“Down to earth Spa Day”

The Manor At Brampton Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: Brampton Manor is a 16th century property, originally built by two brothers from 1585 through to 1599 as a manor house, with residential use up until early 1960s where it was then purchased by two local business men to create an exclusive gentleman's dining and gaming club.Developed over the years as you know it today, a local family friendly club hosting extensive facilities to Non Members as well as Members, operated with the same charm and passion it was built with all those years ago. Along with the main building, there is also the historic Grade II listed Gazebo which hosts many weddings throughout the summer months in the pool courtyard gardens which enjoys sunshine throughout the day. Minutes away from the centre of Chesterfield's historic market town and the famous 'Crooked Spire' church, Chesterfield Museum, Chatsworth House, Hardwick Hall, Bolsover Castle, and many other attractions around the Derbyshire dales and Peak District on our doorstep. Brampton Manor is a popular Derbyshire, South Yorkshire and Peak District venue for weddings, receptions and functions along with fantastic facilities for business, which include conferences, business meetings and event activities. Family entertainment for non members and fun is welcomed, with regular events and themed evenings held in the Newly Refurbished Manor Bar hosting live music, homemade food and fabulous Sunday carvery. Why not also join us in our fully equiped health and fitness centre, as one of very few venues in Chesterfield that offer a heated indoor pool, squash courts, fully air conditioned gymnasium as well as private studio classes and fitness rooms, all available with both adult and junior exclusive membership packages to suit your fitness needs and your pocket!
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed October 12, 2013

After reading reviews on here I was really worried about going to this spa however after my visit I was pleasently suprised and what Id call a down to earth gals day to enjoy. I booked Brampton Manor Spa and Salon to treat my VERY busy Mum. I bought a 2 for £8 wowcher and we had a really great day. We had a full body massage and facial- it was brilliant! The girls made us feel very comfortable and we were both very impressed. We then went for a swim/jacuzzi/steam of which we enjoyed also followed by yummy lunch and came home. Ok its not luxurious, it is a pub restaurant "pub grub" with the salon at the opposite end to the pool and could do with a cosmetic update. However if like us you dont like that "la- de dar" posh snobbish- ness at Spas then this is the place for you. There is a gym/creche/general pool activites and so there are some children and people there not on spa days. If youre a 5 star spa kinda gal then this is not the place for you. Hope this helps!

1  Thank Cheryl M
BusinessManager2013, Manager at The Manor At Brampton Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Thank you for your lovely comments, they are very much appreciated and I will be passing them on to the staff here.
We hope to see you again soon by using your return vouchers.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

The name of the place suggests more luxury than you actually get, most of the facilities are very old, I would call this a "leisure centre" rather than a spa.

Although the place has loads of potential, it falls short on a few points...
The machines they have in the gym are quite posh and even have their own air conditioning built in, however there aren't many so I'm assuming it may get quite busy at times,
The steam room is a very small room next to the pool with about 6 beige plastic seats, BUT it is very nice and clean with a good, even temperature.
The sauna is lovely, I can't fault that at all, especially since it isn't a communal sauna which means you don't have to stand sweaty men looking at you funny :)

Okay, so that's my grumble, now on to the good stuff!
The pool is lovely! Really modern shaped and clean, with comfy loungers around the side and a good temperature for lounging too
I've seen some people complaining that there were children in the pool, I don't find this a problem, especially since the receptionist told us beforehand which times were the quietest and which time the swimming lessons were.
We visited in October so we didn't venture outside but from the pool you can see a really well laid out garden area with benches and stuff which would be lovely to sit on and read, I think.
The pub attached also serves flipping food and has guest ales on tap, no complaints there! (It helped that the barmen were nice to look at...)

Now for the biggest good bit THE THERAPY ROOMS!
Since we got a wowcher for this, we got 20% off our treatments so I had an Aromatherapy Facial and an Indian Head, Neck and Shoulder Massage for £44. Oooooh god, I left the room like an absolute zombie!
Rhena, my therapist, was utterly fantastic, she seemed to know exactly what I wanted without me even asking, she turned up the heating a little after I'd been laid still a while, she found a knot in my shoulder I didn't know I had and gently rubbed it out without making me wince, she even moved my head into a more comfortable position just as I started realising I wasn't as comfy as I could be :) She was also very quiet and calming, none of the mindless chatter that you sometimes get with people in the beauty trade :) I really couldn't sing her praises enough. Seriously, request her!

I would highly recommend this as a day out if you live close by or are visiting Chesterfield for a weekend, the price alone makes it worth it! Just make sure you get your treatments at the end of the day so you feel the benefit for the rest of the week :)

1  Thank YorkshireBrat

Thank you for your lovely comments and your review of Brampton Manor. I have taken on board all your comments and will pass them on to the relevant parties.
We look forward to seeing you soon with your return vouchers.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

Not very impressed. Came here for a day expecting something a bit luxurious and didn't get it. The "spa" is something I can only describe as a conservatory with a swimming pool. The steam room is tiny but functional. Something I didn't understand, was the amount of young children that were in the pool, splashing, screaming and playing throwing games to each other. Now, I'm a Father myself and understand that children love to play and that's what they do, but if children are going to be in there, then don't advertise it as a relaxing spa, because it isn't! It was not possible to relax AT ALL. This is basically a leisure centre attached to a pub. If it's relaxation you're after, avoid this place.

Thank you for your feedback about our Spa.
We do have Adult only swim times but as this is a members club, children who are members also use the pool.
I appreciate your comments and views and will act on them accordingly.

Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

I went for a £65 massage and manicure! The place smelt of damp and while I was having massage in the next room a very loud customer was upset because she had a moustache! Seriously! Manicure had chipped by the time I got home. I was told it was " posh" obviously my idea of Posh is very different

I am very sorry to hear that you did not have the experience you expected.
As always a manager is on hand and if on the odd chance we do have an issue we endevour to sort it out before our clients leave.
If you wish to contact me directly please do not hesitate.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

Booked the spa day 2 for £8 through wowcher for me and a friend. After reading reviews online I had my reservations before we even arrived! To summarise, the venue is not a spa it's a pub with a privately run leisure centre attached to the side. The pool is at one end of the building, it's a nice pool with a nice jacuzzi which we enjoyed using but to use the sauna you have to walk to the other side of the building, past the squash courts and in to the changing rooms. The sauna is very small (4 people max) and was very grubby and dirty.
The steam room looks more like a bus stop that has been plonked at the side of the pool and when we arrived we were told "oh sorry it's not working, the doors not even on it".
The only part we enjoyed was using the pool and jacuzzi but we could've done that nearer to home instead of driving a 60 mile round trip! Half way through us being in the pool an excercise class started with music blaring, not exactly relaxing like most spas!
If you are looking for a real spa day - don't go here!!

Thank you for your comments, I have taken them on board.
Joanne Gregory