“lunch experience” 4 of 5 bubbles

Royal Oak
Ranked #123 of 341 Restaurants in Chesterfield
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Description: We are THE Oldest Pub in Chesterfield. Reputedly built in the 12th Century, and formally an Inn for the Knights Templar, the Royal Oak is bursting with character and can be found in the Long Shambles, adjacent to Chesterfield Market and opposite The Body Shop.
Wigan, United Kingdom
“lunch experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

On a visit to Chesterfield yesterday we discovered The Royal Oak down a little narrow alley. very pretty and called for a drink. Good pot of tea and an excellent pint of beer. so welcoming and the food looked good we decided to stay for lunch. Really good food cooked from scratch.lplenty to choose from and very reasonably priced, Just wish we lived nearer.

• Visited May 2014

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“small cosy friendly historic pub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

We ate lunch here on a Sunday and enjoyed the experience - very friendly staff who gave us lots of interesting information about the pub's history and what to see in Chesterfield. Two areas- a lower public bar, where locals were gathered, and an upper snug where we sat to get a table. Unfortunately one of the chefs was absent the day we visited so food was late and there'd been a mishap with the Yorkshires but we had the veggie option, and the nut roast slice was really delicious, and it was worth the wait.We would have liked to have tried the weekday menu, as few places have home cooked veggie options, but unfortunately were only in Chesterfield for the day- we'll just have to return!

• Visited May 2014
, Owner at Royal Oak, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
I am pleased that you enjoyed your meal and sorry that you had to wait. We are always conscious of the wait for fresh food we do always attempt to expedite as quickly as possible. We constantly seek to improve our service and we are aware that the wait time is an important factor in good service.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great food, warm welcome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

I'd never been to Chesterfield before yesterday but, as my sister is living there at the moment and mum was staying, my daughter and I went over for the day from Manchester. Just over an hour on the train and well worth a visit. My sister had eaten at the Royal Oak before and rated it highly so we were looking forward to lunch. My daughter had beer battered fish and chips. She's a fussy eater and usually chooses something simple. Rated this as delicious but couldn't finish it (so my sister helped her out!). All the rest of us chose the sea bream with broccoli, creamed leeks (fabulous!) and creamed potatoes, although I was very tempted by the 'pie of the day' - pork and Stilton. There are always a couple of 'specials' on offer and everything was very good value. I think our meal for four, including halves of beer and a coke, came to much less than £40. Everything was delivered by, what appeared to be, a family member. Clearly a very well run and friendly establishment which I, no doubt, will visit again. Chesterfield itself is also worth a day of anyone's time.

Visited April 2014
, Owner at Royal Oak, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Thank you for your kind review, everyone at The Royal Oak works hard to maintain the standards and your review reassures us that we are heading in the right direction.
Mansfield, United Kingdom
“Excellent all round!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

Me, my mum and my nan took a day trip to chesterfield as it was somewhere we had never been before and fancied a change of scenery. We had no idea where to eat until we stumbled across this pub. We were warmly welcomed the minute we walked through the doors and the staff were really friendly. The food was amazing!! It came out so well presented and so tasty! My nan had the fish and chips as it is her favourite and she said she had never tasted fish as good! The chips were homemade which you don't get very often and were amazing. Everything is freshly made and you can really tell. Somewhere we would definitely visit again without a doubt.

• Visited April 2014
, Owner at Royal Oak, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Thank you for your kind words, its a fne team effort and I am very proud of all our staff.
Hampshire
“Wonderful value for money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

Like the reviewer below went purely on the advice of tripadvisor and was not disappointed.
We were warmly welcomed and all the food was obviously freshly cooked and so cheap!! Well for us southerners anyway!
My daughter had a very good sirloin steak that came with giant onion rings - batter was exceptional as it was on my scampi and my husbands battered cod.
Next time we stop on the way back down from Leeds Uni I will definately explore the menu further.

• Visited March 2014
, Owner at Royal Oak, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Thanks a lot we look forward to you returning.