“Mixed results on this visit”
Review of The Elm Tree

The Elm Tree
Ranked #16 of 358 Restaurants in Chesterfield
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 10, 2014

We tend to visit the Elm tree on special occasions as we feel it is quite expensive for very regular visits. However you generally get what you pay for, here at least. On this visit my starter of scallops was very average for the price of £7.50. Not very warm and quite soggy with little taste. My wife's starter of mackerel fillet was excellent, I was informed. Both main courses were excellent, my lamb was superb, my wife's pork medallions likewise. Our two desserts were also a mixed result, my 5 scoops of excellent ice cream in a brandy snap basket was very good, my wife's key lime tartlet was unbelievably small, I would have been embarrassed to serve it, it was that tiny. Overall though well worth a visit for a special occasion.

1  Thank AndrewAndDenise
There are newer reviews for The Elm Tree

Reviewed April 4, 2014

We've eaten here quite a few times as a family with children and have always been very happy with the food and service.

The last time I reviewed this place (19/10/2013) I gave it 5/5.

However, this time we were somewhat disappointed.

We booked a table for 5 at 5:30pm on a Friday and arrived approximately 20 minutes early. The place had only a couple of tables taken.

We were shown to a table for 4 and the waitress brought a 5th chair and placed it at the end of the table in the main thoroughfare of the dining area.

Not only that, but we were seated right next to another table with 4 diners, our backs were to their table, only 6 or so inches from the side of their table and I'm sure they didn't feel very happy about it either. It certainly felt to us that little thought had gone into seating our party.
It seemed as though the waitress wanted to keep everybody together in the same area as close to the bar & kitchen as possible.

There were at least 2 more empty tables that would hae accommodated our party that would have made us feel less crowded and where a 5th chair would not have felt so 'in the way'.

We ordered 2 x meat & potato pie, chicken fajitas, pork medallions in green peppercorn & stilton sauce (from the Specials board) and a child's cheese burger. As the fajitas dish comes with a large plate with tortillas, chips and salad plus a small plate with 3 dips plus a sizzling platter with chicken, onions and peppers, a table for 4 people was woefully inadequate for all the food, drinks and five diners.

We did not have complaints about the majority of the food (which we've ordered on previous visits) but the pork medallions were a big disappointment. All the pork medallions I've ordered in restaurants and have bought to cook at home have been small in diameter but quite thick i.e. cut from the fillet. The ones served to us were around 0.5cm thick (less than quarter of an inch) as though they had been beaten to make them thinner. Actually they were more like escalopes of pork and if we had known that was the way the dish was presented, we would have ordered something different.

3 of the diners had sweets and they were very good.

Even so, taking everything into account, this was not a very satisfactory visit from our perspective.

Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

My daughter took me here for a Mother's Day Meal and it was fantastic. The food is first class, the atmosphere friendly and relaxing. Beautiful surroundings for a wonderfully presented venue. Our first visit but definitely not our last.

Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

We try to call in every week. Why. Because in our opinion it is the best local restaurant. It deserves a higher rating than it has achieved on Tripadvisor. Every aspect of the dining experience is catered for. I would unreservedly recommend their fish main courses. Cooked to perfection. The staff engage the customers in friendly banter. They are also very knowledgable of the dishes on the menu and can suggest alternatives to suit every palate. This engagement and knowledge together with the sommeliers appraisals of the wines on offer is something you would expect to find only in a fine dining establishment. It just goes to show that if you employ the best staff with the best training you achieve great results. Well done to all concerned. See you soon.

1  Thank 242,201
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I visited the Elm Tree on Saturday 15th March with family. It was my first time to visit but I had chosen it on recommendation, particularly because I was told the ale was good - we are all keen on good real ale. The meal was fine but unadventurous - I had Moroccan Lamb curry. The lamb was nicely cooked, but the curry sauce had nothing to justify it being called Moroccan - it tasted like an Indian Korma to me. The vegetables were excellent. We were all impressed with the desserts. Service was okay but not outstanding by any means. My main disappointment was the ale however. It is a Marstons house and two ales had the Marstons label, there was a guest ale for which I could not identify the brewery and they also had Jennings Snecklifter which I believe is also closely associated with Marstons. I started with the guest ale which was described as a golden beer with a citrus finish - it was ice cold, amber and malty - no hint of citrus. It also tasted stale to me. I later tried the SneckLifter which again was colder than I would expect and characterless. The overall price was reasonable, but there are a lot of local pub restaurants which serve food as good or better and also keep their ale well, so I doubt if I will visit again for a while and hope their standards improve in the meantime.