“Poor value for money” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Corsham
Godalming, United Kingdom
“Poor value for money”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

Visiting the area for a wedding, we paid £185 for our room, but found a room that should have been priced in the £90 - £110 range

The service was friendly, but two fairly big complaints:

1. we arrived at 3:30pm (on a 2pm guaranteed check-in) and the room was not ready for us. That was very inconvenient given that we were dashing between wedding and reception.

2. Running water was sporadic the next day, and staff confirmed it was part of a long term problem

The room, and bathroom in particular, had been done up very nicely, but in a modern style with no period features. In particular the bed was huge and very comfortable, but it didn't change the fact that the room was small (the bed was over 50% of floor space) and faced a road with noisy traffic. The doorway into the bathroom is about 5'11" high. I am 6'1" and received a very sore head for my night-time bathroom visit, an unwelcome addition to my hangover!

Breakfast had its highs and lows, my fried eggs were cooked until the yokes were grey and powdery, again not conducive to hangover therapy, but the apple muffins were quite delicious.

This is a nice hotel but not exceptional. Features, views and location are OK but not special. A lot has been invested in a modern decor which is light and comfortable, and there is a friendly attitude from the staff. I probably would have given them 3 or 4 stars if we had paid £100 for this room, but at the price we paid I would not consider staying there again.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Ben E
DebbieStill, Owner at Methuen Arms Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thankyou for taking the time to review The Methuen Arms, I have investigated the complaints regards your recent stay. I see that you reviewed as a couple but infact you came as a family, two adults, two children.

Firstly I would like to apologise for the 20 minute delay on arrival, we strive to turn the rooms around quickly but the previous guest had requested a late check out and the housekeeper's did their utmost to have the room ready. I understand this was an inconvenience and I do apologise.

With regards to the sporadic water, we were notified about the issue on Friday and investigation found that it was a faulty valve which could not be replaced until Monday, it has now been rectified. We have, at great expense when renovating, re-plumbed the whole hotel and added a new water pressure booster pump so as to ensure all rooms had excellent water pressure, this is vital for guests, I can assure you that this was an isolated incident. On departure you did mention this to my manager and told her that it was not a complaint but merely an observation.

Being a Grade II listed Georgian Inn we were very limited to the structural changes that could be made, and part of the charm for many guests is the quirkiness of the building, a low door line is character to one man and an issue for another.

I have noted both your negative and positive comments regarding breakfast and have spoken to the kitchen. There is no excuse for over cooked eggs and front of house not noticing.

Finally, the room in which you stayed was a double room, I understand that you were offered the family room for yourself and two children but declined preferring to book a cheaper double with an additional full size single camp bed for your children.

I note that you think the room is of poor value for money, but I think you would find it very difficult to find quality accommodation for two adults and two children including breakfast in a room that had a 6ft four poster bed, a full size single put up bed, flat screen TV, Roberts Digital Radio, luxury Egyptian cotton linen, separate rain forest shower and roll top bath, tea and cafeteria coffee making facilities with homemade biscuits for £90 - £110 as you suggest on a Saturday night.

I can assure you we have invested heavily in the services of the hotel and I am sorry on this occasion you were unhappy with your choice of stay. Feedback on check out would have been much more constructive.

Regards Debbie Still

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

We took advantage of their Sunday night offer to spend a minimum of £75 in the restaurant and get a room for £50 (although we upgraded to a better room for slightly more). This was excellent value.

The room was a great size, with a very large 4 poster bed and freestanding bath in the bedroom. The bathroom was also very large, newly reburbished and very clean. Whilst we were perfectly happy with the room, it didn't have the wow factor I had hoped for. We were concerned on arrival that we might be disturbed by road noise, but this wasn't an issue.

Dinner was nice. We were a little worried that being a Sunday night, the restaurant might be empty and it might not be enjoyable to eat alone. Whilst it was fairly quite, this wasn't a problem and the restaurant still managed to feel cosy. The menu was very apealing, the food wasn't amazing, but was perfectly OK. The portions were a good size, large enough that we couldn't managed dessert. The service over dinner was very good.

After dinner we moved into the front bar to get a comfey chair. This area was very nice and even cosier than the restaurant.

Breakfast was simple but good, with a small selection of pastries and cereals, plus a cooked breakast.

It was an enjoyable and excellent value stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

We were here for three nights in April, part of which was a dinner for 35 people in a private dining room. The hotel is quirky and welcoming thanks to his original age and sympathetic modern adaptions. Public bar area is small but busy with locals from about 3pm onwards which gives the place a lively buzz whilst still retaining its relaxing overall impression.

The bedrooms are extremely well appointed for the price with great beds, mattresses and linens, and a flexible layout in many rooms

Room Tip: Definitely Room3!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

Stayed at this lovely Georgian hotel on their great value Sunday Steal offer as a last break before our twins are delivered next month.
The staff were exceptionally friendly getting extra cushions and pillows for my growing bump. Our room (number 1) was lovely - particularly enjoyed having the DAB radio with room for headphones so I could listen to the radio whilst my husband slept. The bathroom was huge with a separate shower and bath and lovely products to use. Home made biscuits left in the room were very welcome.
Both our dinner and breakfast were delicious - I particularly recommend the rhubarb pudding and the home made granola. Staff were knowledgeable about what I should and shouldn't eat on the menu due to my pregnancy.
The bar was really cosy and obviously very popular with locals.
The next morning we went for a lovey walk around Corsham using the guided walk guide left in our room.
I'd thoroughly recommend this hotel - also very near to Westonbirt Arboreteum.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

Recently stayed here with numerous friends and family as we were celebrating my birthday. The whole building is very nicely done up. No clutter or cheesey wall decorations which makes for a very peaceful and elegant atmosphere.

Excellent food - both in the restaurant/bar and in the private room we had catered by the Inn. On the night of the party the team were incredibly efficient bringing each person their pre-chosen dishes even though we did not have a seating plan. They also were very relaxed and kept the drinks service going for as long as we wanted.

The hotel is family owned and I was told they are usually full during the week serving business customers. They are passionate about their enterprise here and it shows in all the unfussy details. There was a real buzz on Friday night as the bar filled up with locals.

Room Tip: Room 3 has a roll top bath IN the room (as well as an excellent shower in the ensuite). All of the...
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

I had not even been to Corsham, and my friend recommended staying at the Methuen Arms hotel for her long bday weekend. I arrived sight unseen and loved it. Adorable, newly remodeled, clean rooms, extreamly kind, attentive and helpful staff. Loved the cookies they leave in the room each night! Food in the restaurant was delishious and love that breakfast is included in the room rate (made to order or continental - or both!). The birthday party was hosted in one of the large event rooms & again the food, wine choices and staff were great. They accomodated our large party, adjusted to our needs and really made the experience there great. I'd definitely return if I'm ever back in the area.

Lincolnshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic friendly reception. They cannot do enough for you. Room 2 was excellent so fresh and clean. The restaurant delightful menu and good choices of fresh local produce extremely well cooked and very tasty. Breakfast was just as special as the evening meal. High street of Corsham is well worth a walk. Can't recommend them highly enough.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corsham
Guyers House Hotel
Lucknam Park
#1 of 1 in Colerne
Premier Inn Chippenham Hotel
The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club

Been to Methuen Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!