“Truly family friendly” 5 of 5 bubbles

Woolley Grange
London
“Truly family friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

The hotel really lived up to its claim to be family friendly and it was almost like staying in a friend's country house. From the rows of wellies by the front door to Monty, the lively cocker spaniel, the open fires, the cosy lounges and the very friendly staff, this is somewhere you can really relax. We spent a very enjoyable family weekend there - 6 adults, a two year old and one-year old. Our rooms were very spacious (my husband and I had the John Baskerville suite which was on two levels and particularly nice). We all appreciated treatments in the spa, the little ones played happily in the nursery (and liked the hens) and the food was good. The listening service worked well and we also had a babysitter one evening. The location is excellent - a safe 15 minute walk into Bradford-on-Avon which is a charming and interesting town.
Our only negative comments were that the lighting in our suite sitting room was inadequate for reading and breakfast could have been more imaginative.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Clare-Hammond, General Manager at Woolley Grange, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Jinty27

Thank you for posting a review following your recent stay with us. Woolley has something for all ages so works very well as a destination for a break with the extended family.

Thank you for the comments about the lighting and breakfast which I will review.

Best wishes, Clare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

Really lovely, cosy hotel. Very welcoming and family friendly, feels a bit like staying in a slightly chaotic but warm family home - complete with springer spaniel puppy Monty. We stayed 3 nights with our 3 month old daughter and had a lovely time. The spa is new and the therapists were very friendly and accommodating. The pool is warm and clean - perfect for our baby's first swim. You do have a 2 min walk outside to get to it though. Our room -John Baskerville - was beautiful, and huge - on 2 floors it felt like staying in our own little cottage (although as we're both quite tall we did have a couple of bumps from low wooden beams) and the views of the countryside were great. We spent each evening in our room thanks to the baby and it was lovely to relax on the sofa with a glass of wine and some nibbles. Room service was easy too! Breakfast could have done with a couple more members of staff to serve, seat and replenish the buffet but other than that it was all great. Definitely recommended. Other reviewers have commented on it being more "shabby" than "chic" and yes, that's probably true, BUT it is an old, charming Jacobean house with loads of kids running around, "chic" wouldn't suit it! It was clean and cosy which is all we wanted!

Room Tip: John Baskerville suite was huge while still lovely and cosy (albeit with low ceilings)
Dear LuceH

Thank you very much for reviewing your stay at Woolley. It sounds as though you have enjoyed the homely, relaxing style with a combination of parent time and time for yourselves.

For your next visit, we would be very happy to talk about alternative rooms, but maybe ones with a little more head height, as they all vary!

Best wishes, Clare
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

As grandparents we spent a very enjoyable weekend with both daughters and their families at this hotel. It has a very relaxed atmosphere and nothing was too much trouble. As there were 10 of us we were treated to a small ante room for all the meals taken with the children which meant that we needn't have worried about the noise or behaviour of 4 small children. Our bedrooms were all very close which meant that children could run between rooms without disturbing other guests although clearly there were lots of other children there so it really didn't matter. The meal in the evening was lovely and the staff were very helpful and friendly. We actually went in March but the facilities outside were good with plenty of activities and an outdoor pool. We still managed to walk around the grounds which were well looked after and the views were stunning. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel for families who wish to spent time all together. In fact it was so good we are considering repeating the weekend again at the end of the year! This hotel is part of a group and have also stayed at The Elms but I think this one is ever so slightly better!!

Room Tip: Always ask for a room with view. My daughter's family room overlooked the roof of the conservat...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Clare-Hammond, General Manager at Woolley Grange, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear Sarah H

Thank you very much for your feedback following your stay with your extended family. I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable time.

You mention that you are thinking about returning later in the year. We offer better rates and sometimes special offers the further in advance you book and these then change to normal rates as the date approaches, so booking in advance is strongly advised.

