“Loved this place”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Corsham
Hampshire
“Loved this place”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I stayed here last minute for 2 nights on a business trip, and had read the reviews on here and as always, I went with an open mind. I was very pleasantly surprised.

The receptionist was friendly whilst checking in, I was directed to my room in the separate building which was bright, clean, modern and spacious. It was very quiet too which I enjoyed. It had a fab big bathtub as well as a separate shower.

I went up to the main hotel for dinner in the restaurant, I ordered a glass of wine which was lovely, the beetroot starter which was a big plate of thinly sliced beetroot overlapping & covering the plate (more than enough for one, in fact I had it the night after as well it was so good and shared it this time with a friend!) with chunks of goats cheese and walnuts sprinkled over it, delicious. The main meal of grilled fillet of sea bream was delicious, plenty of potatoes and I ordered an extra side of veg, can highly recommend it. All the staff in the restaurant were very polite and friendly.

The second night I had a drink in the bar first, cool quirky bar, would have been nice to have a few more comfy seating areas, rather than stools, as the only comfier area was reserved. Loved the decor in the main house, mixing the modern with the old style building.

Breakfast was also good and offered everything you really needed.

My only negative was that there wasn't any bottles of water available in the rooms, tea & coffee was however provided. Bearing in mind this part wasn't attached to the main house, or near a shop, I had to ask for and pay for a bottle of water after dinner to take back to me. A basic requirement for me.

Lovely setting and grounds, I can imagine it being even nicer in the warmer weather being able to enjoy the outdoors.

Thank you very much, I would definitely come back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank HampshireGinger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
Bushey, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Booked on the living social offer 2 nights bed breakfast and GOURMET evening meal. Was very worried after all the bad reports, so when we checked in advised the receptionist this. She sent us to room 6 big mistake room tired, bed had two mattress on it, why you may ask. well this tried to cover up the fact that when you lay down you ended up in the middle of the bed. Straight back to reception and sent to the new block two minute walk from the hotel. This room was fine bit like a travel lodge room, clean and functional. But wait for it, it had no electricity back on to reception, and were upgraded to a suite. Thank goodness for that. Maybe we could finally enjoy our weekend away. Booked for gourmet evening meal at 8.00, after half hour wait received our gourmet soup! After three quarters of an hour received our gourmet sausage mash and gravy! Breakfast was lovely full English breakfast. Second gourmet meal was spent 10 minute drive away to another of Marco's restaurants The Pear Tree. Restaurant was fine but pub food not gourmet. All the staff we met were fantastic very helpful. Marco if you are reading this, please get a grip and don't put your name to anything that you cannot live up to. After all reputation is everything! No wont be back.

2 Thank Janelovestotravel123
Solihull
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We had been bought this two day deal by our children. I had read the reviews before we arrived, so forewarned was forearmed. I would describe the hotel as quaint particularly as there seemed to be muted lighting in the reception area and dining area. We did have a lovely surprise to find the room 341 in the annex to be warm, large and light. Things seemed to be looking up. Oh dear!
The meal offered that night was from a set menu with only four main dishes as choice; Cumberland sausage with mashed potato, haddock and chips, ham, egg and chips and steak (supplement £6), my husband and I had the ham, egg and chips, it is what it is. The next evening, Monday, we were ordering taxi for the Pear Tree Inn only to be told that they do not open on a Monday or Tuesday evening, so we would be eating again at the hotel. Again offered set menu plus another larger menu which contained the steak dish, no supplement, which I decided to have, again a poor choice, tasteless and no one seemed to know what cut of steak it was.
The staff were very pleasant and helpful particularly the staff serving meals and the staff in the bar, however I found the drinks rather expensive, very surprised when we paid the bill at £113 for two nights for two people, this did include two bottles of wine. It was a pleasant surprise to find that the pool table was free.
I didn't mind that the tv was small or that the local radio playing in the background, but I am surprised that MPW is happy for his name to be put to this hotel without ensuring that the food is of a high standard, it needs work.
It is close to Bath, we had a lovely day out.

