“Great fresh food .... need a bigger cafe!!!!”

Meringue Bakery and Cafe
Ranked #53 of 351 Restaurants in Chesterfield
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Great fresh food .... need a bigger cafe!!!!”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Went to Meringue for lunch with my mum & baby daughter. We hadn't booked a table as it was a spur of the moment decision and as it was a tuesday we didn't expect it to be busy, which it was although we did manage to get a table for two and managed with my daughter on my knee - there was a high chair but that was in use & there wouldn't have been space at our table.
As others have said, we did have to wait for a while to be served but we weren't in a rush and the staff were constantly on the go and were really happy & friendly!!
We both decided on sandwiches - i chose egg mayonnaise & my mum had tuna. The bread cobs were obviously freshly baked as they were lovely & soft and both were filled to the brim with the delicious filling and served with a lovely side salad.
While we were eating a couple at the next table ordered the lemon meringue - it was HUGE and as lemon meringue is one of my weaknesses I had to follow suit and I am sooooo pleased that I did as it was one of the best meringues I have ever had!! My mum had some chocolate flapjack which she also enjoyed.
All in all it was a very enjoyable lunch - the only downside was the fact that it is very small & the tables are rather close together, although that does add to the atmosphere.
I would definitely return but would probably try to arrange it & book a table next time instead of just dropping in!!

• Visited February 2014

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Excellent food & service”
Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

On our first visit to meringues we were very impressed with the excellent service. Good food and lovely hot coffee. Cleanliness was excellent and well worth a visit. Highly recommend and we'll definitely go back.

“Eye opener”
Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

Have been to meringue a few times and I'm never disappointed. I have eaten in the morning, lunchtime and late afternoon. I have always got a seat and the service is spot on. Food really fresh and the meringue is to die for. Highly recommend.

Visited January 2014
Chester, United Kingdom
“Beware the meringue if you have ulcers!”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

I came here with my wife just before xmas 2013 on recommendation of my sister. I have to repeat some of the comments from other reviewers in that whilst we got a seat no problem, we were completely ignored by waiting staff until it was our turn to be served, as such we didn't know if our presence was noted or not.
Once served the food was good, although the disparity in size between a white and a wholegrain cob was a little disappointing for me, especially as I had plumped for the wholemeal.
Then we come to the meringue. Now I am a meringue fan whilst not professing to be an expert, yet the lemon in mine was so tart it was ulcer inducing. In fact, it was quite a dirty yellow as though over reduced during cooking and so sour it was unbelievable, beyond that of fresh lemons!
What with the hassle of parking I don't think I'll visit again, although for those on foot it's a nice enough place, just beware the meringue!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank L O
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Lovely relaxing cafe”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

First thing is first, if you visit Meringue you HAVE to try the meringue!! It's just huge and amazing!!
The service is very friendly. The food is very good and the atmosphere is very relaxed. We will be going back again :)

• Visited December 2013