“It's getting there”

The Old Pump
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We've had 2 visits for dinner and its not bad. We ate early and he place was very quiet which is a shame, it really is a warm and friendly place. I think they've been a little over ambitious with the menu and heir specials, if anything they offer too much; less is more, better to have 3 superb than many average dishes. Having said that we shall return.

There are newer reviews for The Old Pump

Reviewed December 6, 2013

Excellent food and service. The staff were really friendly and the the place had a great atmosphere. They had a very good selection of real ales that included local favorites and some guest ales.

Reviewed November 22, 2013

A friend and I stopped here whilst on a walk on the Monday. Mondays always tend to be quiet, but this was quieter than most because the road outside was closed. WE had an excellent main course for £5.

The following day I returned with two ladies and we had the full 3 courses for £7. How they do it for the price is amazing. The helpings weren't small, so what the full price versions of the same dishes would be like beggars belief!

This should be a 4 and a half star report. The fact I returned two days running must be an indication of value. However, one small amusing item - fortunately the lady was on a diet. The size of the fish in her fish and chips was tiny. A tiddler! An escapee from a fish pie, perhaps. The sprat that caught the mackerel? My pie of the day was..... substantial, so bang went my dietl!

Reviewed November 15, 2013

Worst service I have ever had anywhere. We booked a table for 6 to eat at 08:00 the first comments we got was that they were running late and wouldn't be taking our order for another 40 minutes. When I complained I was told that there was nothing they could do as the manager wasn't available,
No apologies, no offer of a free drink to tide us over, in fact nothing.
When they eventually took our order they had run out of Sirloin steak, I ask you running out of a basic food, a special you could understand .......

The food was average at best, we got 4 of our 5 starters at the same time, but had to ask for the 5th.

Don't go, its not worth it £200 pound wasted , NEVER AGAIN.

I am only giving it one star because trip advisor doesn't allow a zero.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

We went to the old pump last night. The weather was awful but on arriving at the pub things changed to the opposite. We were greeeted by a very pleasant waitress, Katie and were seated at our table to decide on what we wanted to eat. Our drinks were excellent , As a real ale fanatic I was served an excelelnt pint of Hobgoblin. We made our choice , my wife had the duck and after some help from the waitress I decided on the pie of the day. I have issues with how pies are served in some local pubs but this was a proper slice of pie served straight onto the plate with good home made chips and mushy peas. No fancy dishes on the plate just proper food.We had an excellent meal meal which warmed us up on a grotty night. Thank you the Old Pump.