“Great value, but a little room for improvement”
Review of Rudloe Arms

Rudloe Arms
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Corsham
Truro, United Kingdom
“Great value, but a little room for improvement”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I stayed at Rudloe Hall for two nights - both nights were spent in the hall itself. I stayed in a classic double room on the first night - It was by no means unpleasant - in fact the décor and cleanliness were impeccable. The only issue I encountered was that, being above the bar, I could still hear the television from downstairs quite clearly until I went to complain (politely I might add). This was then rectified by a member of staff, but any hotel worth it's salt would have taken this into consideration when designing the layout.

I dined in the restaurant four times during my stay and the food was always a delight. For me the highlight was the breakfast porridge served with a raspberry coulis - a simple, yet inspired dish. All food was neatly presented and the restaurant areas were polished and prim!

On my second night I upgraded to a superior/deluxe room - Given that I only had to cough up an extra £25 for this, the difference in room quality was vast. It was on the second floor (so well away from the bar) and the views were spectacular. I do appreciate that in any period building these room discrepancies are to be expected to an extent; However, I cannot deny that the second night was much more pleasant than the first and if I ever return I will definitely be staying on the second floor.

Overall, I would say that some reviewers have been overly scathing of this place. Yes the on-going renovations and location of the bar are not ideal. Yet for me this was compensated for by the welcoming and polite members of staff, the tasteful furnishing, romantic location, ample parking and finally the je ne sais quoi?

Room Tip: Definitely aim for second floor if staying in the actual Hall.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Travelbug1322013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Chester, England
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We had stayed at Rudloe Hall some years ago and looked forward to a second visit. When we arrived at the hotel the first thing we saw was a number of vans and workmen. We entered the front door, stepping over cables and other mess to be told the hotel was being renovated. We had not been told this when we booked and would not have booked had we known. The place was dusty and dark and work was ongoing. Looking at the bar I cannot believe how they are ruining a place of character. There is a large neon sign saying Aloha and a number of pool tables. Are they trying to turn it into a sports bar? There is nothing wrong with tasteful improvements but this was far from tasteful
We were then went up some dusty and dirty steps to room 3. It was disgusting. It was small with very little furniture. The TV was the smallest I have seen for some time and the bed looked like it had collapsed. The view from the window was of a building site and there was a radio playing loudly below us. We took one look at the room and decided to leave.
I was not happy that we had not been told we would be staying on a building site and the room was a joke. The hotel should have been closed until the renovations were completed.
We paid for a deal at this hotel and will be asking for our money back. The hotel was not fit for purpose. Do not stay here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank RobChester

