once last year for the day and wanted to return as I remembered it to be a lovely place. My partner Charles and I decided to spend the weekend there and I chose The Peacock because of the good reviews I had read on Tripadvisor. We were not disappointed, far from it. We booked the four poster room, which was wonderful, clean, lovely bed linen and all we would want for our stay. The location of the hotel was perfect. Right in the centre of Bakewell. The food was, well, lovely, plenty of it and cannot be faulted in any way! The presentation was an art in itself. Breakfast was great, all freshly cooked and very tasty. I would give The Peacock 5 stars and we would highly recommend it and will return soon.

1 Thank Janeandcharles
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My family of 8 arrived unannounced and were found seating immediately without fuss. When the food arrived I could not believe the quality. Guinness pie came with a small glass of Guinness the chilli came in a tortilla basket all the salads had been created with interest and variety in mind I could go on. These meals were produced by a chef not a microwave operative. This is my first review.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Allan B
Scarborough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Having stayed at this pub before we had looked forward to returning and experiencing the fab food again. Booked in for bed breakfast and an evening meal. We arrived earlier that expected and our room was not ready but we were offered tea, coffee, or drinks while we waited. Graham the proprietor was apologetic and very pleasant. After been shown to our room( 2)
Which was really lovely, clean, and cosy. We booked and reserved a corner for the evening meal. The food was totally wonderful, my hubby had the homemade ale pie, and it was really homemade, real fresh veg not frozen crap like the other local pubs serve. All served piping hot and beautifully presented. I opted for the steak, with proper home cooked chips and side of mushrooms and tomato. The steak was cooked to my request perfectly and was outstandingly tasty and juicy.I was dissapionted that l had no room for a pudding but that was my own fault for trying to clear my plate.
Breakfast was served by Graham lackin the apron (shame)as he was a waitress down, it was a little amusing to see him running around getting orders and was a little flustered when confronted with rude patrons, but he handled them very well! Breakfast again was fresh, hot , and tasty. Proper sausage and black pudding. With a good hot cuppa.
This is a wonderful pub, in the heart of Bakewell, so you might expect prices to be a little higher, but you do get what you pay for, excellent food, in a cosy clean pub.
If you get chance talk to Graham, OMG his stories of his naughty days were so funny. About his rocking days and touring the world selling T-shirts!!! We will only ever stay in the Peacock in Bake well, no other pub is worth even looking into.
AND YES GRAHAM BON JOVI DID ROCK THAT WEEKEND.

Room Tip: We had room 2 Its on the ground floor so good if you are disabled.
1 Thank Sue T
thepeacockbakewell, Owner at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Sue T - as Jon Bon Jovi might say...... (you want to) make a memory - what about now, and as this ain't a love song, there's always a room at the end of the world - always at the Peacock.

We will never be a lost highway, and as it's my life and I'm known as the fighter in dry county as we all know the Peaks is, and it is not Guano City, but more a bed of roses, i'm with you because i'll sleep when i'm dead and i'll be there for you in my life, so you have a nice day - everyday, in the beautiful world because we can in these arms, and although you weren't born to be my baby, as there's too much blood money or is it bad medicine from this army of one - nah keep the faith and don't bang the drum too loud.

Dying ain't much of a living unless you lay your hands on me, but that would be a miracle and we would have to runaway livin' on a prayer....

Have a nice day!

Amen.

Thanks for the nice review - glad you both enjoyed your stay and come back soon as there are plenty more stories to tell???

No apologies......
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2013

As a group of 7 ladies, we had been to nearby Haddon Hall for the day and we wanted to find a place to have a nice drink afterwards. We arrived around 5pm on a Saturday afternoon, and as we walked in, we were greeted at the door by a staff member wanting to know what we were coming in for.....?! Well, it's a pub so clearly we were there for drinks?? We were told in no uncertain terms that if people came in to eat, we might be asked to give up the table we were about to sit at/possibly leave. Several of us found this massively rude, as a party of 7 people wanting to stay for several drinks is good business. We're ladies in our 30's/40's so hardly looked like trouble so not exactly sure what warranted that greeting?
After that though, it was lovely. The pub itself is really nice - good ambience, good drinks selection (although they ran out of the Kopparberg cider some of us were drinking). After 3 rounds, we decided the food we kept seeing looked and smelled so good so we all ordered food (herein lies my point.....how can you turn away ANY customer who comes in just for a drink? They might do as we did and order food!). The food was absolutely delicious - hot, fresh, tasty and served very quickly.
This is my second visit here - I once visited with my parents & husband for Sunday lunch and it was lovely. I have no complaints other than the very strange 'welcome' we received, although some of the bar staff could be a bit more cheerful, perhaps make eye contact and say please and thank you. Customer service goes a long way.....but all in all, everything else about this place was good.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank NottinghamLisa
A very strange post in the sense that we asked a very simple question as a greeting gesture - not as is originally implied...

"What the hell are you coming for?"

The member of staff who greeted NottinghamLisa and her six companions was simply enquiring, so as she could ascertain where to seat the so called "Magnificent Seven"

The Peacock for all it's sins is not simply a Pub - if it was - yours truly would be away on the fastest horse out of town, and as NottinghamLisa rightly points out in her post the Peacock is etc. etc.

And what we can also say is, the Peacock is not a pub that relies on a round of drinks.....

Judge us on that statement as you wish - but let me assure the Lass from Nottingham we feel it is she that has paranoia on her greeting - we were just trying to do the right thing at the given time to make help her understand the Peacock.

A PUB - God forbid is that's all we were!!!!! - didn't Pubs die back in the.....well Pubs did die, a long time ago.

Hey Lass and we sold out of Kopparberg....mmmn doesn't that also tell you something - we are the Peacock in Bakewell, and we sell out - Packed again I Guess!!!!

How do we improve of that Lass?
north wales
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

I sent an email asking if the had any winter deals. The reply I got was 4 nights for the price of 3 midweek. I then sent an email asking would it be £100 a night if we staid over the weekend, the reply was 100/100/80/70. How was I meant to make sense of this it was like he couldn't be bothered. I replied it didn't matter I would look elsewhere as I felt he couldn't be bothered the reply no problem. What kind of an attitude is that running a business's???

Stayed June 2013
21 Thank jessica76
Absolutely unbelievable that some person I have never even met, and has never ever been to the Peacock is allowed to post a review on Trip Advisor that is simply fictitious in a very edited version in a very prejudice sense.

The lady jessica76 sent me a very abrupt email asking if we had any winter offers and as a matter of courtesy I responded very briefly that I would give her 4 nights for the price of 3 - if it was mid week.

She then asked again, in another very short and abrupt manner for the weekend, which forgive me here, but the weekend she is now requesting is NOT mid week, so I informed this lady that it would cost her "100/100/90/70" respectively - please inform me how that is not crystal clear it is referring to the four days she required, and not to some marks out of 10

What I really find disappointing, even grossly unfair, is that someone who hasn't even met me or been to the Peacock - which incidentally jessica76 states she visited in June this year - total fabrication - can submit information that is a total spin on the truth as a malicious and vindictive act for their own gratification.

The lady in question certainly needs to re access the way she conducts herself and blaming others is not the answer.

Unfortunately the rules of Trip Advisor do not allow me to post the email correspondances and this seems to generate totally fabricated reviews on this site.

I know how I conduct myself, and being in the business I am in have seen some strange behaviour from certain individuals, but lies and spin I do not, and will not condone from any one - unfortunately the likes of facebook & twitter have left many people face-less and twits.....