“PERFECT WEDDING VENUE”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Corsham
Bristol, United Kingdom
“PERFECT WEDDING VENUE”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Friends had booked this hotel for their wedding on 14th June. The rain held off and on arrival we were impressed by the grandness of the hotel, which is nestled in a beautiful part of the country. It is an ideal wedding venue, with friendly staff to welcome us. The grounds are a delight to explore. Our room was in the modern building adjacant to the original hall - the room (243) was clean, spacious, the bathroom was large and the shower excellent. The bed was extremely comfortable and there was a small metal 'balcony' that was just big enough to stand on and enjoy the view of the garden.
The food at the wedding was perfect - the staff were attentive and couldn't be faulted. There was a hog roast later on in the evening and again the food was absolutely delightful - I wasn't the only one who ate perhaps more than they actually needed to!
Breakfast was something of a cramped affair - there was very little room between tables but it wasn't an issue. The cooked breakfast was excellent, and cooked to perfection. Plenty of tea, coffee and orange juice to help sober us all up!
As far as I know nobody from our group had any complaints (I did manage to lose the electronic door swipe key and had to pay £5 - this was down to my own stupidity and nothing else!) - the only point I would make is that a few people, including myself, commented on the cost of drinks at the bar - a pint and a single vodka and lemonade came in at a few pence short of £9 - rather steep I thought, although I'm sure it's probably about the going rate in a hotel of this calibre - quality doesn't come cheap! I would personally recommend this hotel to anyone and would definitely visit again should the occasion arise.

Room Tip: If you want to stay in the original hall, make sure to specify that on booking - but the modern exte...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2013

When searching for a country manor house, near Bath, the photograph's and description on Rudloe's website were amazing and completely what we were after. A beautiful house in beautiful grounds, with bedrooms in keeping of the period the house was built and close enough to explore the historic Bath. However, don't be mislead by this website, the reality is much different. There certainly wasn't a photograph of the room we were actually allocated on it.

After passing through a pretty gated entrance I noticed a modern building to the left of the drive. My instance feeling was that was where our room would be, BUT I thought even if it is give it chance, it might be a lovely room and you don't spend your time in your room anyway. As we neared the rear entrance to the main house, I noticed a member of staff directing a couple to the modern building I had seen. This is when I was sure that is where we would be staying but still, I kept my mind open.

Sadly my gut feeling was correct, this is where our room was and it was NOT lovely. After being (I cant say welcomed as the term is incorrect and too polite) "addressed" by reception staff, we were given directions to the modern building which the receptionist termed "new".

Still with open minds we went across the car park and down a short lane to the new building the approach was scant, I noticed dis-guarded outdoor furniture, traffic cones and many weeds. The room was basic, but we hadn't specified deluxe or anything superior but this was a country house hotel at which you would expect more. We aren't overly fussy people and very rarely complain but the longer I sat there, more and more things screamed out at me; the curtains not all fixed to the rings and hanging off the rail, the dis-guarded furniture outside our window on a what can only be described as waste land, the paper thin walls where you could here everything going on outside and next door, the mis-matched furniture which appeared as if it had been purchased from a ex-hotel auction, random cupboards chucked in for good measure as they looked borderline old fashioned yet serving no purpose, the tea maker from the 1960's, the random old fashioned desk thrown into a cubby whole which ideally should have been used as a walk in wardrobe or storage facility, shower room where you can shower and use the toilet at the same time as they are so close together and a modern sofa. At this point my husband telephoned reception to see if we could leave and not be charged, to which we were denied.

We decided to make the most of it as we were tired and hungry and went over the main house to see if there was anywhere we could get something to eat, as nothing had been explained when we checked in. We found a member of staff passing the nigh on empty restaurant who told us they were fully booked.

It was at this point that I sat down and cried and my husband decided to speak to somebody in person. We went to main reception and explained the situation briefly. The lady at reception went to find the manager who came and we explained our situation again; the fact that we felt very disappointed and mislead and that we were on our honeymoon and very upset. To this he said that we were OK to leave and would not be charged. We were denied previously but to be fair who wants a crying bride in their reception? I'm sure our complaint couldn't have been a new one.

Once we left our spirits lifted but it was still gone 7pm and we had to find another hotel to stay in but were just delighted to be away from there and ventured to Bristol and enjoyed the Marriott more, despite preferring historic country life. Sadly we never got to see Bath.

