“Wonderful service”
Review of Methuen Arms Hotel

Methuen Arms Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Corsham
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We called in at The Methuen simply for tea and coffee after a walk round the shops in Corsham. Rarely have we been so impressed with the friendly greeting and great service show by all the staff we encountered. Had a peek around the ground floor and it's a collection of nice intimate dining areas. Top marks to The Methuen. I did email same comments to the hotel and received a very nice reply.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

A third visit to this lovely pub. No point repeating all the previous positive comments and praise, suffice to say this place was great, as ever, and the food was the best we've had there yet - absolutely delicious. Brilliant service too. Will continue to use it as a base to visit the Bath area and to recommend it to friends and family.

Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We've recently moved back to the UK having spent several years living in the Channel Islands where quality eating establishments are ten a penny (eating out being the main activity of a weekend!) including excellent seafood. We've since eaten at a few place in the Wiltshire area and been quite disappointed. So it was great to find the Methuen arms which we booked as a treat to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. I had a starter of squash soup which was lovely, and my husband had prawns on 2 slices of toasted sourdough. My husband had fillet of beef for main which was beautiful (I'd say it was on the very rarest of the medium rare side but we both like that so it was fine) and I had lemon sole which was really tasty and a very good portion size. We stayed over and the room was lovely, the bed supremely comfortable and the bathroom fantastic. It is a little pricey but I think that's just what you have to pay for good food these days, certainly we've paid not too far off for a very average meal in the past and the service was great, lovely welcoming staff, the building is beautiful, hassle free parking etc etc etc. We will be back!

Room Tip: Room 2 was lovely, four poster bed and roll top bath, but does get traffic noise if you're bothe...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Guernsey32
Reviewed February 14, 2014

We visited the Methuen Arms for lunch a few days ago, having just visited Lacock Abbey nearby. We really enjoyed our lunch. We chose 3 courses from a 2 or 3 course seasonal menu, and there were also chunky sandwiches available. The food was absolutely excellent (if a little carbohydrate light) and good value. The service was excellent, couldn't fault it. It was good to see the place busy on a Tuesday lunchtime - well over half the tables were occupied. Shame about recent poor reviews on this site - we saw no evidence of poor service. Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 1, 2014

I visited The Methuen Arms with a friend intending to eat dinner. We went through to the very small bar at the front of the hotel first which looked like a building site I imagine they are having a refurbishment of this bar but it doesn't look very attractive. All of the candles had burnt out.

I went to the bar to order my drink and was served by a young boy (there was a boy and a girl on the bar). I ordered a Rose and an amaretto and coke. The boy was so busy chatting to an older gentleman that I assume worked there or was at least a regular that he poured the wrong spirit. The Girl noticed and told the boy but no apology was made. in the end my friend received a Rum and coke not the amaretto we ordered.

The bar staff continued to talk to this gentleman for the remainder of the evening so we decided to drink up and leave.

The Methuen Arms is expensive and the service is poor

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank emma c
DebbieStill, Owner at Methuen Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Dear Emma

Thankyou for taking the time to write a review, obviously I am extremely disappointed to learn of your experience and please accept my apologies. All the staff know how important customer service is and at The Methuen we pride ourselves on being friendly but professional at all times, there is no excuse for such attitude.

I have sent you a private email to you to ask for more detail, once I have this information I can assure you I will investigate in more detail and speak to the members of staff involved.

Once again apologies for your experience and hopefully you will come back and give us another try.

Kind Regards

Debbie Still

Reviewed January 24, 2014

Passing through Corsham on business my wife and I needed a quick lunch. By sheer chance stopped at the Methuen. We were pleasantly surprised. Good service, good food at a good price ..and a warm welcome. One needs nothing more.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We have stayed at The Methuen on a couple of occasions and absolutley love it , This time We returned with a party of 6 friends traveling up from Bournemouth for New Year's Eve Dinner and booked to stay the night. The Chef's Menu was amazing and the Beef Wellington with celeriac fondant marlborough mushrooms and creamed spinich ...was amazing ! Debbie, Martin and there staff were brilliant very friendly and very profesional and nothing was too much trouble and all done with a smile. The bedrooms were comfortable & tastfully decorated with luxery toitetries and homemade biscuits with great coffee !!! Breakfast didn't disappoint and we were spoilt for choice from home made granola , fresh fruit salad ,home made muffins pastries and more ...plus a full english and great coffee! (much needed after seeing the New Year in ) We didnt want to leave but will be definatley returning to this Gem in Corsham.

Room Tip: I had a look at some of the rooms the layouts are all different which adds to the charm of this Hote...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
DebbieStill, Owner at Methuen Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Dear Angie,

Thankyou for taking the time to write a review. It was great to see you all again and I am really pleased you enjoyed our New Year celebrations. I have passed on your comments about the food to chef and his team and I know they will also be delighted.

It was a good night and all the guests had fun - now we will start planning 2014!!! Hope that your journey home this year was less eventful than last time and we look forward to celebrating with you next New Year!.

Very Best Wishes

Debbie

Also consider these accommodations in or near Corsham
1 mi away
The Conigre
The Conigre
#3 of 5 in Melksham
Bowood Hotel, Spa and Golf Resort

Been to Methuen Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!