“Mixed bag”
Review of Cocina Restaurant

Cocina Restaurant
Ranked #30 of 346 Restaurants in Chesterfield
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish, European, Contemporary
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Mixed bag”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We had Sunday lunch for four. The service was very relaxed, warm and firendly. One had beef, three had pork. The beef was acceaptable. The pork looked fine, but was overcooked and dry. At first, using great British restraint, we grunted a kind of approval when asked was everything all right. However it was like eating sawdust and two of us sent back half of the meal uneaten. We were offered a complimentary dessert for two, but this was somewhat grudgingly (Quote: If you told me before I could have replaced it). Being with friends whom we'd invited from out of town, we did not want to create a fuss, and so tolerated the poor meat and the less than perfect response. Look to your laurels, Casa. We live very close to the hotel, but would find it difficult to recommend you to friends or neighbours if today's performance is indicative of business as usual.

• Visited March 2013
DownhamStuart, Operations Director at Cocina Restaurant, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear chesterfieldgreen,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your meal here in Cocina restaurant. I am sorry that you had mixed feelings during your visit. In line with our normal service we conducted two check-backs during your starters and mains, you commented on how good the starters were. When asked during your mains, Keeo was told that everything was fine. Had you raised your concerns about the pork being dry, we would have immediately offered to replace all four dishes in a matter of minutes. It is extremely difficult to correct such a problem after the event and I regret that we did not have the opportunity to do so. One of your party did come and speak to Charlotte at the bar to inform her that the pork was dry. Although the meal had virtually been eaten at this stage we offered a replacement. This was declined and Charlotte was given the option to either take the meal off the bill or give you complimentary desserts. Your party then ordered two desserts which we gave complimentary. At the end of the meal you did comment to the staff how good the service and the food was with the exception of the pork, and left a tip. I do hope this will not dissuade you from returning to Cocina.

Stuart

Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
“disappointed”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I only live a few moments away from Casa but have never been and only heard very good reviews. As mothers day was approaching I decided to book for myself and large family.
Most of us was disappointed with the food and did not feel looked after on this day. The service was not terrible but I have experienced better for a lot less money. We was all looking forward to the meal and heard the food was fantastic but as everyone had tried different courses off the menu we was not impressed. I don't want to put people off but please do not get excited about the experience as you may feel let down. My chicken had blood spots and was dry and I expect a lot more for the money we paid. Also I was told my booking was for 4.30 and when we arrived I was told we was booked for 4? The high chair was dirty was took over 5 mins to clean and bring back. We was over charged on the bill which I pointed out. I doubt I will recommend sad really as I heard they was the best, must of been having a bad day

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank Anthony J
Dear Anthony J,

Thank you for your feedback. I apologise that you felt disappointed following your visit. A number of check backs were conducted throughout your meal. Unfortunately, at no time was anything raised, and we therefore had no opportunity to resolve any issues. Please accept my apologies for the overcharge of £2 each for the two children’s starters – the Mothers day menu was an inclusive charge for 3 courses and we inadvertently had posted two childrens starters separately – I understand that the £4 was removed at the time. I do hope that this will not dissuade you from visiting Cocina in the future.

Stuart
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Fabulous Mother's day meal.”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I live in Chesterfield and today is the first time I have been to Casa. I decided to take my Mum for their Mother's day set meal and spend some lovely Mother Daughter time together.
We didn't eat in the restaurant because by the time I booked it was full, but we were in the Barcelona suite. We were greeted at reception by a friendly member of staff and pointed in the right direction. As we got to the Barcelona suite we were promptly shown to our immaculate table. The atmosphere was friendly and lively and there was a live pianist playing throughout the meal. The main table in the middle of the room was decorated beautifully with huge candelabras and it looked gorgeous. The food was absolutely delicious and the price of the Mother's day meal was very reasonable. What really made the afternoon though was the friendly and attentive staff. In this day and age I honestly believe that the art of quality service is seriously lacking, but the Casa hotel thoroughly restored my faith. The staff were just fantastic and so friendly. Our every need was taken care of and not once did we have to pour our own wine. I think these little things really make a huge difference.
After our fabulous three course meal my Mum and I decided to go down to the Barca bar and treat ourselves to another bottle of wine. The staff in the bar were just as friendly and chatty, especially Chris who went out of his way to make us feel comfortable.

The décor is clean, modern and stylish. The atmosphere is friendly and relaxed. The food is delicious and local, which I think is important. The staff are fabulous and deserve a special mention. We will definitely be going back to the restaurant and the bar, and perhaps a night's stay with my other half is in order. We had a really lovely Mother's day. Thank you Casa and your wonderful staff.

LucieKrajankova, Restaurant Manager at Cocina Restaurant, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Squeezyweezy,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your meal within the Casa Hotel. I am so thrilled to hear that we were able to make your Mother’s Day as relaxed as possible, Cocina did fill up incredibly fast but the Barcelona suite looked great. Here at Casa we are extremely fortunate to have such a fantastic team of staff, they will be so happy to read your comments about them. As you mentioned, our food is locally sourced and organic which we believe taste so delicious.

We look forward to seeing you again soon, hopefully staying for a night in one of our beautiful rooms.

Lucie.
chesterfield
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Despite living 5 minutes from Casa I've never dined in the restaurant until this weekend and now I wish I hadn't left it so long. I dined with a friend and we both enjoy good food and love cocktails so we were delighted that both were top notch. The restaurant was full and there was a really good atmosphere without it being too loud. The decor was very tasteful and I liked how there was a little bar upstairs to enjoy a pre or after dinner drink. I would have no hesitation recommending Cocina for a meal and on Barca bar for drinks.

Dear Lors68,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your meal here in Cocina Restaurant. It is always great to hear when our guests first visit is ‘top notch’. We really appreciate all the great things you have said about the restaurant and bar and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Lucie
buxton
“Perfection!”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I took my boyfriend for his birthday to the hotel and restaurant. Everything going about our visit was exceptional, the staff were impeccable and the food was by far the best I've eaten in a long time. It was also very good value for money for a treat. I can't wait to go again.

Dear Knightg,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your meal here in Cocina, I am so pleased to read that your experience here was ‘exceptional’. We are very fortunate to have a great team and have access to such great organic produce.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future and please join our Facebook/Twitter pages to keep up to date with all our great menus.

Lucie