The Peacock Bakewell
$113
$165
$69
PremierInn.com
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsthe publarge portionsfish finger sandwichsteakpeak alescar parkchillihomity piemonday marketwonderful foodchatsworth goldfull englishposter bedcentre of townpuddingbreakfast was excellentevening meal
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We went here for dinner based on a recommendation from the owner of the hotel we were staying in. The food was great and service was good. I had the beef and ale pie - well worth a try and my partner had the sausages and mash, though he said the mash tasted a bit like smash so was a bit disappointed by that. We didn't try any of the local ales but were told they are very nice so may be worth a try if you ever visit.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Georgia1410
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We ate here on 29th March. I phoned two weeks before to book a table.
I chose this restaurant based on Tripadvisor reviews and the menu options on their website.

We arrived at the Peacock early and so ordered a drink and sat in the bar area. There was only a choice of two tables as all of the others in the bar area had not been cleaned and had plates on them. After 20 minutes (about 6pm) a waitress moved the plates and cleaned the tables.
It was quiet when we arrived but started to fill up in the bar area at about 6.30pm.

I spoke to one of the waitresses to say that we had booked a table and we were ready to go through to the restaurant. She didn't seem to get what I was saying and simply said she'd bring the menus and cutlery over. When I said that we'd booked a table for the restaurant she said 'That's fine' without asking my name. I said 'We've booked for the restaurant. Surely if you want us to eat in the bar you'd like to make free that tabvle we have booked in thevrestaurant to offer it to someone else?".

She brought the menus and then left us to it. I then went to the bar to speak to a different waitress and she said we can sit where we like - which I then wondered why I had bothered to book a table.

We stayed where we were sitting in the bar. At first this was fine but the bar area filled up and became quite loud. All the tables in the bar area were taking by those eating and everyone who just wanted to drink had to stand at the bar. Oddly the restaurant area that is shown on the website was empty.

So to summarise, if the waitresses actually utilised the seating area properly then:
- there would be more seating for those that wanted to eat;
- the noise level would be more comfortable;
- they could better time the orders through to the kitchen to stead y the workflow of the kitchen staff; and
- there would be somewhere for those who just want a drink to sit.

Good informal food if you happen to be passing by.
Not so great that it's worth booking and driving to especially.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank mikki6416
thepeacockbakewell, Owner at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Ok - It's Easter (Good) Friday and we have been now informed how to run our little establishment to suit the needs of one couple.

Do I stop here, or would you prefer me carry on and hear how we run the Peacock on busy, busy days? - yes it was packed - again
I don't understand it, the Peacock is constantly full with diners and a few drinkers mingled in, and with it being Good Friday tea time there were also quite a few locals sampling our Local Peak Ales from the ever faithful Bakewell Best to the gorgeous Chatsworth Gold.

So mikki6416 gives a review that says 'Good Food but a bit Disorganised' -

Firstly let me point out categorically that no one has ever arrived at the Peacock at around 5.30pm to find tables that weren't cleaned down if only two tables were unoccupied - this would, and never be allowed to happen, ok there may have been the odd table that required cleaning down as one or two diners may have just left - just, but within a minute the waitresses are on it under my watchful eye, as if there is one issue I can not abide at the Peacock, or any other eating establishment I visit, is dirty tables from the previous diners.

The Peacock is a Pub - and may we add a very Good One, so it is not run as a restaurant per se, although we feel that the food served surpasses many a restaurant, so if you book a table we will endeavour to fit you in at a table that could in effect be any where in the Pub, but we are not a restaurant as in Restaurant.

As for the comments on noise level - I do find a little amusing - after all mikki6416, would you have us to inform everyone to Shush, while they are enjoying a few beers - no I didn't think you would, because people are the life blood of any Bar or Restaurant - whether they are having a banter with their mates, or sat at a table wining & dining with friends - so as you may gather the Peacock welcomes everybody, and encourages everybody to be who they are, and enjoy who they are!

Even if you sat in utter silence - you would still enjoy the Peacock, and it would still be worth the drive - Allegedly.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed at the peacock inn on the Easter bank holiday arrived Saturday staff very helpful and friendly, breakfast was superb, we stay in room 3 with the four poster bed, massive shower !!! Fantastic !!!

Lovely walks , try peak ales , thank you we,ll be back , Bruce, Col, Matt, Sal , Bromsgrove , worcs

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank BromsgroveDolphin
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Went today for Sunday lunch at the peacock and even though they were packed on a sunny day in Bakewell they managed to squeeze us in as a family of 5. The service was excellent and quick considering how busy they were. The beef was cooked perfectly pink just as I like it and came with a large home made Yorkshire pudding, extra gravy was supplied on request.what a treat. We then went for a walk around the town to end a perfect afternoon.

Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Frise12
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We were in Bakewell around Christmas. The first time I went in The Peacock, it was a cold, wet lunch time. The Peacock looked warm and inviting, so I bought a paper and went in for a drink.
They have a great selection of ales. Living near Hertford, I like my ales without a head (or "flat" as the barman said), so I asked for my pints pulled without the sparkler. Happily, I wasn't asked to leave.
This pub is warm, welcoming, cosy ... I'm trying to think of suitable "good" words. The atmosphere is lively and chatty, in a relaxed and comfortable way.
I liked the place so much that I came back the following day, with all the family, and had lunch. If, like me, your idea of good pub food is to be traditional, but do it very well, then this place scores top marks. My burger, obviously freshly made, with melting cheese, fresh salad, superb chips, a delicious bun, etc, was a delight. Throw in a couple more pints of that (flat, lol) real ale, and you have my idea of an ideal pub.
Happily, we are back in Bakewell for Easter, and we will definitely be dropping in at The Peacock.
On both days, we went at lunch time, so we haven't yet tried this pub in the evening. Watch this space! But if you want somewhere to go for a good pub lunch, I would definitely suggest trying The Peacock. We really, really liked it. I wish my local was this good.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family