“Generally good”

The Manor At Brampton Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: Brampton Manor is a 16th century property, originally built by two brothers from 1585 through to 1599 as a manor house, with residential use up until early 1960s where it was then purchased by two local business men to create an exclusive gentleman's dining and gaming club.Developed over the years as you know it today, a local family friendly club hosting extensive facilities to Non Members as well as Members, operated with the same charm and passion it was built with all those years ago. Along with the main building, there is also the historic Grade II listed Gazebo which hosts many weddings throughout the summer months in the pool courtyard gardens which enjoys sunshine throughout the day. Minutes away from the centre of Chesterfield's historic market town and the famous 'Crooked Spire' church, Chesterfield Museum, Chatsworth House, Hardwick Hall, Bolsover Castle, and many other attractions around the Derbyshire dales and Peak District on our doorstep. Brampton Manor is a popular Derbyshire, South Yorkshire and Peak District venue for weddings, receptions and functions along with fantastic facilities for business, which include conferences, business meetings and event activities. Family entertainment for non members and fun is welcomed, with regular events and themed evenings held in the Newly Refurbished Manor Bar hosting live music, homemade food and fabulous Sunday carvery. Why not also join us in our fully equiped health and fitness centre, as one of very few venues in Chesterfield that offer a heated indoor pool, squash courts, fully air conditioned gymnasium as well as private studio classes and fitness rooms, all available with both adult and junior exclusive membership packages to suit your fitness needs and your pocket!
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

The manor offered us the groupon deal despite missing out through groupon, this was very impressive. We arrived and were shown around briefly by a very confusing lady, but we found our way around anyway. The downstairs changing rooms are small but I thought clean. My friend said the upstairs changing room, which she saw as she wanted to use the gym, was nicer but she didn't want to walk through the gym in her swimwear so ruled it out.

The jacuzzi and steam room were good and the pool was nice. We felt comfortable using the facilities. Some of us chose to have treatments.. We were all pretty much ignored in the salon until it was time for our treatments, a member of staff even got their nails done while one of us were waiting! Not a good impression.

I was with my friend in a double treatment room which we weren't told about but was ok. However the window and blind were wide open and we were expected to strip for our massage. We had to ask for the blind to be shut. The window was also out onto the children's play area, we heard children screaming and parents yelling as we waited and we asked for the window to be shut as we didn't want to hear this but the request was not granted till it got really loud.

My friend said that the lady who did her massage had a runny nose and kept wiping her nose with her hand and yawning - not nice. My massage was ok, but nothing to write home about.

The food was excellent. We all enjoyed this and said we would go back just to eat. Fab home cooked food.

All in all, 6/7 out of 10 and would be willing up try again to see how it went.

2  Thank Tammy D
"pamper"
in 5 reviews
"footwear"

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Like Katie5103 went on a voucher offer of a Spa day. Dirty unhygienic swimming facilities, tiles missing on pool bottom, false finger nail on side of pool not recent. Lockers broken or no keys, seating area outside a joke assorted plastic or old wooden seats, loungers repaired with plastic clothes lines. Glasses still on tables from night before. Quick swim then left. Waste of petrol from Derby, waste of petrol if you lived round the corner.

4  Thank Carole W
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Just returned from a groupon spa day..the cost was just £8 for 2.. The building and spa is old and tired and much in need of an overhaul.. It's quite dirty inside and out..The pool was nice... No loungers just plastic garden chairs. Basic changing facilities dowstairs.. we used the upstairs changing area, much nicer, the jacuzzi was too warm but otherwise nice. Staff were lovely and friendly. The steam room resembled a white plastic box.. With questionable cleanliness. The food is amazing... As is the salon, I had a full body hot stone massage.. This could be a lovely spa with some basic cleaning and overhauling. Worth £4 each but would be very disappointed if I had paid more. Such a shame. I guess 10 years ago it would have been lovely.

2  Thank Andrea H
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Brampton Manor was once upon a time exactly what it is called...a manor, which has been overtaken by modern life and over the hundreds of years modern houses and buildings built around it. HOWEVER, it's maintained in it's own grounds and is situated at the end of a long drive. If you walk about 30seconds behind the building this will take you to a lovely field and park.
If you want a grand modern and fancy building then don't bother. I personally like this place due to the age of the building, location and how cosy it is. Staff are friendly. Please allow me to clarify cosy, a nice family themed location that's easy enough to navigate and enjoy without it being a massive place for all too see eg some more modern gyms.
I have known this location for many years and used the gym facility on and off and been for drinks in the bar/ restaurant. Today i went with family for fathers day meal, it was lovely.
Food was delicious, well cooked and you could not fault the staff serving, prompt attentive and just 100% spot on, despite it being so busy.
As with any review I write, it's your choice if you go as my preferance may differ to yours but I'm pleased I chose it for something different.

5  Thank DerbyshireHappy
See more reviews
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I recently booked a spa day at Brampton Manor through wowcher for myself and a friend. Admittedly, it wasnt a huge amount of money but had I known before hand waht it was like I wouldnt have even wasted the petrol to get there. Impressive drive up to the 'Manor'...no. There were weeds and tall grass growing all up the drive... ok, so I said that I shouldnt judge it by that. Belive me it was no manor. Going into reception, there was a girl on reception who had no idea. She tanoyed another lady who was to show us round. She led us down a dark and smelly corrider to a swimming pool !!!Where's the other amenities. Well if you can call the white box at the side of the pool that looked like a tardis a steam room then ok, but it was smaller than my shed. The changing rooms were no better. Lockers that we had to go back to reception for a key for (she failed to tell us about that) 1 toilet 2 showers, dirty floors and a baby's cot in a corner which had mould growing on it. Jacuzzi was ok though. We spent 20 mins in that and decided to have a coffee and come home. Even that was too much trouble for the guy behind the counter. My friend asked for a piece of sellotape at reception and the girl said 'we havnt got any' I can honestly say that it was disgusting. Save your money, pay the extra and go to Eden spa.... now thats well worth the 60 odd pounds.

8  Thank katie5103