“Average”

Donkey Derby
Ranked #89 of 345 Restaurants in Chesterfield
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Me, my partner and my little boy came here by chance. We were meant to be visiting another pub in the area but unfortunately it was full.
We use to come here a lot wen it was donkey derby, however since changing name, we haven't been in a long time as I heard bad reviews.
We thought we give it a go considering our first option failed.
The pub in itself was ok. It was quite busy as football was on but that didn't affect the eating side if the pub. We found an area to seat and the waitress's came over & cleaned our table. We had a quick look at the menu & decided what we wanted. We had a mixed starter as some of the foods on there, our little boy could eat & a main for the each of us. My partner ordered fish n chips n I had surf n turf. I went to the bar to order. I also ordered glass of coke and lime n lemonade. The waitress told me the price which I was in complete shock as it came to over £30, which I personally think, is a lot of money!
I have to admit, the food wasn't great considering the amount we just paid. The starter n my steak came on this sizzling hot plate which was nice as it kept the food hot but why they put friend onions on there, I didn't quite understand. My meal in itself was quite dry & could have done with sum sort of sauce. My partner didn't particularly enjoy his meal either. It didn't look fresh. The fish itself looked like something you get from the frozen section of a supermarket.
Overall I wasn't happy with the food especially at that price but it filled a void in our tummys considering it was last minute.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Not impressed.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Most meals come on a mini hot plate which is very hot.Can easily burn yourself.We had to wait ages for our meals despite only five other people being in.Not bad prices and food OK but we found that the service to be very poor.Every other word spoken by staff was "Guys".So annoying after the first few minutes.I decided to count the number o times it was said and stopped counting at 42.Would not go again.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank vauxhall2
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Donkey Derby, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear vauxhall2

Many thanks for your recent review on Trip Advisor. Your comments were a concern to hear and I would like to investigate these further with the Management Team of the pub. I have sent you a private message and look forward to hear from you soon.

Many Thanks

Flaming Grill
Chesterfield
“Works Christmas meal, excellent service and Value for money !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

It was back in december, but we took 15 staff for a christmas meal, £10.99 a head for a 3 course meal, I have to say what we got for the money was fantastic, you half expect for that price to get small portions, but for example the steak option was a full rump steak meal cooked to perfection that I had on a previous visit and cost me more than £10 itself.
The starters were sufficient and the desserts were massive !
There was a choice of 4 starters, mains and desserts so you were not stuck with a couple of choices.
The service was friendly, all the food came out at the same time and they were constantly on hand to ask if we required any more drinks etc.
We would not hesitate to return again for next years christmas meal, some said it was the best yet !
Please Note: This is not michellin standard food so don't expect it, its just chain pub grub but decent quality for a good price, a very good price in this instance !

• Visited December 2012
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Flaming Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

It's good value and good food. Let's be honest....it's not exceptional but you don't pay exceptional prices so what do you expect. My motto, expect what you pay for :0

Spacious for a pub with lots of Tables, not squished together so that's a thumbs up straight away. Most mains come with a sizzle, I like a good sizzle. Smoking hotplates filling the air and grabbing the attention of on-looking table dwellers as the food is served. Great.

For the children there is a play area which is fenced off but due to the location being near two busy roads, you will need to keep your eye on them. The play equipment is nothing to get too excited about but will keep young ones up to 7 or eight entertained for 20 minutes or so, a nice little breather as you stand about with a beverage.

Food - Steaks, surf and turf, monster burgers, the usual and a option to upsize more or less everything. It's all decent grub and like I said, you won't be paying an arm and a leg for it.

Will be going again.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank GaryCoughlan
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Used to go often whe it was actually donkey derby but now its changed into flaming grill i didnt enjoy it at all. No variety and wouldnt go again

Visited June 2012