We look forward to welcoming you back later in the year. Best wishes, Clare.
Melksham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

With two children (3 & 1) I wanted to find somewhere that had something for the whole family to enjoy and where we could locally visit time & time again and not get tired of it. Alas, the Woolley Grange was recommended by a neighbour & another local hotel. We became Spa members last August and have never looked back.
The main selling point for us had to be the beautifully decorated and equipped Woolley Den. The staff are fantastic (Joan & Karen in particular) my children adore them and always have a wonderful experience. From making cakes, moulding play dough, colouring or playing with the vast array of books and toys- they are never bored.
On the grounds of the hotel there is also so much for the children to be occupied with- my particular favourite is the Woolley Garden. Walk into a walled garden where they grow their own vegetables, a beautifully fenced mini garden is waiting with 2 wooden Wendy houses, a real (made safe tractor) and even a sand pit. The Wendy houses are amazing- one is a beautiful mini house with table, chairs, appliances, table wear, pots & pans etc. The other is the Woolley shop consisting of a till, baskets, wooden crates and lots of wooden food. So much imaginary play and fresh area- perfect. To the right of the Woolley Garden are the chickens, my son is fascinated with them and would quite happily sit and watch them clucking around for half an hour. They also have a trampoline (great fun but the only disappointing aspect is I can't throw the children off and have a go by myself), tennis/ badminton net, croquet, swing ball & table tennis. To the left of the den there is a wooden play area with swings and slides.
Now on to the spa. The changing rooms are perfect (in my opinion), leaving your shoes outside (in the reception) you walk into a clean, family friendly changing area. The family room has a shower, toilet, travel cot and a pull down nappy changing mat area. All these things really do help and are very well thought through with patents in mind. The swimming pool has a glass ceiling and a glass wall (I'd describe it as a conservatory type room) with lots of toys and swimming aids for the children. There a steam room and sauna, sadly I haven't had much use out of them but according to my husband they are good. There is also an outdoor pool but I haven't been brave enough (with the weather) to use it yet.
I've had had two facials in the spa (given by Amy) and my husband has had a massage and reflexology which were all thoroughly enjoyed.
The main house is wonderful. My favourite room is the lounge. I love the big sofas and open fire looking out onto the grounds (I'm often found sat there having a break with a coffee & biscuits whilst the children are in the den). The orangery has recently been refurbished and looks splendid.
The staff are fantastic (especially Vicky & Poppy). We are always greeted with a smile, they are great with the children and services has always been very quick. There is also a cinema room and a smaller lounge area with an open fire (all the fires do have gates around them to stop any little hands touching). Lots of newspapers, magazines, games and toys dotted around for people to make use of.
The food is superb. It's the only place where I have been that offer different sized childrens portions. They even bring the children a healthy appetiser before their meal. Miniature cutlery is also provided for them. The cream teas are delicious and they also have a child's version in this.

Last September my husband & I were married and (very last minute) decided to hold our "reception" here. We had roughly 30 guests and they catered to it beautifully. The food was delicious, the staff accomadated to all of our guests and Vicky did an amazing job of putting it all together for us.
As for the rooms of the hotel, I really can't comment about staying in them but from what I have seen they look well equipped for the children and comfortable.
The last thing I must mention is Monty the cocker spaniel. My daughter (3) literally begs me to take her to see him- she loves him and he is always happy to have a cuddle and let my son (1) give him a stroke.
If you're looking for a relaxed, comfortable, friendly, luxury, family hotel then you can't do any better. From a mothers point of view it is simply perfect and I would be lost without it.

1 Thank 894Amelie2010
Dear 894Amelie2010

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your regular visits to Woolley Grange as a Spa member. The team love looking after you and love the fact that Woolley is your bolthole.

See you very soon. Best wishes, Clare
Cowbridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

