We stayed in Room 4 of The Castle for a midweek, pre-Christmas escape. We had initially considered Clifton House, but they did not have a room with an ensuite bath available and, at 8 months pregnant, I really wanted to feel pampered. I am so glad that ultimately we chose The Castle.
The pub itself is lovely, unpretentious and convivial with great staff and lots of atmosphere. Pierre was a charming and helpful host. The dinner menu was wide ranging and well priced, and the food was great. We withdrew from our table in the "dining" rooms for our dessert (the policy of not taking bookings did mean I felt a bit guilty inhabiting a table a minute longer than necessary, as it was a busy night) and instead shared our incredible date-and -toffee pudding in capacious leather armchairs in front the fire in the bar- and could have quite happily stayed there all night; it felt very festive.
However, I also didn't want to miss spending some time in our fantastic room- the dark and decadent bronze and maroon depths of the bedroom, and the ultra modern, epic size of the bathroom with walk through shower and 6 foot freestanding bath- fantastic, and complimented with slate floor with underfloor heating, and a fantastic view from the bath. The whole place is quirky and unique, with wonky doors and floors, and they have really worked hard on the decor and soft furnishings to make these elements totally charming.
Rooms 4 and 3 have the views out to Westbury, no road outside and also sit above the quieter "dining" rooms of the pub below. On saying that, pub noise was evident during opening hours, as one would expect- but silence after last orders meant we had a great night's sleep in the super-king sized bed.
Breakfast- a very civilised 8.30am-12noon - was also fantastic, with the best bacon and sausage I've had in a b&b.
The Castle is situated on Mount Pleasant, and the penalty for the lovely view is a steep walk up or down to the main shops and pubs of Bradford on Avon. However, I managed this in (in my current unwieldy pregnant state) under 10 minutes without problem.
I would absolutely recommend this as a pub, restaurant and bed and breakfast, and very romantic getaway.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A beautiful freehouse pub with 4 generously proportioned luxury boutique bedrooms with stunning views over the Georgian rooftops of the pretty town of Bradford on Avon & beyond. Just 7 miles from the historic city of Bath, The Castle is set in a characterful Georgian building & has traded as an Inn for 160 years. Lovingly, sympathetically & imaginatively restored The Castle has a playful eccentricity that is Cluedo country house meets traditional country pub. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your The Castle Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Castle Hotel Bradford-On-Avon
- The Castle Inn Bradford-On-Avon, England