“Tree tops appartments wonderful”
Review of Rudloe Arms

Rudloe Arms
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Corsham
Reviewed August 27, 2013

This is the second time we had stayed at this hotel ,we booked an executive suite in the tree tops ,the rooms where lovely ,clean, and airy ,the staff on the sunday staff wasn't the best ,I call down to reception as we dodnt have milk ,after a bit oh iming and ahhing ,I was told I would have to meet some outside to get the milk !,no oh im so sorry ,can I bring some to your room .my son and daughter-in-law aslo stayed with our baby grandson ,we have beef this hotel up ,as my son races in castle coombe as a great place to stay ,we all went down for breakfast at 815{,breakfast started at 8am } ,the buffet breakfast was faffy bacon ,cold eggs ,cold sauages ,cold beans ect ,when the restaurant manager came around to ask if all was ok ,I said no its cold ,again NO sorry can I get all of you ,hot food ,just said oh !!
The staff this morning where amazing ,welcoming ,happy and wonderful fresh cooked breakfast .may-be the week-end staff need to train with the week staff ,
we had a great evening with the very happy and helpful builders ,my partner M U fan wanted to watch the footie and they sorted it ,his I pad needed charging and they sorted it, and they found me a lead for my laptop ,so hats off to the builders ,amazing guy that worked the reception/bar even made me a ham sandwhich how amazing ,
we will be back to vist again .

Room Tip: Room 321 The tree Tops amazing
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,059)

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Very nice hotel, currently going through a major refurb on the main building, my room was in a separate annex which must be quite new.
The room was a good size clean and finished to a high a standard.

Breakfast was good, only thing not a good selection of fresh fruit.

Staff very friendly and polite,
Will stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Looks really nice on the web, but overall very disappointing. Our room was in a separate annex building, room was ok but not well looked after it appeared. Tiny monitor style tv, no a/c or cooling and very noisy slamming doors.

The restaurant says "fine dining" - I would not agree. They said they were fully booked but could squeeze us in - restaurant throughout the night was mainly empty. It is average pub food at best, despite having Marco Pierre White as the owner.
We went for drinks in the bar before eating, but were ushered out very quickly as there was, what looked like, a staff or directors meeting going on. The bar was like a cowboy bar, and had just put up an "aloha" neon sign - very tacky and not at all in keeping with the style of house

They were obviously "refurbishing" the main hotel building - consisting of painting the floors in battleship grey, the wood in black, and hanging disco balls in the restaurant - tacky and poor taste and poor workmanship. Pity as the house could be absolutely lovely. Overall very run down, dirty and shabby

Breakfast was again very average buffet cooked breakfast - missing glasses, cups etc. Had to clear our own plates away, steal butter from finished tables etc as we gave up waiting for any service. Service was lacking, and when it was there was almost trying too hard - said all the right things but not followed up by action.

Immediate grounds are nice but stray too far and you see builders rubble tips and discarded waste.

What could be a very nice hotel was average accommodation, poor food and poor service - and I hate to think how the decor will end up based on what we saw. I would not go back there.
Very surprised that Marco Pierre White would even put his name to such an establishment without making sure it was good quality. He was at the hotel during our stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 26, 2013

