“Exactly what we wanted” 5 of 5 bubbles

Methuen Arms Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Corsham
“Exactly what we wanted”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2011

Booked this place just 24 hours before arriving - a last minute getaway. We were offered a small but appreceiated discount on the room rate due to booking so late. A very pleasant surprise indeed when we arrived! Lots of parking. Idyllic village setting; beautiful old building with lots of period features and colours; tasteful, comfortable, newly rennovated rooms - lovely bed linen; smart, bathrooms - lovely towels and toiletries - all in all, very happy with our lovely room and all the luxurious little details that came with it. The staff were fantastic - all friendly, cheerful, helpful, and clearly working very very hard to really make this place stand out. The food in the restaurant was lovely and really quite different - definitely not pub grub but not overly fancy either. Interesting menu, with plenty of flavour, fresh ingredients and interesting combinations - and nice sized portions too - enough, but not so much as to be off putting! Good wine list. The atmosphere in the bar pre dinner was great - enjoyed a few drinks is easy chairs looking out at the lovely village view outside. There's also a lovely outdoor garden area for when it's a bit warmer. Left having had a good breakfast (included in the rate). A quintessential English village pub with the bonus of great food and a little luxury. It will not disappoint. We hope to find an excuse to go back.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cordiners

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2011

We decided to go away for the August Bank holiday (Sunday night) at the last minute. Found this on Laterooms.com. I phoned the Methuen Arms before I booked the room to confirm that they have rooms available, I was told that there is one room available at £140 b&b for Sunday night, I did not give my name nor did I book the room direct. On terminating the call, I immediately booked the room on Laterooms for £100, got a phone call 30 minutes later from Feliks the Manager and was told they have problems with Laterooms and that the Inn was fully booked, but they could offer me an alternative b&b further down the road on a farm for £75 per night. I explained that I phoned earlier and got confirmation that there was still a room available, he suddenly changed his tune and told me due to my earlier phone call my name was double booked for two rooms (how could it be as I did not give my name in the first place). I got the idea that they wanted to sell the room at £140 to someone else and did not want to give it to a Laterooms booking, in the end I got the room.

Arrived there late Sunday afternoon, the room is spacious and bathroom lovely, was taken to our room by Feliks the Manager and was told if we need anything we just need to phone reception. We wanted to surf the internet and when we tried to phone reception for the password we discovered that the room did not have a phone, there was NO information leaflet in the room to inform us when check-out was, from what time we could have breakfast or even in the event of a fire, which would be the quickest escape route. Decided to have a bath, just to discover pubic hairs from the previous guests in the bath, on closer inspection it was obvious that the bath was not cleaned at all, got the evidence when I cleaned it myself with a white facecloth, which ended up being a caramel brown once done. This is a lovely place, but it miss that small touches, such as a mattress protector over the bed, a waste bin in the room, milk with the coffee and tea facilities (the other half had to run down yet again to reception), a telephone in the room, information leaflets, a toilet brush in the bathroom etc. This is definitely not a five star establishment yet and if we had to pay the full price of £140 we would have been pretty upset. We told Feliks, the Manager, all this and his response was that they welcome feedback like this and that they are still in the beginning stages of establishing the Inn, well then don't advertise the Inn as a five star b&b and charge £140 a night, maybe you should lower the prices a bit, until you have everything in place.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Milady2812
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

Felix and his team were nothing short of outstanding during the weekend. Our room that we booked for what we thought would be three nights, turned out to be for two, completely the mistake of 'laterooms'. After realising this, the hotel ensured we were very well looked after. Felix went out of his way to make sure we felt welcome and comfortable in both hotels. We were given a room upgrade, complimentary wine, dinner and champagne! Amazing, even though it was not the hotel's fault, they more than made up for laterooms mistake.

So we only spent the Friday and Sunday at the hotel but what a fabulous two nights. Felix was so very helpful and found us accomodation for the Saturday night in the next village. This worked perfectly as we spent the day in Bath and we returned late to the other hotel. A nice place but not half as good as the Arms.

The next morning we returned to Methuen for another tasty breakfast of pastries, juices and a selection of cooked food. The omlette, fresh muffins and full english were our favourites. We then spent a glorious lazy Sunday eating and drinking our way through the fantastic menu. Sunday lunch of roast pork and the lamb shoulder was divine!

Beautiful room and comfy big bed, cosy bar to relax in, attentive friendly staff, gorgeous food...a perfect combination for a long weekend. We will definetely be telling our friends and returning soon!

Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2011

Arrived on the Friday evening and the atmosphere was relaxed and welcoming. The bedroom and bathroom were fantastic; stylishly kitted out, much much larger than you’d expect in other boutique hotels and excellent value for money.

We enjoyed a fantastic meal. I had the venison. She had the steak. Both were delicious. We finished off the rosé in the bar which had just the right vibe of other groups, families and couples enjoying the end of the week.

Breakfast was delicious, plenty of pastries and juices followed by freshly cooked full English. Just the ticket on a Saturday morning!

The staff were attentive throughout and I’d definitely go back, whether staying or just to eat.

Corsham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

Thoroughly enjoyed each visit. Superb steak, the best steak I have tasted for ages.

• Stayed August 2011
      Location
      Rooms
Abergavenny, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

One night's stay is not enough at the Methuen Arms Hotel, Corsham. This AA five star-rated hotel is just the right combination of elegent, stylish and relaxed. Our bedroom was fantastic. Beautiful period furniture with modern fixtures, HD TV sunk into the wall facing a huge bed with luxurious feather pillows and duvet, an enormous bathroom with a roll-top bath and stunning shower. The staff were very friendly and approachable. The smart restaurant was busy but our food came in good time and was certainly the best we've eaten in the Cotswolds. I can't recommend this place highly enough.

1 Thank alexrikki
Bath/London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

After hearing such good things about The Methuen Arms and a friend who had recently stayed at The Methuen would not shut up about the quality of food I thought it would be a nice weekend treat for my husband and I.

The new owners who have completely transformed the building, with secret rooms and 2 cosy bars and a vision panel where you can see into the state of the art kitchen, which really is the beating heart of the place. On arrival while my husband checked in, i sneaked into the bar and had a glass of their New Zealand, Malborough, Sauvignon blanc which hit the spot, while my partner was impressed by the range of local ales he couldn't resist a pint of Gem.

Our room was gorgeous. So practical and well designed, with rustic furniture that had been restored and edgy mirrors and lamp shades it was such a classy and stylish room. The Super king size bed was huge and the comfort was as expected perfect! The bathrooms were immaculate and to top it off the owners have just produced their new luxury set of creams for all the rooms which were so good I even purchased some on departure.

We ate in the restaurant that evening and couldn't believe how busy it was for a newly established business. The place was alive and buzzing, the bar full of nice friendly couples and with every table in the house occupied people were waiting for tables. Our expectations were set high as we visited The Pear Tree alot (when the methuen owners used to run it). The service and food throughout the night was impeccable, our starters were phenomenal and my steak was the best i've ever had. Finished with cheesecake and a cappuccino I was in heaven.

A great night sleep, great showers, we came down to fresh and friendly staff who served me eggs and bacon and a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice!

All in all the place is brilliant, every aspect of The Methuen Arms is completed to the highest of standards. Not cheap but you don't realise the quality until you try it. Thanks to all the staff!

Since our stay in June, I've become quite the regular!

Room Tip: Get room 11!