The service and staff here are excellent, truly first class, but when we visited with friends to have lunch we had high expectations and were disappointed . The food is certainly delicious but overpriced we felt as the portions were small .My husband had a delicious risotto of chicken and chorizo but was still left hungry after the 'cordon-bleu' sized portion. Our meal for four adults and two children came to £ 108 which were shocked by, considering that we only consumed four adult main courses, two children's main courses , one desert and three glasses of wine! we later realised that we had been charged £6 for each glass, despite the fact that they were small/ single measures served in large glasses .One of our party ordered coffee which came lukewarm and without the attractive biscuits that we saw served to other guests. The setting in the orangery was lovely and the staff couldn't do enough for us. Our main gripe, however, was with the outside space and facilities that we had read so much about, and were the reason why we had travelled so far to have lunch in a family -friendly environment. Our children dragged us into the attractively-decorated 'den', but we overheard staff whispering under their breaths how it "..... wasn't too long now " , (presumably talking about their shifts doing childcare), despite the fact that there were only two children in their care, one a baby who was just being walked around the room. Needless to say, this did not leave a lasting impression on us as prospective clients! In addition the grounds looked tired and unloved ( we visited in early March);dog poo scattered where our toddler ran, a ping pong table which was almost white in colour due to damp rot, a steep slope on the edge of the field which dipped straight onto the main road ( no warning signs) and a children's slide that needed a good clean, The main let-down was the pond which could and should have been an attractive welcoming point to the main entrance, and a source of interest to children, however we simply saw two older children fishing out a dead fish with a stick, It was filthy and murky, awash with dead leaves and several chocolate bar wrappers. ( we overheard another parent saying that she was surprised at how unclean this was) We simply wondered how the management had become so apparently lazy about these details . When I asked the (lovely) member of staff, she basically said that we were there "out of season" and in the summer the place looks much better and attention is paid to the outside space then...... a strange logic, as we assumed that all the hotels in the group cater so well for families all year round, and I would imagine that the winter would be an enticing time to visit. It was thanks to the same helpful member of staff, however, that our daughter did not end up with a serious accident, and the main reason why I have chosen to review and comment on the apparent complacency of senior staff . She noticed that the large wooden coffee table that we sitting around ( and which babies and toddlers in our party were climbing/ leaning against) had a huge sharp raised piece of metal sticking out of it and this could have caused quite a serious injury. She reported this and temporarily covered it with a napkin, but some time later no one had repaired it , despite a more senior member of staff noticing it accidentally as she went to remove said napkin, believing it to be rubbish. We would love to stay here as a family and use the pool and spa, and enjoy the food again but would be cautious after our inflated lunch bill and would want to see some time, care and love put into the building and outside space , Just because a place is clearly popular and successful, it doesn't mean that it should become laissez-faire or formulaic. I really can't emphasize enough though how helpful and courteous the staff were, particularly the restaurant staff, and this was such a valuable and positive part of our Woolley Grange experience.

Room Tip: we did not stay so cannot comment
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Licktle

Thank you very much for your review following your lunch with us earlier this month. I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed the quality of service and the staff. I would encourage you to visit again as the grounds were rather dormant when you visited at the end of February and to show you that the detail is important to us and we can look after you the way you expected.

Best wishes
Clare
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

Having stayed at a number of the other Luxury Family Hotel group hotels we knew to expect wonderful accommodation geared perfectly for families. Woolley Grange is by far the best hotel of the group we have stayed in so far. From the friendliness of the staff, the facilities for the children (not to mention the spa for mum and dad) to the food on offer - we were really pleased. The kids loved the creche and wanted to spend as much time as possible there. We loved to sit and enjoy the reading room, the afternoon tea, the grounds and scenery. When you do manage to leave the hotel it is perfectly situated for a trip to Bath, Longleat Safari Park and is not too far from Stonehenge either. All in all though our kids had fun and spent tons of energy, and we got to recoup ours. We're definitely going back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Ko Samui, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

We visited in November and considering our four year old son has not stopped talking about it since(four months later) I am compelled to finally write a review.
Woolley Grange is part of Luxury Family Hotels group which is why we visited. The concept of a luxury AND child friendly hotel is so overdue. We loved it as much as our little guy.
The rooms are plush and comfortable. We stayed in a two bedroom suite which was perfectly laid out and kid friendly. Games and books can be found in the common areas of the hotel as well as a sweet hotel dog.
The kids club is a winner! We've seen so many kids clubs in various hotels where the staff just sit and watch the kids from afar but the ladies at Woolley Grange were engaging and involved at all times. Our little guy did not want to leave!
We loved the outdoor space, the fields, the trampoline, the farmyard. Perfect for an outdoor adventure with a little one.
For meal times they provide an early dinner for kids and a later mealtime for adults if you would like some alone time with your spouse. It made our son feel like a king and we felt like we were on honeymoon again! There is a monitoring system in place in the rooms so a babysitter is not necessary. Once the children are in bed any sound is detected and immediately reported to the parents at dinner downstairs. So clever!
We ran out of time to make use of the spa or pool but both looked warm and inviting. Next time...
I highly recommend for families!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bradford-on-Avon
Widbrook Grange
#1 of 1 in Hinton Charterhouse
Bishopstrow House
Bishopstrow House
#1 of 3 in Warminster

Been to Woolley Grange? Share your experiences!