“Awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Market Pub

The Market Pub
Ranked #5 of 345 Restaurants in Chesterfield
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Brunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: The best pub in Derbyshire
Retford, United Kingdom
“Awesome”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We are regular Sunday lunch diners and fancied a change from our usual restaurants, so we checked on here and decided to give the market pub a chance and boy we were on for a treat.
A proper warm pub with a fabulous food menu which left us spoilt for choice, really generous portion sizes and a fab selection of beers too, all a great recipe for a wonderful lunch in my fab home town.
We will most definitely be visiting again.

• Visited November 2013

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Way too variable”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

The first time we ate here the food was very good although the service was a bit hectic with the food taking a while to come and wrong items delivered to the wrong tables. The problem is that it's trying to be a a pub and a restaurant as either it would be busy but as both it can be madness at times.

We went the next day on the Sunday for lunch and this time the food was even better and the service was spot on but it was much quieter. The burgers here are really good if not massive!

We then went the next Saturday night and it was a disaster. It was way too busy as ultimately its a pub they either need to stop serving food on a Friday or Saturday night or keep drinker away from the dining area.

Anyway back to the experience we waited nearly an hour and a half for our food to arrive despite reassurances that it would be coming soon after complaining. When it arrived it was poor, some of it was cold, some of it unfinished and some of it clearly rushed which after waiting that long was a massive disappointment.

Another problem is that you pay as you order so there was no knocking items off the bill as they have you over a barrel something which they probably know in the kitchen.

The only reason it hasn't received 1 or 2 is because I have had very good food and service there in the past but it really needs to sort it out especially at weekend evenings.

• Visited October 2013
Douglas D, Owner at The Market Pub, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We are a pub (just to clear that up). Our food is homemade (everything). Our prices are very low for fresh, homemade food, check our competitors - fresh food. We are sorry that you are unhappy. To have fresh sea bass at £11.50 is what we do. We want our customers to be able to eat good food at knock down prices in a pub inviroment and enjoy the atmosphere and have fun with their guests. We are NOT a restaurant. We will never be a restaurant. We are The Market Pub and are proud. We will continue to offer great homemade food for great prices for everyone to enjoy. If you want a restaurant experience at its best go to Sat Bains in Nottingham (£200 lunch for 2) and you will not be disappointed. We take care to make sure that all of our guests have a good experience at our pub but let's get real - you pay £8-10 pounds for a main! We are not a gastro pub (no where is - really) informal good food - and we are very
busy which say's it all! Fine dining NO - GOOD FOOD - YES
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Great food, drink and atmosphere”
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

We visited the Market for lunch after seeing it nominated in the Chesterfield food awards and we were not disappointed. It has a great choice of traditional pub grub and the not so traditional, all freshly made and reasonably priced. I had the fish board which was outstanding. Would recommend it to anyone.

derbyshire
“great food!good service?”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

as i live in chesterfield i visit the market often,the food is great its allways well presented and very taisty.i would reccomend a visit proberbly the best place to eat in town!the staff are very friendly and the pub is very welcoming,my only complaint is the service in my opinion they need waiting on staff who clear off meals ask about dessert/coffee!also lovley plates etc but really naff cutlery!the food does'nt match the service style.i do love the pub it just needs a little change in my opinion and then would be perfcet!

• Visited October 2013
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Expensive”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

This is a lovely pub that I do like to visit - however I do find it very expensive (drinks). They do not accept card which I find odd for a pub that serves food! The last few times I have eaten here I have been disappointed. I few months ago I had the gammon and egg - which I couldn't finish as the gammon was just so salty! On my last visit I had the battered cod and chips and found that the fish had been battered with the skin still on. I'm not sure if that would be an issue for some people....but I certainly didn't fancy eating the skin and so spent the whole time trying to pick it out of the batter. I don't think I would recommend eating here.

Visited September 2013