“BEST BED I EVER SLEPT IN, GREAT BREAK.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Swan Hotel

and 1 more site!
Swan Hotel
London
“BEST BED I EVER SLEPT IN, GREAT BREAK.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2010

I have friends in Bradford on Avon and so i know and like the town. This time I was v tired after a long year of work and needed a 3- day lazy escape doing nothing but sleeping, relaxing and having long baths and maybe the odd walk to a pub to eat. I'd seen the Swan but never stayed there but I got a good deal and so I took it and had a great time, achieving the relaxation I wanted. The room was big and spacious and the en suite had a proper bathroom with bath. The bed was amazing and the duvet luxurious. I actually took the names of the makers for both as when I get a new bed I'll copy this one. getting into this bed was bliss. Bathroom spotless and shower great. With the car park you can of course park your car right outside. You are right in the middle of town which is great. Nice bar with proper local bitter, breakfast was great, staff very friendly. I had a few beers one night sitting in front of the big open fire. It's opposite one of the best 2 pubs in town - The Dandy Lion (the other is the Bunch of Grapes). It's a great place in a great town. On the Sunday I had a boatman's breakfast at the Boatman cafe then walked the canal before back to evening meal at The Barge and back to the swan to crash out in total comfort. I'm hoping to go back very soon. I stayed at another hotel nearby once and found the Swan better. I'll be back soon for more r and r. Only possible downside was slight raised voices from the back door area on saturday night - people going out to have a ciggie etc. It would be good if the staff could warn people there may be others trying to sleep above, but really it was not too bad at all fine and I am looking forward to coming back asap.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Southampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2010

Although It was early September when we visited, it is only now that we have been able to write our Summer reviews. The Swan looked like a great place on the outside, and when we arrived the inside was also very nice. Clean, old fashioned but with modern furnishing. We were visiting my Aunt who lives in Bradford on Avon and is a semi regular, who likes coming in for coffee or special offer lunches.

We were greeted by a very happy, bubbly lady with a strong European accent, who upon recognising my Aunt, went into a speech about how busy and tired she was how short of staff they were. Quite a character I said to my Aunt, who informed me that she is the managers partner.
It was during the course of the afternoon, that through various members of staff and customers and even what seemed to be friends of staff, that we as a family sitting quietly in the bar learned all about internal problems with staff and ex staff and their personal lives and problems, we even learned about what seemed to be hotel guests and their jobs etc!

It was truly shocking, I'm sure that gossip goes on, but leave it in the staff room! When you are serving behind a bar, please don't gossip with the chef who has come out, or with customers having a quiet pint at the bar. We were only sat in the corner trying to have a coffee etc, not even part of the conversation, but we learned everything about everyone! If the manager does read this, girlfriend or not, please have a word with your staff! Customers do not want this sort of thing!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank DanielLucas

Travelers are raving about these Bradford-on-Avon hotels

Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2010

Great old pub, rooms renovated, but VERY small and I mean tiny! We did request another room downstiars (3 flights) but said none were available. We think we were given probably the cheapest rooms, other business travellers were on the lower floors. However they did carry the bags up for us, If you book request a room on lower floors.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank LucystellaAustralia
Leeds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2010

Clean, stylish yet cosy hotel updated coaching inn. Good food in restaurant. Small parking area. Right in the centre of Bradford-upon-Avon.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Brighton, UK.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2010

We stayed at The Swan on the 29th August and can only say what a lovely place this is. Our room was lovely - beautifully decorated and clean, the huge bathroom had a big free standing bath, a lovely shower and big fluffy towels. The staff were friendly and helpful. We had a coffee and drink when we returned from visiting our Aunt(who lives locally) and sat in the very nice and comfy bar area. Bradford is a lovely little town and makes a good base for visiting nearby cities such as Bath. Our breakfast waitress a nice polish girl was super efficient and served breakfasts efficiently yet made it look effortless. Breakfast was good with plenty of choice. All in all an excellent stay - a minor quibble would be no soap dish in the bathroom that meant there was no where to put the soap once you had washed your hands, if you put it on the wooden shelf(the bowl sink was on) it stuck fast. But a minor quibble which didnt detract from our wonderful stay.

Grantham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2010

After reading reviews on Tripadvisor we were looking forward to our three night stay at The Swan, so were extremely disappointed when we arrived. Tired, unloved, unwelcoming, dull and shabby are how we would describe our first impression. This beautiful old, typically English building should be full of character, charm and atmosphere - sadly non were present. Our bedroom was tiny, not very clean (lots of spiders)and was dominated by the squeezed-in wardrobe. However, the bedding and towels were immaculately clean and sparkly white. Our breakfast was not good. My husband's cooked breakfast was under cooked and my scrambled egg was soggy with a large ugly pile of smoked salmon that I just couldn't stomach. The cutlery and crockery were stuck to the tables, the tea tasted awful. We complained to the Duty Manager who was most apologetic and very keen to improve our stay. He moved us to another room which was a roomy suite and much better, other than having to remove two huge spiders. The Swan is so very understaffed, we think this could be one of their main problems. The young man who served breakfast on our last morning was then behind the bar, and then came to reception to check us out. Reception being not much more than a walk-in cupboard for staff whilst the customer stands in the doorway!

The Swan would benefit from a huge investment to rectify the problems, hopefully one day this might happen. If so, we will return, but not otherwise, I'm afraid.

Bradford on Avon is a lovely town with some great places to eat and drink. We would strongly recommend both The Dandy Lion Pub - great staff and atmosphere, and Little Venice an Italian Restaurant serving wonderful, wonderful food with a warm welcome and smiling faces from the staff.

1 Thank alsma
Gloucester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2010

My wife and I spent a Saturday night here as a last minute break.Although the Swan ususally only books rooms for 2 night stays over a weekend, they were able to accommodate us. We found the staff to be friendly, helpful and very efficient. The room was comfortable and clean, the bed was one of the best hotel beds I've slept in. The resturant was good and the food was excellent, with good choice for all tastes. Even I was almost tempted by one of the vegitarian dishes. The bar was lively, but not rowdy and there was a good choice of ale and wine. Being in the centre of Bradford on Avon exploring the town was a breeze and we had some lovely walks. We will definately be going back.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bradford-on-Avon
BEST WESTERN Leigh Park Hotel
#2 of 7 in Bradford-on-Avon
BEST WESTERN Limpley Stoke Hotel
Premier Inn Trowbridge Hotel
Fieldways Hotel & Health Club

Been to Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!