Room Tip: If you do stay here, make sure you have a room in the main house
2 Thank amy230513

Travelers are raving about these Corsham hotels

Reviewed June 8, 2013

We stayed here recently when my daughter held her wedding here, like some of the other reviewers i didn't know what expect as i'm not from the area, i must say i think it is such a charming place, everyone in the wedding party commented on the surroundings and the gardens, there was never any pressure from the staff they just took everything in their stride, considering we had a bouncy castle in the grounds and played cricket on the lawn i was impressed by the relaxed atmosphere afforded by all the staff.
The old hall has a lot of character and i found the tired carpet added to the overall warmth of the place, we stayed in the annexe near the entrance which has a more modern typical hotel feel, fortunately, we stayed on the first floor as the lift actually lets the place down it is desperately slow in both responding to the call button and also travelling from floor to floor, i would have enjoyed the old hall more if there were rooms available. As others have mentioned, the breakfast was excellent in both choice of variety and presentation. Would love to go back in less arduous conditions.

Room Tip: As i have mentioned, if you are put in the annexe ask for a ground or first floor room as the lift l...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a couple of nights with my 9 year old daughter over the school half term, It was a great location for us as we were visiting Longleat and Bath. We had had a very busy first day at Longleat so a speedy check in and a table booked for dinner was just what we needed. The staff were very friendly and helpful especially the barman and the young waitress, they made us both feel welcome from the start. Lovely surroundings and a really nice evening meal. The room was adequate for our needs although we did both wish that we had stayed in the main house as it looked very charming and quaint, but for the price that i had paid we were more than happy The room was lovely and clean with a very nice and fresh bathroom. Breakfast was good they have a great choice to suit all tastes, I must say that i was impressed with the choice on the breakfast menu and that on our second morning the hotel was very busy during the breakfast service as they had a wedding party in, which had no affect on the level of service or quality of our breakfast. Overall we had a lovely couple of nights here and i would stay here again when i next visit Bath. Oh beautiful gardens too.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the main house, It has a lot more charm.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We decided to take a last minute trip to Bath and booked the last available room in the old house. The hotel is a relatively short drive from Bath and although close to a busy road, it is set on a plot of land with a drive and a lovely garden.

I thought the old building was actually impressive from the outside but as others have said, it is definitely neither a modern hotel nor a stately home turned luxury hotel. As long as your expectations are set correctly, it is a really nice place to stay.

We were given a double room at the top of the house. The carpets were rather worn and the room generally felt in need of a refresh, but it met our needs wonderfully and we actually liked the authenticity of things like the free-standing bathtub and period features. The bedding was comfortable and clean and we had a good night's sleep.

In the morning, the room where we had breakfast had a great view of the gardens and there was a generous spread. We had a little wander around the house and there were some great views of the surrounding countryside. For the right price and for a night or two, it was a great find.

england
Reviewed May 26, 2013

After reading the negative reviews, we were worried what to expect when we arrived at the hotel as we diidn't know quite what to expect. Well,I honestly cannot agree with all the negativity as we had a lovely stay in an executive double room in the new building. We had our large dog with us and usually hotels that accomodate dogs are rather shabby but our room was lovely! Spacious and clean, comfy bed, power shower and friendly helpful staff. We had dinner in the restaurant which was really good and a lovely (smoked salmon and scrambled egg ! ) breakfast in the morning. The grounds are a bonus and the setting and views are great and you dont hear any traffic noise.
I began to wonder whether we were at the wrong hotel and this hotel, in my opinion does not deserve the rubbish reviews it has been getting. Give it a try, we will have no hesitation in booking again and we are fussy travellers ( especially the dog and he liked it too (
The only negative comment I can make was a personal hygiene problem with one of the male waiting staff at breakfast, but that was the only thing we could fault.
Thank you Rudloe Hall, see you again when we next visit Bath.

northants
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Stayed here on a Groupon deal which was fine but not what we expected.

Like others it was the Marco Pierre White connection which caused us to book this hotel.

He is meantioned on the home page but his presence is not noted in the food and drink page and it seems he has something to do with a pub nearby so still not sure of the connection.

We stayed in the annex which seems to have been converted from retirement flats, very strange layout and furnishings. Still the bed was comfortable and the bathroom fine, it was all clean but lacked any style or warmth, a place to sleep only.

We had dinner in the restaurant which was empty apart from one other couple. When I asked for the wine list I was informed that there was no wine as they were waiting for a delivery, all they had were some bottles left over from a wedding at the weekend! I asked for beer, no again other than tinned Guinness. So that was that.

Breakfast was OK but just about.

All in all not what we expected but for the price we paid we could not complain too much and the girls were doing their best and quite charming even when trying to serve left over wine.

Room Tip: Rooms were good but boring.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corsham
Guyers House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Colerne
Shaw Country House Hotel
Best Western Plus Angel Hotel
Travelodge Chippenham Leigh Delamere Eastbound

Been to Rudloe Arms? Share your experiences!