My partner and I recently stayed for a couple of nights after looking for somewhere near Bath for a short break. Having read previous reviews we booked an executive double in the Treetops building adjacent to the main hotel. On arrival we were greeted by a number of builders vans on the driveway and various work going on in the main hotel. They appeared to have also dismantled the reception desk and so I had to wander down a long corridor to locate the dining room before finding a member of staff to check in. Having said that it does say the place is undergoing some refurbishment so I was not surprised though had we been staying in the main hotel would have been somewhat worried. As it was, we had a lovely big room in the Treetops building which was perfectly clean and peaceful to stay in. Breakfast was in a lovely light room overlooking garden area. It was OK but could have done with a bit more choice for those not wanting a cooked meal or blackcurrant jam with their toast! We did not eat in the restaurant so cannot vouch for the dining at the hotel. There is a bus stop right outside the hotel and although quiet it is on the main A4 so only a short journey back to Bath. Bath is always busy and I would not advise driving in. We also visited Corsham as well as a day out at historic NT Lacock village and abbey so all in all a good time. Rudloe Hall itself is a typical Victorian country house with original features intact and pretty garden. It could clearly be somewhere quiet special with a bit of careful TLC and it would be a shame if this did not happen. It is certainly quirky and needs a bit of money spending to refresh the décor though it appears this is in process. It always amazes me that places which have so much potential are often let down by the small details which don't cost much (welcoming reception area, fresh flowers, information leaflets, sympathetic lighting, even a bin in the bathroom) but can cost the hotel repeat bookings and recommendation to friends etc; I really hope someone at the hotel is checking their reviews. We paid £90 a night through Laterooms which is plenty and I don't think we would have paid the full rate to stay here. However, the staff were all very friendly, we had a comfortable stay and we would certainly consider it as somewhere to stay if visiting Bath again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Having booked 4 nights in the Pear Tree Inn on Late rooms we were contacted by Pear Tree to say the Saturday night was unavailable. We could stay that night at the sister Hotel, Rudloe Hall, then the 3 nights at the Pear Tree! We decided to stay the whole 4 nights at the Rudloe instead of swapping. It was not our best decision!
When we arrived(about 5 pm ) we were given our room key to the outside block. however when we entered the room it was clear it was not cleaned and ready for us. We immediately went back to Reception who apologised and called a man. We were ushered into the sitting room, and part way through their conversation the door was shut on us. After a few minutes the man (don't know who he was as he didn't introduce himself) assured us another room was available. This was in the outside block again.
The room was ok, however as it only had a door to the outside and no window, we had no ventilation during the night. We were on the ground floor. The area outside was not inviting, weeds and uncut grass, and a vermin catcher!
On a plus note the evening meal was good. Breakfasts were ok, had to wait for bowls for cereal, and one morning directed to a table that wasn't set up completely, and had to ask for cutlery , butter and milk! Never did get the cutlery. Also the tables were very sticky, had to use both hands to move a plate on the table.
Was quite disappointed with the whole experience, even tho it is only a three star Hotel, we were expecting a little more. Unfortunately we won't be recommending this to anyone we know.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jam92564
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a wedding. Our room was in the annexe and it was very nice.
If you stay here and it is dry (it was very hot when we stayed) there is a problem. If you have to walk from the annexe to the main building make sure you do so when there are no cars driving past - the dust cloud from the driveway was beyond belief. When we left, my car was covered in a thick layer of dust.
My only other comment relates to the cooked breakfast - it was pretty awful. There was no choice and the bacon was overdone beyond belief. It was suggested by one of our party that it had been cooked sometime earlier, then heated up in a microwave....whatever.... it was bad - Marco PW needs to focus on the food here. Tip - you will get a much better breakfast at the Little Chef down the road!

Room Tip: The best rooms are in the annexe.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jackwh1946
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed for a wedding which was at the hotel. We had booked a deluxe room @ £129, (apparently the standard rate) I concur with other posted comments regarding the reception area. Not the most positive welcome.
Our deluxe room on the 1st floor had a four poster bed which was nice. The room was quite light and bright but unfortunately had 5 or so large flies flying around.as well as 4 or 5 dead on the windowsill. The furniture and fittings in the room were rubbish and there was barely 15inches gap between the wall on one side of the bed which made it a squeeze to get in and out. The lighting was useless, one standard lamp for the whole room and two recessed lights on one side of the bed in what appears to have been a display area at one time. No waste bin in the room. The bathroom was large and had a shower over bath, unfortunately the shower head did not appear to have been cleaned since it was installed and the lime scale on it pointed the water in every direction except the one you wanted. We had to clean it ourselves before being able to use it. The toilet seat lid had a very ugly large deep scratch across it not a good sight. No glasses in the bathroom, but there were holders. Overall the rooms had shabby carpets, dirty in some areas near the door,( covered up with a mat) and in bathroom.. The quality of style and finish of the rooms was more 1 star than anything else. The quality and service of the staff also veered towards 1 star as they made most people feel they were doing them a favour rather then good service with a smile. We won't stay here again.

Room Tip: The new rooms in a separate building are modern and have a better feel to them. However they have n...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corsham
1 mi away
The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club
Widbrook Grange
Widbrook Grange
#1 of 7 in Bradford-on-Avon

Been to Rudloe Arms? Share your experiences!