“great little pub , serving good pub food steeped in history”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Cross Keys - CLOSED

The Cross Keys
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“great little pub , serving good pub food steeped in history”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I was at the cross keys the evening of the last review, which is most unfair. i"d had their wonderful fish and chips, served to my liking crisp home made beer batter home made chips and mushy peas ! WOWZA!!!! Popular with us locals although i do travel from box for my usual meal. The couple who say their food was under par must be joking ! May be swing their golf club else where ! I have seen this little pub sparkle yet again, les who runs it does all the cooking and is wonderfull, she would make you toast if so required and dress it up like a million dollars ! she"s one of the most experienced managers i know. the night in question was grandnational day and they were chocca block during the day for food with big table bookings, not one complaint everyone raving about their food. also busy early evening for food, so when that couple came in they should have made the decision to come back another time, when not sold out of their most popular dishes, and as for freinds and family, the reviews are from genuine customers with a taste for good food and great atmosphere, the cross keys had been run down, no custom and all the locals had given up on it, through previous bad management and most unpleasant to sit in, so the result was it closed down ! then came along les and ming in december and through hard work and determination we have a cracking pub which is on the up & up she put her formidiable stamp on it along with all the lads and customers which have helped, done the decor and furnishings etc and their we have a great little pub, selling good beer and food and exceptional sunday lunch. yes is the answer we are all proud of are little pub, coming out of no where and concidering its only been open since the middle of december and didnt start food untill january we all think its topps. warm cosy, good grub. well kept beer . sunday lunch with home made yorkshire puddings, gravy to die for and a sunday night quiz thrown in for good measure ! what more could we ask for in a pub that charles dickens stayed at and wrote part of the pick wick papers. well done . and as for being charged full price for your mash, veg and gravy, i doubt you were charged more than a starter !

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank wessels s

“Cosy but food under par”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Cosy as you came in. Small, intimate with a lovely fire. Sadly it went downhill from there. We asked for one dish but they had "run out". The same went for the following two dishes we tried! My wife ended up asking for veg and mash. My rump tasted like liver and was very chewy. I realised afterwards that we were charged full price for my wife's mash and veg. The gravy was splendid, though.....We went because of the good reviews. Lesson learnt: go to a place with more reviews even if it gets a lower score. The ten reviews I read could have been friends and family!

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank TobyT03
North Petherton, England, United Kingdom
“What a Find !.”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband, my father and I went to the "Cross Keys" for lunch on a cold an miserable Saturday a few weeks ago, and what a wonderful find !. With it's low ceilings, log fires and really welcoming atmosphere, once you are in and settled you simply don't want to leave.

They have one of the most extensive pub menus I have ever seen, with something for all tastes ranging from lighter snacks to full meals, all of which are at very reasonable prices.

Two of us had the "Wiltshire Ham, Eggs & chips", and what a generous portion. It was huge, and the two large 5mm thick slices of home-cooked Wiltshire ham was the best I have ever tasted. It was not salty, as much of the ham served by pubs usually is. The eggs were cooked as I like them - not over done on top but crunchy on the bottom. Chips were home cut from real potatoes, and again cooked to perfection.

The other meal was the "Traditional Fish & Chips", served with "Mushy Peas" (You can order it with garden peas if you prefer). The portion of fresh fish was absolutely gigantic, but it was not the usual thick batter covering a small piece of fish. It was a thin layer of crunchy home-made beer batter, surrounding a really large flaky piece of fresh fish.

There was a selection of Sauce, Mayonnaise, and Tartar Sauce, all in little white china dishes, and not those ghastly little packets where one usually ends up covered in the miserly contents.

Lesley and Ming... People don't know what they are missing... we do, and we will be back !.

• Visited March 2013
6 Thank Claire L
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Gods amongst men”
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Went there last night with my girlfriend and mum and it's the best meal I've had in ages. Be warned that the portions are massive but that good that I'd starve myself for a day just to be able to finish it off. I had a surf and turf and the rump steak was melt in the mouth tender and full of flavour. My mum had fish & chips and the piece of fish was huge, fresh and the batter (which had been made on site) was crisp all the way through. We all agreed that after an excellent meal with brilliant service that we'll be going back again.

8 Thank saintedwill
Corsham, United Kingdom
“Excellant”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

the Cross Keys is under new management and what a good choice of management. i wandered in to a very cosy, homely and welcoming atmosphere so much so i decided to call back for there sunday lunch as all the customers were recommending the food. What can i say...absolutly delicious! Homecooked, piping hot and plenty enough that i couldn't eat it all (thats a first!). I have eaten sunday lunch in corsham before but i must say that this was the best and other establishments really have competition!...well done i shall be back for the famous beef n ale pie :-)

• Visited March 2013