“Halloween Baking”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Just had a brilliant afternoon in Meringue with No.1 son. Sue and the team had put on an afternoon's baking with a Halloween theme for the kids. What a brilliant effort; well thought out, well organised, and Josh loved it, coming home with trays of biscuits, cakes and lollipops. What a great way of engaging young minds with food and baking, and not to mention quite a lot of cake and chocolate! Sue and Eleanor ran the whole event, keeping the children busy and engaged, we just sat their enjoying tea, cake and the usual excellent hospitality - will be back soon.

Date of visit: October 2013

Reviewed October 21, 2013

A friend recommended Meringue as an excellent place to eat Saturday lunch. She and her partner had enjoyed beautiful food described by her only 7 days earlier as: Steak and Ale pie with any type of pastry you wish,( as it is a bakery,) served with potatoes and at least 3 fresh veg. She also said that her partner had a crisp meringue for dessert.
So I was disappointed on arrival to see that there was only 1 pie on offer, turkey and ham (delicious) but no choice of pastry and it was served with salad!!! A hot pie with salad? No, that does not work.
To be fair they offered me roast potatoes and sugar snap peas but we had to wait an awfully long time for the food.
We were also told we could not buy a meringue for dessert. Why such differences in only 1 week?

Date of visit: October 2013
2  Thank borrowedtheboots
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Firstly, let me say I am an avid fan of Meringue having visited many times for lunch and I will continue to enjoy those visits. Breakfast however was not quite so good. I like my food well cooked, my husband doesn't. Unfortunately, although we explained this on ordering, my husband's breakfast was overcooked so wasn't enjoyable for him. The toast we both had were croutons with the smallest portion of butter for us both that I have ever seen. There wasn't much variation on the plate either. I think fried bread or hash browns should be included. The saving grace was I was able to take away a portion of their fantastic meringue. Would I recommend you lunch here? Yes. Breakfast - not so much!

1  Thank judeloc
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Persuaded by my son to go here for birthday brunch. The service was excellent and speedy even though the place was very busy. The bacon, brie and cranberry on ciabbata was delicious and the tea/coffee excellent. The staff were extremely polite and efficient.
I now wait for the incredibly rude couple at the checkout to post their comments, at which time I maybe forced to add to my review. Absolutely no need to treat the staff in such an arrogant and condescending manner.

Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Thought we would give this place a try, it was Saturday morning at 10.30 it was very busy always a good sign tried to sit at two clean tables which had been reserved for lunch at this time in the morning? After sitting at a dirty table for over 5 minutes we had to ask for it to be cleared and then ask if someone would take our order. The great food made up for the poor service, all the food was home made which is was of the highest standard.
The food was a little pricey but you don't mind paying as it was so nice. Overall slow service but great food.