Travelers are raving about these Corsham hotels

Australia
Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful place, quiet, very reasonably priced, clean, and an excellent traditional hot English breakfast included in the price. We highly recommend this place. They also have ample on-site parking, and a lovely deep bath.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank hosta66
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We arrived on Sat over August Bank Holiday, had booked through Booking.com. First impression on arrival, where is the car Park? no signs anywhere, people seem to park anywhere. The outside seemed in need of major improvment. From the outside we could glance at what we assumed to be a private party in the bar. As we walked in, a desk was pushed in a corner serving as reception desk, absolutely no-one in site, after ringing the bell a couple of times without success, I decided to wonder about & find the toilets as we been on the road for several hours. What a shock as I was walking along the corridor, discovering the state of the place, stained carpets, walls in desperate need of a coat of paint, no signs anywhere. I eventually found the loos at the end of a long corridor, these could only be compared to the types in you would find in a pub that hasn't been refurbished since the 60s, the whole place was shabby & dirty. I came back to find my partner dealing with a guy in jeans who had obviously no idea about check-in & couldn't find our booking, he eventually called a girl who handed us our key, at that point no welcome message or apologies for the mix-up, the only question asked was whether we wanted to book dinner. On the basis of what we had just experienced, we decided to wait until we had seen the room.The superior room we had booked, was in the main building, on the first floor.As we dragged our suitcases up the staircase, we encountered more stained & threaded carpet, dirty paintwork, scratches everywhere and a collection of what could only be described as bric a brac furniture. The room itself was no better, dirty mis-matched furniture, plastic tray covered in a tea towel hosting the tea& coffee making facilities. TV was the smallest TV you could find on the market. Stained scratched & broken furtniture which must have been bought at a car boot sale. The Bathroom was no better. We decided that if this was a taste of what the whole place, it was best to go elsewhere for dinner. On our return there was loud TV noise coming from what we assumed to be the bar as door was shut & no sign on the door. The loud noise was coming right through the room & continued all night, impossible to sleep. When we came down for breakfast in the morning, we mentioned the noise to the girl on duty. The only reaction we got was that someone must have left the TV on in the bar! No apologies. We walked into the breakfast room, a very small buffet had been set up. Cold items consisted of 3 types of cereals, juice & toast, no fruit, yoghurts, croissants, danish, bread, cheese, cold cuts or any other items. I went to the hot station to ask for scrambled eggs only to be told that today was fried eggs, when I asked if they could provide something else I was told no, just fried eggs. I ended up with cereals & toast for breakfast, definitely not something you would expect in a Hotel. The gentleman behind me asked for a croissant & was served after several minnutes a single croissant on a plate by the same guy we had met at reception. Within a few minutes the gentleman called the waiter again, saying the
croissant was still frozen on the bottom.. We quickly check out after this, didn't really want to spend anymore time in this place, upon check-out I was waiting for the receptionist to ask us if we had enjoyed our stay as is usually the case but nothing was said.At £170 a room for the night, this is definitely not value for money. in contrast we had a fantastic stay at the Beaulieu Hotel in the new Forest on our second night & only wished we had stayed there two nights.

Room Tip: Don't stay in rooms over the bar
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Evelyne B
Sittingbourne
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We fancied a few nights away, what better than a deal at Rudloe Hall, Dinner, Bed and Breakfast for two at a great price. Currently undergoing a make over Mr Marco Pierre White is putting his mark on this lovely old building. I think the term is shabby chic, the walls in the dinning areas are covered in limited edition photo,s of famous people, a great talking point during the meal (We were told by the staff that one of the photo's cost £10,000), the food although a limited menu at the moment was every bit as good as one of Mr White top resturants. We have never met staff as friendly and helpful as the staff at the Hall they are a credit to Mr White. We had a room in the annex which consisted of a large bedroom, larger lounge, small kitchen and bathroom all set in 14 acres of grounds and Gardens. We will be revisiting its a great base to use for exploring a beautiful part of our Country.

Room Tip: Go for the annex its a two minute work from the main hotel and the rooms are larger
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John R
Hoddesdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I chose this hotel on lastminute.com as the description sounded wonderful and ideally located for the weekend in the West Country. I arrived with other family members on Friday before the August Bank Holiday, dismayed at the lack of set parking. And we had to dodge the decorators outside of the main building. At this point we discovered that the hotel was going under refurbishment. At time of booking we were not told of this.

We were given the rooms in the newer annex. The rooms were small, bland.. The bed very comfy! The room you could hear the plumbing, could hear doors shutting at all times of night and day. The rooms very very hot, no sign of air con so had to sleep with the balcony door open just to let a bit of air in to the room. The bathroom substandard as the grout was dirty, in one bathroom: the plug hole in the bath had not been cleaned out it was full of hair.

Saturday Breakfast: Fabulous I mentioned that I had a wheat allergy and they had some gluten free bread, which was very nice, and the cooked breakfast was so hot and lovely. Had a good choice in yoghurts, fruit and cereals. This is when we discovered who owned it.

Dinner Saturday: We decided to eat in the restaurant Mistake!!! I asked if they had gluten free bread, no apology was given part from that they had run out. To start with the starter was missing croutons. We sent back two mains one had over cooked eggs n the steak and chips were freezing cold. The Waitress was so apologetic and felt it was her fault which it wasn't. It seemed that the chef hadn't bothered to read menu. The best bit of the meal was the RICE PUDDING!!!!

