“Food OK but appalling service”
Review of Old Post Restaurant - CLOSED

Old Post Restaurant
Cuisines: British, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
“Food OK but appalling service”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We waited 30 mins to receive a drink and a further 10 minutes for a menu. The time between courses was ridiculous and it took 3 1/2 hours for 2 courses. After dinner we had to ask several times for a dessert menu and in the end gave up and paid.

4 Thank ohblondone

London
“Don't be put off by location”
Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

Well we have nearly eaten at the old post several times in the past but for whatever reason hadn’t until last Saturday. I really wish we had gone sooner!

After reading excellent reviews, and from just booking the restaurant and experiencing Delia’s friendly helpful attitude I had high expectations. We entered straight into the cosy little bar, little wood burning log stove and seating area. We had booked an early table as had plans for later in the evening. We declined a drink in the bar ( next time though....) and sat down at our table. I wasn’t 100% regarding the set up of the dining area until the wine glasses arrived. Sounds silly but as soon as the wine and water glasses arrived it looked more lovely cosy restaurant, more fitting for the menu snd reviews and little less tea house. Delia went through the extensive drinks options including local brewery ales.
During the evening we had a lovely pinot noir, and malbac. As we booked early we were dining on the early bird menu. When I first enquired I was fearful of the lesser standard menu at a cheaper price, but was extremely delighted to hear that it was the same menu just at a fixed price to encourage the earlier diners and no doubt to increase their table covers.
As we were pondering over the menu some appetisers arrived, they were fantastic and a lovely addition which got our taste buds going!
We ordered starters varying from smoked chicken salad, crispy duck and salmon fishcakes. The fishcakes were the tables favourite but it was all good ( the ham hock looked fab but we didn’t order it – next time)
Mains were very good, the own smoked chicken and stilton were really well balanced on flavour, wild boar very strong almost gamey, but the star was the beef fillet. To my uttermost delight Delia had told me she had changed the menu the day before and emailed it to me. I needed to phone again and when asked about the menu I said it looked great but was slightly gutted the blue cheese and port had gone. When we arrived at the restaurant she told me I’d like the desserts. It was back there. What a way to finish off with blue cheese and port. Having said that the other desserts amongst the table were delicious too.

All in all a really lovely meal with fantastic friendly service. At full prices pricey but pricey because it is a nice venue and good food, so maybe about right.
On the early bird, for the food, service and venue it’s an easy win. It’s also the first restaurant that I would happily spend 20 mins sat having a drink at the bar beforehand.
Why didn’t we discover earlier, always stuck for places to eat on town but not anymore!!'

We will be back

• Visited May 2013
Bristol, England
“Still great”
Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

We had a wonderful meal here a couple of years ago, so booked again when next in Chesterfield. We found out it had new owners but didn't need to be worried. The food was still great, as was the service. Also a reasonably priced wine list and coped well with vegetarians. Everyone was delighted with their food. I just wish this restaurant wasn't two hundred miles from us !

• Visited May 2013
Chesterfield
“top quality”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

some of the best food in Derbyshire. Very small and cannot accommodate many customers so booking a must but wonderful food

Visited December 2012
uk
“Sunday lunch”
Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Great adult atmosphere here, enjoyed a good Sunday lunch. Good service, tasty food cooked and served with care on red hot plates. Excellent. Set menu £15 for 2 or £20 for 3 course. Good price for good food.

Visited April 2013