“Meringue is so sweet”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I visited Meringue the other week with my mum, for a coffee and a peace of cake, we always like to visit the new coffee shops and cafe's local to us, and recently haven't found them to reach the mark. However we found Meringue to be such a lovely place, through and through.
They say home made, and then mean home made. You can smell the bread when you walk through the door, and all the cakes are baked in store. I find this so encouraging in a town where its difficult to find real homemade goods, and local produce. My mum took away with her a a few pie's and found them to be delicious.
On top of that, its a family business, which once again warms my heart. The waitress, Rosie, is such a lovely girl, always serves with a smile, and does her best to make your visit worth while.
I ate Lemon Meringue Pie, which I like to be really lemony, and it was, it was delicious and a good portion size! My mum had a ham sandwich, she said the bread was superb and the ham good quality.
The only down sides, were the coffee, which could be a little stronger, and the fact we had to wait a little while (maybe could do with some extra staff at weekends?) But over all, it it was very pleasant, and I will go there again.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Since this local bakery opened a few months ago, we have occasionally bought fresh bread from here, which is delicious. This morning, I tried the café with two friends & I'm glad we had booked a table - word is obviously getting around about the excellent range of home made food, from cooked breakfasts to tea cakes & quiches, cakes & puddings. I tried the signature lemon meringue pie - which was about 7" tall! Highly recommended - tart lemony filling & soft sweet meringue. My friends had the prune/frangipane & Bakewell tarts - both fabulous. We were made to feel welcome by the friendly staff and as we left, our table was immediately taken by waiting customers. It's good to see a local business thriving. We'll be back again soon!

Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

This was my second visit - on my first visit i gave up waiting & left. My second visit was as bad as the first....made to wait (not even acknowledged) and a further lengthly wait to be served.

The food i purchased was average and extremely extremely over priced based on the quality.

I gave them a second chance, i wont be giving a third chance to serve & price appropriately.

2  Thank YorkshireMom
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Having tried the various other Chatsworth Road cafes over the last year (a once a week visit) - Meringue is my absolute favourite. As you enter you can smell the fresh bread cooking and indeed can even view the ovens and the cooked bread cooling. You can walk in an just buy a variety of cakes, breads, quiches, foccicia etc to take away. You can also take away all of their menu I think. I have visited four or five times, once I had a bacon sandwich which was cooked to perfection as I had asked it to be cooked (bit fussy with my no fat and well cooked option). The other times I have had the Lemon Meringue Pie, with cream. This I have eaten mainly at 09:00 for breakfast as its just too delicious not to have. You get a really large portion and its warm and I have it with cream - I think you can have ice cream - but I am not one to have ice cream for breakfast! For people with children - they have provided a small table with toys and crayons etc. I must admit although I keep thinking about taking my little girl here, I like it with no distractions so I an enjoy every mouthful of my pie...

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I popped in to buy a fresh family home made steak and ale pie and treacle tart. Neither was worth the over priced amount I paid. The pie was just pastry and gravy with only a few chunks of meat. And the treacle tart made our teeth stick together. Meadowfresh pies are full of meat and a lot tastier for less money! I won't be back.

2  Thank amazinggrace55