Sunday Breakfast: Totally different to Saturday. I asked like I did the day before still no gluten free bread in. No choice of yoghurt, fruit. The cooked option was kept warm on serving plates. The bacon, mushrooms and eggs all cold. The only hot thing was the half of tomato.

Yes Marco Pierre White might own it but very disappointed that it was so poor.

Room Tip: If you MUST book here make sure you get the main building
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Spursgirl13
Hoddesdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Booked the Rudloe Hall Hotel as a last minute get away.

On arrival on the Friday before the long weekend, we were greeted by the fact that fairly extensive renovations were in progress - which had not been advised when booking, this is the first of only a number of disappointments of this hotel.

We parked - no clear parking spaces and managed to avoid the paint tins and ladders.

Welcome was good, and after a fairly painless check- in we were directed to the new block , our daughter in one room, and us in another on the same floor. The rooms are best described as small, with a bathroom which is similar with a shower over the bath. The bath is one that leaves a lot to be desired, hair from a previous occupant on the plughole, and the grout needing treatment and showing the first signs of mould.

Bed was comfortable, but the room was hot, no aircon, so need to leave the windows open. The blocks plumbing is extremely noisy, and we can tell when other people use the taps/shower, and the water pressure makes flushing the toilet difficult.

Breakfast well interesting, no clear confirmation of what milk the hotel used, a basket of jams at first sight all blackcurrant, but if you dig down there was a full range! A plus was that gluten free bread was available (on request) and a reasonable range of choice on the menu.

We looked at the menu for the evening and decided that we would give the in house restaurant a try that evening (having eaten out the previous night) - the menu we saw was symptomatic of the hotel, menu on one side crest and name on the other (i.e. printed on the wrong side!)

Dinner should have been good, a menu of comfort foods (simple) which sounded great.

We chose onion soup with croutons - delivered without croutons, and people seemed surprised that we might want some!

On mains we ordered Wiltshire Ham egg and chips - the ham was at best shop purchased with wafer thin square slices rather than expected hand carved ham eggs over done, chips cold. It was sent back for a second attempt. Also no sign of the ordered side of tomato and onion salad. The second order was for Sausages and mash - this looked good and proved to be -but was missing the peas promised on the menu. The third cover was steak and chips, with peas. When it arrived the chips and steak were cold, so we sent that back as well.

The waitress, Laura was great friendly, helpful but embarrassed by the "failures" in the kitchen - it was almost as if the chef had not read the menu or cooked it before.

The wine, South African Pinotage was outstanding, and the sweet was great three rice puddings, with red berries was really good.

Our view if this was a standalone hotel, it would be disappointing, but a hotel with Marco Pierre White's name on it it is really unacceptable. Yes we know he has recently purchased it, and it is being refurbished - perhaps it should have closed whilst they did the refurbishment (and we do hope that the new block is refurbished as well), and potentially mastered the menu. It can't pay with only 9 covers for evening service, but frankly that was probably 9 too many! "

Sunday morning, breakfast was materially different in delivery to that on Saturday. Sunday "hot trays" in the dining room with the choice of Luke warm food, whilst Saturday was menu driven (it may have been the same choices but gives better impression and was HOT! ) No gluten free bread (apparently the supermarkets close early so they could not get any since running out at dinner the night before - does this explain the Ham at dinner supermarket own?)

Interestingly the restaurant does not feature in any rating for the town - not a surprise.

We drew the shortcoming of the hotel and our comments to the attention of the hotel general manager who promised to investigate a week later nothing! No explanations or justification leads to the view that customers are a money making venture and not valued just something to be exploited.

Do you self a favour find somewhere else to stay!

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Barry B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corsham
Guyers House Hotel
Lucknam Park
Lucknam Park
#1 of 1 in Colerne
Best Western Plus Angel Hotel

Been to Rudloe Arms? Share your experiences!