We have just returned from a fabulous couple of days at Woolley Grange. Overall our trip was first class, but we have dropped a star due to one disappointment and a few (admittedly pedantic) niggles.
We were given a very warm welcome to the hotel. Our room was perfect for our needs. We are a family of four with a three year old and three month old. We stayed in Magnolia which had a sitting room-cum-bedroom, bathroom and main bedroom. When we arrived the room was prepared with two cots; however, we needed a sofa bed and had bought a Moses basket with us for the baby and this was rectified immediately. The room was spotlessly clean and well equipped, with extras such as a changing mat and naps bin.
Both children spent time in the crèche. The staff were wonderful, particularly Karen who looked after our baby and babysat for us one evening. The Den itself had so much for the children to do our three year old couldn't wait to get back there on day two! The rabbit was also a big hit.
The spa was a real treat. The pool is a good size and the spa treatment fantastic. The changing area is a little small and must get quite tricky at very busy times, but this was not problematic for us.
We all loved the walled garden and seeing what was being grown, as well as meeting the chickens and ducks! The play area and houses were really sweet and had the weather been a little warmer we could have been out there all day.
Meals in the orangery were very good, particularly the children's menu. Children's meals could either be preordered, or if ordering on being seated children were brought a small starter so rumbling tummies were kept at bay. Lunch was good but slightly overpriced. Breakfast fabulous! The staff were great - particular mention to Richard for entertaining us with his encyclopaedic knowledge of Disney and Louise for providing the 'magic pillow' for our daughter's sore tummy,
Our evening meal in the candlelight restaurant was truly superb. The coffee parfait one of the best desserts we have ever tried. Unfortunately this was where the disappointment did arise though. We had understood on booking that the restaurant was adult only in the evening, and this fact was reiterated on check in when we were shown round Woolley Grange. However, on the evening which we ate in the restaurant one family had for some reason been allowed to have their children dine with them. Two of the children were of primary school age and kept getting up from the table and at one point even started singing. (At which the couple on a neighbouring table asked to complete their meal in the adjoining lounge). This is not meant as a criticism of the family involved as the kids were just being kids and certainly not badly behaved, but of the hotel for bending the rules in this way. This meal was meant to be our opportunity for some kid free time and we had been looking forward to it for some time. Such a shame that the atmosphere in the dining room was spoilt in this way as it would have been perfect otherwise. Particularly irritating given the cost of the meal. The food is worth every penny and ordinarily this wouldn't be a problem but the atmosphere being disturbed meant the value was undermined. Unfortunately the manager was not available for us to discuss this before we left the hotel due to working patterns.
Otherwise a couple of minor pieces of feedback:
- on checking in to our room every light was left on, they were also all left in by housekeeping the next day. Despite bright days lights were also on all over communal areas. This just seemed really at odds with the sustainability message of the work being done elsewhere at Woolley Grange.
- we had to hunt down staff on a couple of occasions, once to order lunch and once to order evening drinks. Not hugely problematic and the staff were super on the whole, but may be an issue for some.
- a step for small children to use to the very high sink in the bathroom (as provided in the communal loos) would have been useful.
But overall what a fantastic stay - THANK YOU!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A family-friendly hotel, restaurant and spa set in 14 acres of lovely grounds on the edge of Bradford on Avon and the Cotswolds. Freshly cooked food from the walled kitchen garden, comfy country bedrooms, open fires, children's club and ELEMIS spa with two swimming pools. Pets welcome too! Only 15 minutes from beautiful Bath...ideal for a town and country break. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Woolley Grange reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Woolley Grange Hotel Bradford-On-Avon
- Woolley Grange Bradford-On-Avon, England