Room Tip: Room 341 A pleasant room with king size bed, two sofas, coffee table, lots of room, warm, light and...
1 Thank Helenbsolihull

Travelers are raving about these Corsham hotels

Birmingham
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Had heard some mixed reports before we stayed at the hotel but we really liked it. I was pleased we decided to upgrade to an executive room as these were lovely and spacious with everything we needed, Food was quirky but we loved it as it was so different, breakfast for us was great with a good choice not just full English like so many hotels. From talking with friends I think the rooms in the main house need some attention but imagine this is work in progress.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and upgrade to an executive room
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Integrity21
Essex
Reviewed February 12, 2014

After reading all the reviews on here I was worried to say the least about our upcoming break on the Living Social Deal ! We chose to stay in the annexe the room was bright and clean but just needed a bit of updating little things like net curtain pole need to be fixed and the curtains were shabby. I think we have been spoilt on other B&B stays as there were no little extras just the basics. We had a lovely meal on both nights of our stay ( must recommend the Chilean Merlot !!!), We loved the pear-tree inn the men even more because they had real ale !!! I agree that breakfast was a little basic but there was plenty of choice with the hot food I ask for a couple of extras and they were fine about this. The Rudloe is set in a beautiful area with lots of places to explore I can recommend Lacock a prettty step back in time village ! Over all the staff were great and we had a lovely time.

Bath
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Held my BIG recent Birthday here in their function room, it couldnt have been better ! All of the staff concerned were excellent both before the event and during. Helen in Events and both of the two Davids were very helpful and made the event run very smoothly. Alot of my party guests stayed at the hotel and so during the afternoon we made full use of the large screen TV in the bar area to watch the England Rugby game which kicked the celebrations off !
This hotel has charm, charisma and is strikingly different to the "run of the mill" average hotel. Personally i love it and cannot fault it for a party or event destination. Well done to the whole team !!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank ZoeWiltshire
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We did wonder if the deal we were offered through 'Living Social' was too good to be true; 2 nights in a Marco Pierre White establishment on a DBB rate for £200... alas it was.

Upon driving up to an impressive building, and after viewing the beautiful rooms on the website, we couldn't wait to settle in.... After a walk along an extremely shabby landing to our room, imagine our dismay when we turned the key and entered a room that instantly reminded me of an only fools and horses episode, the jolly boys outing to Margate, where the accommodation was somewhat grim! A room that was definitely not pictured on the Rudloe Arms website! Small room with drab bedding, old fashioned pictures on the wall, damp patch on the bathroom ceiling....

The dinner would make up for the lacklustre room surely? Our dietary requirements (one nut allergy, one gluten intolerant) were met well and the duty manager (we assume) explained the menu and foods we should avoid. The dinner was pleasant, the restaurant dark but lots of pictures to look at, and quite out of character for a restaurant, a local radio playing in the background.

Breakfast was a huge disappointment on both mornings. Very basic offering of juices, cereal and fruit, on display on a catering trolley outside the restaurant. My partner fancied kippers, he hadn't banked on a minnow! So on the second morning he asked for 3, to the utter disbelief of our waitress, who soon returned from the kitchen advising that chef said this would cost an extra £12.50. We declined.

After a lovely day in Bath we returned for a pre-supper nap; this wasn't to be due to a party in the bar, our room was directly above. Also a delay in getting into the room as the receptionist we had handed the key to when we left in the morning, denied that we had given it to her and she did not have it. Imagine her surprise when it was found, still behind the desk.

After a nice meal at the Pear Tree we returned to find absolutely no parking spaces. After a 10 minute ponder about what we were going to do, thankfully someone left. Off to bed to listen to the party in the bar beneath.

By Sunday morning we couldn't wait to leave. Surely it couldn't get worse, we thought, after the kipper rip-off... It could. At checkout I asked the receptionist for the detail of our extras incurred. She seemed somewhat inconvenienced by this as though it was strange I wanted to see the bill before I paid. Deciding to pay by cash, I realised I was 5 pence short. When asking if she could let me off said 5 pence I was told 'no'. A group of guests, upon overhearing this, immediately came to our rescue and offered me the outstanding amount... Commenting to the receptionist that this was not very accommodating, to which she replied 'it's not my decision to make'. Utterly ridiculous customer service. 5p!!!!!!!!!!!

To conclude, we wonder if the lack of service and courtesy shown by receptionist, along with sub standard room was due to us being part of a deal? We shan't be booking another deal any time soon, that's for sure!!!

Room Tip: Room 3, located above the bar, therefore somewhat noisy with lingering cooking smells, one to avoid!
4 Thank Ali W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corsham
Guyers House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Colerne
Shaw Country House Hotel
Best Western Plus Angel Hotel
Travelodge Chippenham Leigh Delamere Eastbound

Been to Rudloe Arms? Share your experiences!